Getting a Computer together and wondering about overclocking!

I'm building myself a new computer, and while it won't be the first computer I've built for myself it will be the first with an all-in-one CPU water cooler.  

My planned build is right here :D!  Though in the future I do plan on upgrading my Video card to a 1070 sometime in January.  ANYWHO
I plan on using an Intel i5 6600k paired with a Corsair H110i GTX water cooler, in a Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Motherboard.  I know that I should be tweaking the Frequency/multiplier/vcore in small increments, but I was just wondering if anyone with similar parts have gotten any decently stable OC within a nice comfortable temperature range.

Thanks! First post woo!

I should have probably added that I have already purchased most of the parts.  I just need to acquire my PSU, RAM, and SSD for the build.  

I currently own a R9 390, and will be using it until then.  Also @keNNySOC why do you recommend the i7 with the 1070?

29 minutes ago, Lettrebag said:

I'm building myself a new computer, and while it won't be the first computer I've built for myself it will be the first with an all-in-one CPU water cooler.  

My planned build is right here :D!  Though in the future I do plan on upgrading my Video card to a 1070 sometime in January.  ANYWHO
I plan on using an Intel i5 6600k paired with a Corsair H110i GTX water cooler, in a Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Motherboard.  I know that I should be tweaking the Frequency/multiplier/vcore in small increments, but I was just wondering if anyone with similar parts have gotten any decently stable OC within a nice comfortable temperature range.

Thanks! First post woo!

You dont really need 750W, 500W is fine for any single GPU setup. You should have stuck with air cooling over AIO water as much better value for the price, but too late now. An i5 would be fine for a 1070 build, any bottleneck will be minimal and can be fixed with a bit of overclocking. Also you can buy OEM windows keys off kinguin for $15 (If you havent bought it already or just really want a retail copy).  

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

@rn8686 Oh I'm aware of the Kinguin key!  The reasoning for the watercooler is more noise than anything else, but also the recovery time from coming back to idle from Load.

edit: The pc part picker is mostly just so that the parts can be seen.  I live in Canada so most of mine are coming from NCIX

edit2!:  The watercooler was also on sale :D!  just over $100 as a walk in special at the store I went to!

4 hours ago, Lettrebag said:

I should have probably added that I have already purchased most of the parts.  I just need to acquire my PSU, RAM, and SSD for the build.  

Well, you should have asked for advice before you bought anything. Now it's to late to tell you that you've used your money poorly.

Oh well, not much to do about it anymore...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

@Imakuni woah... I didn't post here for advice on what to buy, but to know if anyone has achieved nice stable OC with the same chip/mobo/cooler, which could be a target to aim for myself.  This isn't really the warm welcome to the LTT forums I expected... at all...

@Imakuni It's also my business on what I can afford, and what I needed for build.  I did my own research on what parts I could afford, and this is what I got.  Not too much of a fan of your attitude to my build, or my post.  Will take any more interaction on this forum with a grain of salt from now on.

9 hours ago, Lettrebag said:

-snip-

I read a few reviews, looks like a lot of people got a nice 4.4 ghz on their chip. I would try to aim for that, I'm sure your cooler would be completely fine in handling it! You could definitely save a lot on the Ram unless you're going to be using professional programs that actually use it. I'd suggest getting just a 16 gig stick and leaving the other slot open for a future upgrade once you need it

Edit: Also getting a 1 TB HDD alongside your SSD may be a good investment as the storage is really needed seeing as how much game's file sizes are increasing

3 minutes ago, Wolther said:

I read a few reviews, looks like a lot of people got a nice 4.4 ghz on their chip. I would try to aim for that, I'm sure your cooler would be completely fine in handling it! You could definitely save a lot on the Ram unless you're going to be using professional programs that actually use it. I'd suggest getting just a 16 gig stick and leaving the other slot open for a future upgrade once you need it

Edit: Also getting a 1 TB HDD alongside your SSD may be a good investment as the storage is really needed seeing as how much game's file sizes are increasing

I plan on Streaming from this PC, and some of the newer titles that are going use a lot of RAM...  I figure with the extra RAM OBS is going to have an easier time

Plus streaming with my chat open in my browser wouldn't eat my frames anymore :D

5 minutes ago, Lettrebag said:

Plus streaming with my chat open in my browser wouldn't eat my frames anymore :D

@Lettrebag Haha, whatever works :). Anyways I hope it goes well for you, and I hope you enjoy your stay on the forums! 

6 hours ago, Lettrebag said:

@Imakuni woah... I didn't post here for advice on what to buy, but to know if anyone has achieved nice stable OC with the same chip/mobo/cooler, which could be a target to aim for myself.  This isn't really the warm welcome to the LTT forums I expected... at all...

6 hours ago, Lettrebag said:

@Imakuni It's also my business on what I can afford, and what I needed for build.  I did my own research on what parts I could afford, and this is what I got.  Not too much of a fan of your attitude to my build, or my post.  Will take any more interaction on this forum with a grain of salt from now on.

The words "building a new computer", "it'll be the first time", "my planned build" and "I plan on using" all give the idea of a future event, something not set in stone that's yet to happen, or be bought in this case. The fact that your build is all listed with the prices rather than purchased doesn't help either. That's why I assumed you were looking for advice.

Anyway, advice on OCing. Right.

Best advice I can give you: expect nothing out of your chip and you won't get disappointed if it's a bad one, while also getting super happy about anything you are able to achieve. Tackle OCing with the "allright, imma push this as far as I can" rather than the "people are getting these numbers, wonder if I can reach the same".

I assume you don't know how to OC or you aren't very experience on it (given that you are asking), so here's a quick & dirty guide:

1. Always use voltages on Manual. Start with something very low, say 1.2v (this is in case you did a bad mount or something).
  2. Stress test for around 15min. Prime95 Ver. 28.9 (the latest one) on Small FTT is what you are looking at, since we'll be testing thermals for the time being. If:
    1. Your temps are sub 80C, increase voltage a notch. For the very first time you do this step, you could skip straight to 1.3, given that you have a very good cooler.
    2. Your temps are in the 81~83 range, don't mess with voltage anymore.
    3. Your temps are 84 or above, reduce voltage a notch.
  3. Repeat 2 until you get out of the loop.
  4. Increase your multiplier by 1. Test for 20min. If stable, increase it again and repeat.
  5. When it eventually crashes, go back to your previous multiplier and do a 1h test this time around. If it passes, don't stop the test; let it go overnight and, if stable, I'd consider your OC successful. If it fails, however, decrease by 1 again and go for another 8h burn-in test.

That's the basic of it. Always keep an eye on temps and make sure that your voltage is getting where you want, you might need to play with LLC otherwise.

You can play with the BCLK afterwards to try and squeeze a bit more performance. You may also play with cache (named Unring in Gigabyte mobos). RAM OCing comes to ming as well. But those are more advanced steps.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Thanks c: though I would never assume a PCpart picker list would be a definite means of price and how much things cost.  I live in Canada, so those prices don't apply to me.  I do however like the site as it compatibility checks the components for the build, which is nice!

4 hours ago, Lettrebag said:

Thanks c: though I would never assume a PCpart picker list would be a definite means of price and how much things cost.  I live in Canada, so those prices don't apply to me.  I do however like the site as it compatibility checks the components for the build, which is nice!

Top right corner, you can change it to use Canadian stores rather than US ones, as well as a few other countries.

well aren't you a bucket of sunshine.  Thanks