Setting up my switch and router

BrownZeus

Hey guys, so I'm overhauling my whole home network, and admitedly I'm going overboard, simply because I enjoy micromanaging.

So I'm opting for a L2 managed Switch, along with other basics like routers, Surveillance DVR (Commercial one from Costco), and soon my own NAS,

whcih will have a web address associated to it.

But the question I have is order of hookup.

Should I go ISP--->Switch--->Router--->Clients or ISP-->Router ---> Switch---> Clients

I should also mention I plan to be running multiple Routers APs for this set up ( To seperate my personal traffic from my family's, cause I nerf my family's connection to about 20% of bandwidth, cause I'm an internet whore)

15 minutes ago, BrownZeus said:

Hey guys, so I'm overhauling my whole home network, and admitedly I'm going overboard, simply because I enjoy micromanaging.

So I'm opting for a L2 managed Switch, along with other basics like routers, Surveillance DVR (Commercial one from Costco), and soon my own NAS,

whcih will have a web address associated to it.

But the question I have is order of hookup.

Should I go ISP--->Switch--->Router--->Clients or ISP-->Router ---> Switch---> Clients

I should also mention I plan to be running multiple Routers APs for this set up ( To seperate my personal traffic from my family's, cause I nerf my family's connection to about 20% of bandwidth, cause I'm an internet whore)

You are an internet whore, and a douche for limiting the rest of your family's internet. You really shouldn't. (IMO)

The switch needs to go after the router, as only one device can get a dhcp address on wan. To get the most configurations, you should get an edgerouter lite. It has all the configurations you would ever want like vlans and codel.

My native language is C++

Just now, tt2468 said:

You are an internet whore, and a douche for limiting the rest of your family's internet. You really shouldn't. (IMO)

The switch needs to go after the router, as only one device can get a dhcp address on wan. To get the most configurations, you should get an edgerouter lite. It has all the configurations you would ever want like vlans and codel.

What if I disabled DHCP on the main router? I imagine Managed switch can serve as a dhcp client

11 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Also my family doesn't use much bandwidth to begin with. 20% is more than enough for their streaming an email. Whereas I'm personally downloading, uploading, etc etc.

51 minutes ago, BrownZeus said:

Also my family doesn't use much bandwidth to begin with. 20% is more than enough for their streaming an email. Whereas I'm personally downloading, uploading, etc etc.

If that's all they're doing then you don't need to limit them... Are you the one paying for the connection?

ISP -> Router -> Switch -> Clients.

5 hours ago, mcraftax said:

Like the others said 

ISP -> Router -> Switch -> Client

I recommend getting Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite and Ubiquiti UniFi APs

There is no reason to put the switch in front of the @BrownZeus. If you REALLY want to seperate your networks, you can set vlans on the edgerouter and use a switch to turn the vlans into untagged traffic.

My native language is C++

14 hours ago, BrownZeus said:

To seperate my personal traffic from my family's, cause I nerf my family's connection to about 20% of bandwidth, cause I'm an internet whore

Net neutrality anyone? When an ISP does this everyone loses their mind but its ok to do it to ourselves and people we directly know?

I support traffic shaping and bandwidth control before anyone gets the wrong idea just pointing out the double standards :P.

I use bandwidth pools and prioritization with minimum bandwidth rates rather than hard limits so if I'm not using much or any bandwidth anyone else can use the full connection speed but if I need to do something my traffic gets priority but will not degrade anyone's traffic. This is how traffic shaping is supposed to be done.

On 8/8/2016 at 3:25 PM, JoeyDM said:

If that's all they're doing then you don't need to limit them... Are you the one paying for the connection?

ISP -> Router -> Switch -> Clients.

Yup

On 8/9/2016 at 4:55 AM, leadeater said:

Net neutrality anyone? When an ISP does this everyone loses their mind but its ok to do it to ourselves and people we directly know?

I support traffic shaping and bandwidth control before anyone gets the wrong idea just pointing out the double standards :P.

I use bandwidth pools and prioritization with minimum bandwidth rates rather than hard limits so if I'm not using much or any bandwidth anyone else can use the full connection speed but if I need to do something my traffic gets priority but will not degrade anyone's traffic. This is how traffic shaping is supposed to be done.

My parents know that I limit them, the don't really care or notice.

40 minutes ago, BrownZeus said:

My parents know that I limit them, the don't really care or notice.

If they wouldn't notice then you shouldn't limit them

41 minutes ago, BrownZeus said:

Yup

Don't lie. If it's your parent you're limiting then you aren't paying for it.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

I'm not lying?? I do infact pay for our Internet Service cause my dad insisted on towered Internet rather than cable.

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

The whole point of limiting them is so uncessary traffic doesn't bog down things that need the bandwidth i.e. our NAS, streaming devices (For tv, laptops and tablets are not factored in this) even my own PC is limited. I really don't understand why a fuss is being made over compartmentalizing my bandwidth, I get and use about 1gbps from CenturyLink

20 minutes ago, BrownZeus said:

The whole point of limiting them is so uncessary traffic doesn't bog down things that need the bandwidth i.e. our NAS, streaming devices (For tv, laptops and tablets are not factored in this) even my own PC is limited. I really don't understand why a fuss is being made over compartmentalizing my bandwidth, I get and use about 1gbps from CenturyLink

If you get 1gbps from CenturyLink then you REALLY don't need to do a bit of traffic shaping. 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

If you get 1gbps from CenturyLink then you REALLY don't need to do a bit of traffic shaping. 

Dont tell me how to live my life.

ISP-->Router ---> Switch---> Clients

is the ideal solution. A switch can generally move traffic faster amongst the local network faster than a router based on the ASIC chips used and logic implemented. A router is best suited for getting traffic between VLANs and out to the rest of the network. Of course that's the down and dirty and gets much more complicated when you have L3 switches and whatnot. Also a switch will almost always have more ports allowing more clients to be attached to the network.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 minutes ago, Lurick said:

ISP-->Router ---> Switch---> Clients

is the ideal solution. A switch can generally move traffic faster amongst the local network faster than a router based on the ASIC chips used and logic implemented. A router is best suited for getting traffic between VLANs and out to the rest of the network. Of course that's the down and dirty and gets much more complicated when you have L3 switches and whatnot. Also a switch will almost always have more ports allowing more clients to be attached to the network.

I've only really messed around with L2 switches, worked with exctly one L3 switch and it was not a god time for me (Cause I'm stoopid). Only reason why I'm not sure is cause as far as network building goes, my realm of experience is 100% within routers and DD-WRT. At work (An internet cafe) we have uplink to the switch and then to the clients rather than uplink to the router than to the switch (its also an L2 Managed switch), and it works good I imagine, we get and distribute all the bandwidth we pay for, but when my boss and I go on site for support for our IT clients, my boss does uplink through the router like apparently most people do, and I literally cannot understand the difference. I need a for dummies explanation tbh.