Do I need DSD Decoding with a DAC?

AstroBenny

When would I use/ need it?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

do you have anything that is DSD? if no, then no

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

10 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

do you have anything that is DSD? if no, then no

I don't but what type of  things are DSD? :)

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just now, AstroBenny said:

I don't but what type of  things are DSD? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Dackzy is correct, if you have and play formats like FLAC, WAV, MP3 and such, most DACs and even onboard audio would be able to handle such common formats. I have >4TB of DSD64/DSD128 tracks, so have DSD capable DACs is a must.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

3 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Dackzy is correct, if you have and play formats like FLAC, WAV, MP3 and such, most DACs and even onboard audio would be able to handle such common formats. I have >4TB of DSD64/DSD128 tracks, so have DSD capable DACs is a must.

ofc I am :DxD 

6 hours ago, GamerDude said:

I have >4TB of DSD64/DSD128 tracks, so have DSD capable DACs is a must.

lmao.

18 minutes ago, SSL said:

lmao.

Well, lmao all you want, doesn't change the fact I have a collection of DSD files so a DSD capable DACs a must.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

• 4 years later...

Okay, but even if I intend to play back DSD content, why would I need a DSD-capable DAC to handle it?

I mean, I don't need an mp3-capable DAC to handle mp3 files, because the CPU can decode them quite alright. Why would the DSD format be different?

4 minutes ago, Listic said:

Okay, but even if I intend to play back DSD content, why would I need a DSD-capable DAC to handle it?

I mean, I don't need an mp3-capable DAC to handle mp3 files, because the CPU can decode them quite alright. Why would the DSD format be different?

it's an audiophile thing that most people probably wouldn't see a benefit from.  When you're in the game of spending exponentially more to get that last couple percent of sound quality is where it comes into play and you need to have everything else rather high end to notice much difference.  At least that's my understanding.

There are far better ways to get improvements and DSD is more of an endgame solution

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

6 hours ago, Listic said:

In this case think of things like DSD and MQA sorta like DRM. (They aren't but kind of act like it just for clarity) At the end of the day they are just audio file formats. You need specific hardware or software to properly decode the file formats properly. As both formats themselves are encoded differently vs flac , wav, or mp3. Both file formats are also owned by specific companies dad by sony and phillips , mqa by tidal. And if you want your gear to be compatible you gotta pay which Ultimate drips down to the user. It's kind of like needing a blue ray player to play bluerays. You need the specific gear to play the bluerays properly and you won't be able to play it with a normal dvd player even though just looking at the 2 formats they basically do the same thing but underneath the hood there is more to it. Sadly I'm not very learned on the format topic so it's hard for me to get into true detail.  For me I just stick to flacs, WAVs and the occasional album in DSD but I just send to stay with FLAC, WAV and MP3 as they are. Much easier and cheaper to acquire.

7 hours ago, rice guru said:

In this case think of things like DSD and MQA sorta like DRM. (They aren't but kind of act like it just for clarity) At the end of the day they are just audio file formats. You need specific hardware or software to properly decode the file formats properly. As both formats themselves are encoded differently vs flac , wav, or mp3. Both file formats are also owned by specific companies dad by sony and phillips , mqa by tidal. And if you want your gear to be compatible you gotta pay which Ultimate drips down to the user. It's kind of like needing a blue ray player to play bluerays. You need the specific gear to play the bluerays properly and you won't be able to play it with a normal dvd player even though just looking at the 2 formats they basically do the same thing but underneath the hood there is more to it. Sadly I'm not very learned on the format topic so it's hard for me to get into true detail.  For me I just stick to flacs, WAVs and the occasional album in DSD but I just send to stay with FLAC, WAV and MP3 as they are. Much easier and cheaper to acquire.

While that may be true it doesn't answer his question exactly. 

13 hours ago, Listic said:

Because the idea here is that DSD is a different signal that is sent to the dac. Typically those file formats are decoded by by the CPU to something called PCM, which pretty much all dacs understand. The difference between DSD and PCM looks something like this:

1024px-PCM-vs-DSD.svg.png

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

While that may be true it doesn't answer his question exactly. 

i kinda wrote my reply at 2AM last night  after being sleep deprived as well so I was a bit delirious so instead of just taking a second to google the answer and come up wiith something actually answer the question for some reason I decided to come up with that. thanks for actually answering the question. I kinda knew how it worked I just didn't know how to actually answer the question properly. 

I know this thread is very old, but I thought I'd just add onto what @rice guruand @geo3said.

12 hours ago, rice guru said:

Both file formats are also owned by specific companies dad by sony and phillips , mqa by tidal.

MQA is not owned by Tidal. It is it's own entity. It was founded in 2014 by Bob Stuart, the same guy who co-founded Meridian Audio. Technically "MQA Ltd." now.

DSD is Delta-sigma/Sigma-delta Modulation. It's totally different to FLAC, WAV, etc. which is Pulse-code Modulation.

DSD isn't just "DSD", you have different rates of DSD which are expressed as;

Standard rate DSD (DSD64) - 2.822MHz sampling rate.

Double rate DSD (DSD128) - 5.644MHz sampling rate.

Quad rate DSD (DSD256) - 11.289MHz sampling rate.

Octuple rate DSD (DSD512) - 22.579 MHz

Effectively, the number at the very end is how much higher the sampling rate of the DSD file is than a CD is. So DSD512 is 512 times 44.1kHz, so the bit depth is 1 bit, and the sampling rate is a whopping 22.5792 MHz.

But you might ask, how can DSD possibly have Dynamic Range when it's only got a singular bit of bit depth?

Well, the bit stream DSD spits out during the AD Conversion is just comparing the amplitude of 1 sample of a waveform to the next sample. 0 is used if the next sample is quieter, 1 is used if the next sample is louder. This allows us to actually get a Sine wave out of the DAC, not just a Square wave. This is why DSD has such a high sample rate. You need ALOT of samples to get a smooth waveform without using analogue filters.

DSD also has roughly 20 bits of Dynamic Range, or 120dB with correct noise shaping techniques applied, which shoves quantization noise up into ultrasonic (inaudible) frequencies, thus increasing SNR and Dynamic Range. CD's have 96dB of Dynamic Range, or 16 Bit. 24 Bit FLAC is 144dB~

Keep in mind only excellent DAC's can hit SNR values of 21 Bits.

Edited by Derkoli

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)