Does anyone have experience with this Noctua LGA 1151 CPU Cooler

GormyGorm

I am building a computer, and as I do not have experience with water cooling, I am trying to purchase a CPU cooler. Does anyone have experience with the "Noctua L-Type Premium Quiet CPU Cooler" (NH-L9x65) and if you do, can you give an opinion of it, and/or recommend a good (AIR) cooler that will work well with an overclocked CPU. Power consumption and noise are not relevant factors for me.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, GormyGorm said:

I am building a computer, and as I do not have experience with water cooling, I am trying to purchase a CPU cooler. Does anyone have experience with the "Noctua L-Type Premium Quiet CPU Cooler" (NH-L9x65) and if you do, can you give an opinion of it, and/or recommend a good (AIR) cooler that will work well with an overclocked CPU. Power consumption and noise are not relevant factors for me.

Thanks!

What's your budget 

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

Just now, FanBlade said:

What's your budget 

No budget currently, just piecing it together on Amazon because I am saving up for when I can buy it without having to worry about the budget... Working a little over PA min wage at a music store.

Just now, GormyGorm said:

No budget currently, just piecing it together on Amazon because I am saving up for when I can buy it without having to worry about the budget... Working a little over PA min wage at a music store.

The best of the best is the nzxt kraken x61 for $120

A high end critically acclaimed air cooler is the noctuna nh d15 for around $80

A great cooler for a reasonable price is the phanteks tc12dx for $50

A budget cooler is the deepcool gammax 400 for $30

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

1 minute ago, FanBlade said:

The best of the best is the nzxt kraken x61 for $120

A high end critically acclaimed air cooler is the noctuna nh d15 for around $80

A great cooler for a reasonable price is the phanteks tc12dx for $50

A budget cooler is the deepcool gammax 400 for $30

Thanks mate!

Where are you shopping/located?

What are you cooling? Any reason why you are looking at a down draft cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you shopping/located?

What are you cooling? Any reason why you are looking at a down draft cooler?

I am shopping on Amazon, mostly because there is literally no computer store within 100 miles of me... the local Best Buy doesn't carry computer components... come to think of it, I don't think I ever saw this best buy carry an actual computer...

I just saw that, knew that Noctua has a good reputation, and saw good reviews... Due to recent advice, I am now looking at a D15.

3 minutes ago, GormyGorm said:

I am shopping on Amazon, mostly because there is literally no computer store within 100 miles of me... the local Best Buy doesn't carry computer components... come to think of it, I don't think I ever saw this best buy carry an actual computer...

I just saw that, knew that Noctua has a good reputation, and saw good reviews... Due to recent advice, I am now looking at a D15.

So shopping in the US?

What are you cooling?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

So shopping in the US?

What are you cooling?

Intel Core i7-6700K

Just now, GormyGorm said:

Intel Core i7-6700K

Well if you can get a NH-D15, go for it. It's probably the best option available. 

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Well if you can get a NH-D15, go for it. It's probably the best option available. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, GormyGorm said:

Intel Core i7-6700K

L9 isn't best option for OCing i7. It will do if you are aiming for mITX. I would get U12S or U14S. They are not as massive as D15 and D14 would be but still deliver quite good OC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

L9 isn't best option for OCing i7. It will do if you are aiming for mITX. I would get U12S or U14S. They are not as massive as D15 and D14 would be but still deliver quite good OC.

The U12S and U14S are both as tall if not taller than the D15/D14. If either can fit, size probably isn't an issue.

I am in the middle of RMA'ing an NH-L9x65. I had it in an EVGA Hadron Air Mini-ITX case. My CPU is also a 6700k.

My Idle and standard use temps weren't terrible, but under full load (like a stress test or video encoding) my temps shot up to the mid to upper 80's.

The L9 is rated for a 65w cpu, the 6700k is a 91w part.

I have since replaced that cooler with an NH-U6S which is a low profile tower cooler (95x95x125mm) and my temps (under full load) have dropped to the low 70's. This cooler still fits fine in my case and is nice and quiet. Highly recommended!

Good Luck!

rmurad38

i7 6700k | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 | ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming | Zotac GTX1070 FE | Samsung 950 Pro 256MB M.2 SSD | SanDisk X400 1TB SSD | Noctua NH-U9S Cooler | EVGA Hadron Air

On 7.8.2016 at 7:25 AM, GormyGorm said:

Thanks!

If you get the NH-D15 make sure your case is big enough.

But yeah the cooler is really good. Very quiet and cools and 6700K as well as 240mm AiO would.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12