is it me or has seasonic been dropping the buck lately?

NickyVida

Had one defective psu after less than a week of installation. Had to rma it and the replacement might be showing signs of dying after less than 3 months in my new rig.

Really disappointed as I thought it was really reliable from reviews amongst others like corsair on the market.

Gah.

/rant

Yeah the quality is good but it really is luck of the draw sometimes

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Had one defective psu after less than a week of installation. Had to rma it and the replacement might be showing signs of dying after less than 3 months in my new rig.

Really disappointed as I thought it was really reliable from reviews amongst others like corsair on the market.

Gah.

/rant

Personally I always use jonnyguru when picking power supplies (unless I'm reusing one). Just because Seasonic is the OEM for most of the PSU sellers doesn't mean that all their stuff is great. Look at reviews. That being said, it does suck that you might be loosing 2 in such a short time period. Try contacting them and see if they will let you switch models, they don't have to, but they might if they want to keep a customer.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Gah.

/rant

Really unlucky?

nah, you're probably just really (un)lucky.

Well on the good side it hasnt taken away any of my new components in my rig. Except my ram.

There will never be a company that will make a product with zero faults. You are just one of those very few people that got a bad unit.

Personally I always use jonnyguru when picking power supplies (unless I'm reusing one). Just because Seasonic is the OEM for most of the PSU sellers doesn't mean that all their stuff is great. Look at reviews. That being said, it does suck that you might be loosing 2 in such a short time period. Try contacting them and see if they will let you switch models, they don't have to, but they might if they want to keep a customer.

I did some cross references between tech sites just to be sure so im extra gutted Im sending it back asap for rma but this will be my last seasonic psu for rig building Never thought id be asking this but what psus are good apart from seasonic?

There will never be a company that will make a product with zero faults. You are just one of those very few people that got a bad unit.

I accept if there's a lemon but if it happens twice I have to question if somethings up.

I did some cross references between tech sites just to be sure so im extra gutted Im sending it back asap for rma but this will be my last seasonic psu for rig building Never thought id be asking this but what psus are good apart from seasonic?

Honestly Seasonic makes most of the PSU's, Corsair is pretty good as is Cooler Master (Ive had good experience with all 3). Really I would check jonnyguru.com, he is the absolute best for power supply reviews, figure out what wattage you need and then find the best reviewed ones at that wattage and from there check price and availability. Sorry you've had a bad experience with Seasonic, just remember that you may end up with a Seasonic re-brand if you switch companies, ideally your PSU will far outlast your computer. Hope this helps.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I havent tried corsair yet though. Might give it s go. Coolermaster.. urgh. One of its units shorted out my gtx 480 at that time so I thought going to seasonic would be playin it safe since I dont want anything expensive to short out on me. Guess not this time round.

Ill check out jonnyguru though. Thanks for the link

If you ask them nicely and if they send you a new one. Ask them to test it first to know that it works for sure. I've heard nothing but good stuff about seasonic!

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

If you ask them nicely and if they send you a new one. Ask them to test it first to know that it works for sure. I've heard nothing but good stuff about seasonic!

I heard good stuff too abt it. And since mine was an x series 1050w I thought it would be safe since I plan on sli ing my 780 or maxwells in the future. Eedit. Sorry if I sound really angsty or anything. Am really pissed off at the moment.

I accept if there's a lemon but if it happens twice I have to question if somethings up.

Here's my post regarding defective / DOAs units: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/54952-psu-reviews-question/?p=738480

The Seasonic X 1050w that you have isn't by any means a flawed, poorly design unit. So like others have said, the bad sample(s) you got is likely a matter of bad luck.

Funny that you mention Corsair... If I'm not mistaken, Seasonic manufactures their PSU's.

Thanks for the post. Yeah. Really sucks though if one pays alot for a good psu but ends up getting a bad sample not once but twice.

I heard good stuff too abt it. And since mine was an x series 1050w I thought it would be safe since I plan on sli ing my 780 or maxwells in the future. Eedit. Sorry if I sound really angsty or anything. Am really pissed off at the moment.

Yeah, you had 2 faulty units was it? I had the same thing happening with my corsair K60, 2x flawed keyboards that a lot of my friends have with no problems after 6 months++.

It can happen, and sometime you're just bound to being unlucky with your product. And i got my money back for my keyboard and i bought a Logitech one that works wonders.

But remember, they sell a lot of products and you're just one of the unlucky ones :/

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

I got my first Seasonic made psu a few months ago and didn't have any problems with them. Hope your replacement will be a great one! :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I've had a Corsair AX750 in my rig for nearly 3 years and it's been spot on, it ran SLI GTX 580s at one point, very slight buzzing if you put your ear right against it but no sound from it that's audible more than a foot away.

Seasonic innards in that one, it's a good unit, I had an AX1200 in another rig but I believe that's Flextronics built.

I see certain people seem to think all Corsair PSUs are Seasonic made, that isn't the case there are a good few that aren't.

I've had a Corsair AX750 in my rig for nearly 3 years and it's been spot on, it ran SLI GTX 580s at one point, very slight buzzing if you put your ear right against it but no sound from it that's audible more than a foot away.

Seasonic innards in that one, it's a good unit, I had an AX1200 in another rig but I believe that's Flextronics built.

I see certain people seem to think all Corsair PSUs are Seasonic made, that isn't the case there are a good few that aren't.

I thought no such thing, but a good amount in the higher tier of Corsair PSU's are indeed Seasonic made. 

The AX1200 and the AX1200i are both Flextronixs built, that is correct.

For the OP's and Askew's reference, here is a table detailing the specs and OEM manufacturer of all Corsair PSU's.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

I personally own a SeaSonic PSU and have never had a single issue so far. Grant it, I've only had my gaming rig for about a year.

In your case, I think it's just insanely bad luck.

COMIC SANS

• 4 weeks later...

I personally own a SeaSonic PSU and have never had a single issue so far. Grant it, I've only had my gaming rig for about a year.

In your case, I think it's just insanely bad luck.

I dont think it's luck. Sent in the second one and the third has exactly the same problem only after a few weeks of installation, but i may have narrowed down the mystery problem. It wouldnt boot up as normal, but when i played around with the silent/hybrid fan button on it, it booted up. Very frustrating and annoying when i paid quite a bit for a premium product and have 3 RMAs all fail spectacularly.

Seasonic has really dropped the buck on this one, just to alert. Perhaps its been at the top too long.

How can i get a refund from them?

Silverstone makes some good psu's and they aren't made by sea sonic. I will go and find out who they are made by.

Silverstone units are made by Enhance Electronics. Regarding the Seasonic units dying, have you checked who delivers it? I remember Linus talked a while back about how shipping could be killing PSUs, because these things are tested at the factory to be working before they're shipped out to wholesalers (who then ship it to retailers and who then ship it to you).

• 2 months later...

i dont know if its pure bad luck but the third  RMA'd psu just crapped out on me with the exact same problem. Frickin fed up as i've tried numerous things to diagnose the issue. Memtest runs fine, jumpstart's fine, voltages with multimeter are fine, but the thing wont just turn on when i press the power button normally.

i have to flip the psu main switch from I to O as fast as i can just to turn it on after every shutdown as thats the only way to turn it on.

and it doesnt help the problem when i bring the psu to the RMA centre and it boots up thier pc fine.