Helpful tip for Windows VR users - set external mic to play through headset - instructions

This is just a handy tip that I came up with earlier today as I was trying to solve the problem of not been out to hear what's going on around you whilst in VR.  I'm  sure that I'm not the first person to have come up with this, but I also haven't seen it suggested anywhere else.  What I have read a lot of articles about though, is how it's difficult for people to get your attention whilst you are playing inside a VR headset.  Steam does have its "knock knock" feature,  but that only works in steam VR and not Oculus.  It also assumes at least some understanding on behalf of the person trying to get your attention as well as expecting them to read your screen for instructions. 

So here's my simple method of doing it:

1. Make you have an external microphone on your computer.  There is one built-in to the rift, but it doesn't pick up voices around you as much as it is designed to be a personal microphone and cut out background noise.  In my case, I can use the built-in microphone on my Logitech Webcam. 

2.  In the bottom right hand corner of your toolbar, right click and select recording devices.  Select the microphone you wish to use, that gives the best sound pick up of the room around you. Set this as your default device . 

3.  Now right click on your chosen device and select properties   Now click on the list and have at the top of the properties window. 

4.  Tick the option that says "Listen to this device". Under the drop down menu which says "Playback through this device", select the headphones that you use in your virtual reality headset. I'm  not sure what this is called in the HTC Vive  as I don't have one.  For rift owners, it's a bit simpler;  simply select "Headphones (rift audio)".   if you are using your own headphones,  simply select them as an option. 

5.  That is pretty much it. Sounds picked up by your microphone will now be played back through the headset or headphones you have selected. This gives you a slightly better idea of your surroundings and may save you from if you jump scares when a family member or friend decides to put their hand on your shoulder to get your attention.  One suggestion I would have, is clicking on the levels tab of the microphone properties,  and reducing the levels to about 50%.  This is personal preference, but to me, this is allowed enough to hear what is going on around you without being distracting. 

Its only an an idea and meant to help people like myself who don't have a an exclusive place to play games undisturbed.  Or if you're simply talking to your friend while he's playing a game. It can help maintain the social element I love so much in gaming. 

Would love to hear your feedback. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

7 minutes ago, Davehaslanded said:

This is just a handy tip that I came up with earlier today as I was trying to solve the problem of not been out to hear what's going on around you whilst in VR.  I'm  sure that I'm not the first person to have come up with this, but I also haven't seen it suggested anywhere else.  What I have read a lot of articles about though, is how it's difficult for people to get your attention whilst you are playing inside a VR headset.  Steam does have its "knock knock" feature,  but that only works in steam VR and not Oculus.  It also assumes at least some understanding on behalf of the person trying to get your attention as well as expecting them to read your screen for instructions. 

So here's my simple method of doing it:

1. Make you have an external microphone on your computer.  There is one built-in to the rift, but it doesn't pick up voices around you as much as it is designed to be a personal microphone and cut out background noise.  In my case, I can use the built-in microphone on my Logitech Webcam. 

2.  In the bottom right hand corner of your toolbar, right click and select recording devices.  Select the microphone you wish to use, that gives the best sound pick up of the room around you. Set this as your default device . 

3.  Now right click on your chosen device and select properties   Now click on the list and have at the top of the properties window. 

4.  Tick the option that says "Listen to this device". Under the drop down menu which says "Playback through this device", select the headphones that you use in your virtual reality headset. I'm  not sure what this is called in the HTC Vive  as I don't have one.  For rift owners, it's a bit simpler;  simply select "Headphones (rift audio)".   if you are using your own headphones,  simply select them as an option. 

5.  That is pretty much it. Sounds picked up by your microphone will now be played back through the headset or headphones you have selected. This gives you a slightly better idea of your surroundings and may save you from if you jump scares when a family member or friend decides to put their hand on your shoulder to get your attention.  One suggestion I would have, is clicking on the levels tab of the microphone properties,  and reducing the levels to about 50%.  This is personal preference, but to me, this is allowed enough to hear what is going on around you without being distracting. 

Its only an an idea and meant to help people like myself who don't have a an exclusive place to play games undisturbed.  Or if you're simply talking to your friend while he's playing a game. It can help maintain the social element I love so much in gaming. 

Would love to hear your feedback. 

Been looking for something like this since I moved from a g430 headset to ad700x, thanks a lot mate.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Just now, leelaa14 said:

Been looking for something like this since I moved from a g430 headset to ad700x, thanks a lot mate.

No problem. Its a simple fix, but a helpful one, especially as I've missed parcels in the past because i didn't hear the door.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

2 hours ago, Davehaslanded said:

No problem. Its a simple fix, but a helpful one, especially as I've missed parcels in the past because i didn't hear the door.

Nothing worse than missing a parcel when you're in haha.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000