What's the best ethernet alternative for me?

Charcoal_
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
3 minutes ago, Charcoal_ said:

Nice location. I kinda got that. We pay for fibre and get the last few hundred metres of copper...

That is a think that could happen, power line would probably be second best to the hole. Are there any other methods that won't break the bank?

WiFi (slowest ping)

Power Line (somewhat better)

Ethernet cable (lowest latency, fastest ping)

The only alternative methods of internet I know of are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive (Satellite, Laser, Fiber-optic). Any of first three I think are your cheapest options.

Hey!

I'm likely moving my setup upstairs but there is no ethernet connection there! I need to get a different source while compromising as little as possible for speed can ping. I have a BT-Hub4 for WiFi. There is a possibility to run a cable but I'm checking all my options first.

Thanks in advance.

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

Cable will always be the best by a leap, especially when using consumer grade and ISP network equipment.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

2 minutes ago, Charcoal_ said:

Hey!

I'm likely moving my setup upstairs but there is no ethernet connection there! I need to get a different source while compromising as little as possible for speed can ping. I have a BT-Hub4 for WiFi. There is a possibility to run a cable but I'm checking all my options first.

Thanks in advance.

If smallest ping as possible is required you can't beat a Ethernet cable. WiFi will introduce a lot of latency/delay in ping response time. If it's OK to pop some 1/4th or 3/8th inch holes in the floor/wall I'd do it just to run the cable. Alternatively you can try power line adapters. They can yield a lower ping than WiFi but it'll still be higher than a end-to-end Ethernet cable.

1 minute ago, mcraftax said:

Cable will always be the best by a leap, especially when using consumer grade and ISP network equipment.

Nice location. I kinda got that. We pay for fibre and get the last few hundred metres of copper...

Just now, Windows7ge said:

If smallest ping as possible is required you can't beat a Ethernet cable. WiFi will introduce a lot of latency/delay in ping response time. If it's OK to pop some 1/4th or 3/8th inch holes in the floor/wall I'd do it just to run the cable. Alternatively you can try power line adapters. They can yield a lower ping than WiFi but it'll still be higher than a end-to-end Ethernet cable.

That is a think that could happen, power line would probably be second best to the hole. Are there any other methods that won't break the bank?

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

1 minute ago, Charcoal_ said:

Ethernet cable is really cheap, and it costs virtually nothing to drill holes in your floor. just sayin :P

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

1 minute ago, YedZed said:

Ethernet cable is really cheap, and it costs virtually nothing to drill holes in your floor. just sayin :P

Yep. There's already trunking that goes up to the next room over from the new room. Then it's 3-4 metres to get to the place where it would come out next to the setup.

Night Theme User

3 minutes ago, Charcoal_ said:

WiFi (slowest ping)

Power Line (somewhat better)

Ethernet cable (lowest latency, fastest ping)

The only alternative methods of internet I know of are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive (Satellite, Laser, Fiber-optic). Any of first three I think are your cheapest options.

1 minute ago, Charcoal_ said:

Yep. There's already trunking that goes up to the next room over from the new room. Then it's 3-4 metres to get to the place where it would come out next to the setup.

Well aside from being complicated and impractical, I'd say its golden!:P

OK. I think I'll go with the cable then. Thanks guys!

Night Theme User

Just now, Charcoal_ said:

OK. I think I'll go with the cable then. Thanks guys!

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Ripping up floorboards and poking screwdrivers through holes. I don't even have the cable yet...

Night Theme User

They have Ethernet over A/C adapters that doesn't completely neuter your connection speed.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

On August 19, 2016 at 7:35 AM, Bigun said:

They have Ethernet over A/C adapters that doesn't completely neuter your connection speed.

Still not the best. I mean, he already started making the jokes for Ethernet, so yeh.

If you have COAX in the location you can try MOCA. Its kind like powerline, just it doesnt suck ass at least from what I read. Coax is a data cable. Electrical wires are not. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Powerline -> Easy setup, decent range, stable but higher pings, lower speed
WiFi -> Easy setup, poor range, erratic pings, decent speed

Ethernet -> Difficult setup, fantastic range/speed/pings

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

39 minutes ago, skywake said:

Powerline -> Easy setup, decent range, stable but higher pings, lower speed
WiFi -> Easy setup, poor range, erratic pings, decent speed

Ethernet -> Difficult setup, fantastic range/speed/pings

Powerline isn't always stable as that’s to do with if the electrical wiring is old, your broadband speeds on the devices using powerline adapters might suffer

1 hour ago, Scottonpc said:

Powerline isn't always stable as that’s to do with if the electrical wiring is old, your broadband speeds on the devices using powerline adapters might suffer

Sure, but WiFi is pretty much never stable. You'll pretty much always get a lower average than over powerline on WiFi but you'll get a lot more random spikes. Regardless of what your conditions are like. Sure you can have crap wiring and powerline will be dodgy as all hell in those scenarios. But in general powerline is more stable and works when WiFi doesn't

A simple way to think of it

1. Can you use Ethernet? Yes: Use it. Otherwise

2. Are you close enough to the WiFi that it's not an issue? Yes: Use it. Otherwise

3. Try Powerline

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Well the cables in. We had to use some random pipe we found under the floorboards and a tent-peg we taped to it to drag the cable across. For the last bit we had to shove an arm into the floor and blindly flail the cable at a hole...

Night Theme User

4 hours ago, Charcoal_ said:

Well the cables in. We had to use some random pipe we found under the floorboards and a tent-peg we taped to it to drag the cable across. For the last bit we had to shove an arm into the floor and blindly flail the cable at a hole...

Ghetto mod ur house bruh :D

How's your connection now?

3 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Ghetto mod ur house bruh :D

How's your connection now?

As good as ever!

Night Theme User

Just now, Charcoal_ said:

As good as ever!

Hurrah!!!