Recommended System requirements exagerated?

mattyo5807

I went on Steam to look at recommended system requirements just out of curiosity to see if there are any games I wouldn't be able to run with my upcoming PC build. And I noticed that a lot of them recommend crazy stuff like Intel Core i7s. New ones too! I don't understand why developers insist on listing such extraordinarily high system requirements when you could run every game under the sun on a core i5. Do you guys think developers just do this to get people to spend much more then they need to on gaming systems? It also really bugs me when developers put astronomical GPU requirements. This is a problem and I think it needs to be fixed. Does everyone else agree?

1 minute ago, Shd0w2 said:

-snip-

More like a mountain of salt. Geforce experience even says Doom isnt compatible with my Pc, yet it runs with most settings on Ultra and only some on High, at almost everytime 60fps...

292591.jpg

Groomlake Authority

It's because 'minimum' and 'recommend' explained. Is minimum the absolute bare minimum to run a game at 720p low settings? Or is it the bare minimum to run it at 1080p, high 60fps constant? Or is that recommend? Or is recommended 4K Ultra 60fps?

Look at the requirements and don't take it too serious. If you want to know what you need for a game, look up benchmarks.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

It's because 'minimum' and 'recommend' explained. Is minimum the absolute bare minimum to run a game at 720p low settings? Or is it the bare minimum to run it at 1080p, high 60fps constant? Or is that recommend? Or is recommended 4K Ultra 60fps?

Look at the requirements and don't take it too serious. If you want to know what you need for a game, look up benchmarks.

I think they're set as spec's that will allow the user to have the best playing experience with. E.g: Minimum is for lowest settings 30fps. Recommended would be High+ 60fps @ 1080p

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

there is no standardized meaning of recommended  or minimum requirements

some devs mean that minimum is what you need to launch the game without crashing and recommended to running it without obvious hitches and freezes

others mean that minimum is for running it 720p @ 30 with low setting and recommended is running it 1080p @ 60 with medium settings

and more different one mean that recommended like 4k max - like what Quantum Brake had for it's sys requirements

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Yeah, Sr4 says minimum requirements is a gtx 260, while if I put everything to lowest or none, and lower the resolution to 1024x768 it will work on my gt 210 2gb at 20-40fps. So they're not accurate at all. It doesn't say what minimum is for, is it like 1080p60fps? or 720p30fps? It doesn't say.

20 minutes ago, DXMember said:

there is no standardized meaning of recommended  or minimum requirements

some devs mean that minimum is what you need to launch the game without crashing and recommended to running it without obvious hitches and freezes

others mean that minimum is for running it 720p @ 30 with low setting and recommended is running it 1080p @ 60 with medium settings

and more different one mean that recommended like 4k max - like what Quantum Brake had for it's sys requirements

indeed we should start adding a meaning to the words minimum and recommended specs. but if we want to do anything about it we need to somehow make valve implement this as a requirement for games on steam to have this information displayed. so what should we to to get the attention of valve? ask game critics and reviewers to make a post one their site or on a YouTube video. or should we start a petition or maybe both? (the reason i say that valve needs to do this because i think that the rest off the platforms are just to small to make a difference.)

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

7 hours ago, kelvindeschutter said:

indeed we should start adding a meaning to the words minimum and recommended specs. but if we want to do anything about it we need to somehow make valve implement this as a requirement for games on steam to have this information displayed. so what should we to to get the attention of valve? ask game critics and reviewers to make a post one their site or on a YouTube video. or should we start a petition or maybe both? (the reason i say that valve needs to do this because i think that the rest off the platforms are just to small to make a difference.)

It's been like this for 20 somthn years... nobody ever had a problem with it, until this post...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

8 hours ago, DXMember said:

It's been like this for 20 somthn years... nobody ever had a problem with it, until this post...

It's always been a problem just no one's done anything until now. Because the amount of times friends of mine buy systems to meet the recommended requirements of games is too many. People just waste their money on incredibly high end systems that they don't need. I think it should be a requirement to have your game on steam that you need accurate system requirements.

19 hours ago, mattyo5807 said:

I went on Steam to look at recommended system requirements just out of curiosity to see if there are any games I wouldn't be able to run with my upcoming PC build. And I noticed that a lot of them recommend crazy stuff like Intel Core i7s. New ones too! I don't understand why developers insist on listing such extraordinarily high system requirements when you could run every game under the sun on a core i5. Do you guys think developers just do this to get people to spend much more then they need to on gaming systems? It also really bugs me when developers put astronomical GPU requirements. This is a problem and I think it needs to be fixed. Does everyone else agree?

I think we shouldn't be holding game progress back to appease owners of older/slower hardware. Recommend settings are for ultra graphics/high frame rates, and they are for enthusiasts. So no, I don't think they should make their games worse to let slower computers run them on ultra if they can make them look better and progress with the technology available.   We need a Crysis to crap on all available hardware to entice Nvidia and AMD and Intel to increase performance even more. 

Min requirements for "OMG flavour of the month FPS MP game"

GTX 970/AMD RX 480

i7 6700

SSD 40k 4k iops read & write

Or a console.

Clearly they're completely accurate and is not at all about lack of craftsmanship from the studio.