is it okay to transfer windows from HDD MBR to SSD GPT?

EvilNeo

i've just got my SSD and i'm planning to make it GPT
i want to transfer windows from my HDD(which is an MBR system) to my new SSD using a 3rd party migration software
so is it okay to transfer between an HDD MBR to an SSD GPT?

MBR is used by the original windows boot thingy (forgot what it's called like, just Master Boot Record isn't it? The legacy thingy), and GPT is used by UEFI.

If you convert your installation from MBR to GPT, it will become unbootable. You will have to rebuild your bootloader with an EFI one, which your motherboard has to be capable off.

I learned that the hard way about 2 years ago when I got my first UEFI compatible board and thought it would be a great idea to try.

You will have to either reformat your SSD in MBR and use it with MBR, or transfer it and fix the bootloader. Otherwise your system won't boot.

This is what I know about it, please correct me if I'm wrong.

you cannot .. well, sort of

UEFI with GPT table have particularities in the OS itself that will differ from a classical MBR install

although, there are ways to, I'd advise against it

Just now, zMeul said:

you cannot .. well, sort of

UEFI with GPT table have particularities in the OS itself that will differ from a classical MBR install

although, there are ways to, I'd advise against it

so i should just partition my SSD to MBR?
is there any drawbacks for not having GPT ?
like data transfer speed or something ,all i know is that the difference that GPT support more than 2TB and almost infinite amount of partitions

Just now, EvilNeo said:

so i should just partition my SSD to MBR?
is there any drawbacks for not having GPT ?
like data transfer speed or something ,all i know is that the difference that GPT support more than 2TB and almost infinite amount of partitions

I have my W10 install on a MBR partitioned SSD

it might be beneficial to have a GPT partitioned SSD, but I found none - I did install W10 in GPT mode to see what's what, but it looked and felt the same

and since my OS was a clone, I left it like that (on MBR)

Just now, zMeul said:

I have my W10 install on a MBR partitioned SSD

it might be beneficial to have a GPT partitioned SSD, but I found none - I did install W10 in GPT mode to see what's what, but it looked and felt the same

and since my OS was a clone, I left it like that (on MBR)

do you have any recommended software for migrating the OS?

1 minute ago, EvilNeo said:

do you have any recommended software for migrating the OS?

I think I used EaseUS Partition Master free

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

I think I used EaseUS Partition Master free

just downloaded it but i cant find the merge OS option D:

stff.JPG

Move your Windows 10 system to the SSD drive, you need to: back up your drive, ‘shrink’ your disk space, copy your system partition to the SSD, and format the system partition on your HDD. The easiest way to move your system partition to the SSD is by using the tool EaseUS Partition Master. Like zMeul said. Just download the software, and you’re almost ready. Also, it is recommended to perform a defrag of your system hard drive, before you move it on the SSD, so keep that in mind.

1 hour ago, AlicePhoebe said:

Move your Windows 10 system to the SSD drive, you need to: back up your drive, ‘shrink’ your disk space, copy your system partition to the SSD, and format the system partition on your HDD. The easiest way to move your system partition to the SSD is by using the tool EaseUS Partition Master. Like zMeul said. Just download the software, and you’re almost ready. Also, it is recommended to perform a defrag of your system hard drive, before you move it on the SSD, so keep that in mind.

why do you guys say that i have to shrink/reduce the SSD partition size to match the the current windows partition size?

after some search i downloaded easeus todo backup program and saw tutorials on how to use it to transfer windows 10 to another ssd/hdd , so i picked C as sourse and the unallocated size of the SSD as the target
unfortunately that only cloned the files but not the system partition itself
strangely i noticed that i have this:
stiff.JPG
disk 1 and disk 2 are my two HDDs,C is my current windows but the system partition is on the other disk which is disk 2 and called "system reserved"

so cloning only the partition C didn't make the BIOS see any boot files in the SSD partition :/ 
i tried doing this all over again by removing the SSD partition and making two separate partitions on the SSD a big one for the windows and another 500Mb one to be the target for the system reserve source

though yet again it didn't work and the BIOS didn't see but only one boot files and they were on the disk 2 HDD (which after booting the files from there it goes to the disk 1 for the actual windows files)

i ran out of ideas of how to make a "system" partition so i'm currently going for a clean install of windows using a NTFS formatted usb drive and GPT UEFI boot files (along with windows 10's iso files of course)
if you have any ideas of how to actually make an already made partition to be labeled as "system" please tell me so i might use that in later time

7 hours ago, EvilNeo said:

i cant find the merge OS option

what do you mean merge?!

---

to clone a HDD to the SSD you need to make sure of some things:

the C partition has occupied space less than the target SSD space - I see you have a 120GB SSD and a 70GB occupied C drive, that's OK!

make sure the SSD is not partitioned in any way

1st thing to clone is the system reserved partition - but from what I see, you have it on your 2nd HDD ... what happened there!? you installed the OS with 2 HDDs in the system!??!!?

then you clone the C drive and resize it if need be

if it doesn't boot, it should tho, use the Windows install disk/USB stick to repair the installation

here's a guide to restore the BCD: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

19 hours ago, zMeul said:

snip

well i appreciate the help but i went for a clean install on the SSD just to get rid of all that mess about the system partition location no idea how i installed the windows and the system partition on different hard drives :P