First Aftermarket RX480 review is out! (OC3D/Asus)

OC3D (Tiny Tom Logan) has just uploaded their Asus Strix RX 480 review. It's the first Aftermarket RX 480 review I've seen out there.

Results include synthetics and games in both DX11 and DX12 using both Single RX 480 and two of them in Crossfire.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_rx480_strix_crossfire_review/1

There is also a Youtube video review:

The results as well as the conclusion show that the RX 480 has pretty much no overclocking potential, despite many people claiming the card was "power starved". The Strix card holds an 8 pin as well as a custom PCB with improved power delivery, yet the OC results are just a couple few fps over the reference model.

IMO anyone buying the aftermarket RX 480 should do it for the better temps and quiet operation, they shouldn't really expect noticeable performance gains.

Edit:

This is another review for the RX 480 strix, we can see much better OC results, looks like OC3D didn't really pushed this GPU that much.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/94945-asus-rog-strix-radeon-rx-480-oc/

These are other custom RX 480 reviews if you are interested:

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-nitro-rx-480-oc-8gb-graphics-card-review/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-rx-480-nitro-oc-4gb-8gb-review/

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/94969-sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-4gb-8gb-oc/
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-review,1.html

Edited by ForsakenLive
Added info provided by the comments.

"RX480 Crossfire; GTX 1060 Killer?"

I just think it's funny... I mean, they are pretty much similar enough cards.. two crossfire 480's will beat one 1060 in most cases.

EDIT: I have now learned that this says GTX1080 Beater... not 1060 killer... beater is a stupid word. I recommend you avert your eyes from this post.

fa46e1c56463fa6e632a9f3dcb75aae69ba95f72feabef2b5d36ed03fe0d4319.jpg

Build: CPU: i5 4690k; Mobo: msi Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 GPU: Sapphire R9 270 Dual X Case: LSP ULTRA ETorque mid-tower ATX PSU: LSP ULTRA 650w SSD: Crucial BX200 240gb HDD: Western Digital Black 1tb RAM: EVGA SuperSC 16 gigs DDR3 (two 8 gig sticks)

2 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

snip

Hexus disagrees.... Also this review was posed 5 days ago...

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/94945-asus-rog-strix-radeon-rx-480-oc/

5-10% over the already massively improved stock speeds when overclocked. Not Maxwell-level overclocking, but better than Fiji by far, and arguably better than Pascal (which boosts up to 99% of the max oc anyways)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, kappakali said:

"RX480 Crossfire; GTX 1060 Killer?"

I just think it's funny... I mean, they are pretty much similar enough cards.. two crossfire 480's will beat one 1060 in most cases.

It says 1080 killer. Not 1060.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Eww Strix :dry:

If what you say about overclocking holds water, then as usual, Sapphire is the only sensible choice here. Maybe XFX though, maybe.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Eww Strix :dry:

If what you say about overclocking holds water, then as usual, Sapphire is the only sensible choice here. Maybe XFX though, maybe.

Sapphire really dropped the ball on "300" series overclocking (absolutely pitiful even compared to their 200 series equivalents). MSI and XFX were by far the best overclocking models, with MSI being marginally better and significantly more consistent than XFX.

Too bad you have to deal with the non-neutral color schemes.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Just an FYI this isn't the first review of an aftermarket rx 480.

4-5 days ago a lot of sapphire nitro reviews got posted.

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-nitro-rx-480-oc-8gb-graphics-card-review/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-rx-480-nitro-oc-4gb-8gb-review/

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/94969-sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-4gb-8gb-oc/

Guru3D also have one of the custom msi card.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-review,1.html

Sooo yea there are a lot of them out there, might be the first one from asus tho, they are late to the party with the rx 480.

Also the prices of the asus cards are completely stupid :D

I think there are also some reviews of the rx 480 red devil... Not sure about that.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

It says 1080 killer. Not 1060.

ah jeez.

Build: CPU: i5 4690k; Mobo: msi Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 GPU: Sapphire R9 270 Dual X Case: LSP ULTRA ETorque mid-tower ATX PSU: LSP ULTRA 650w SSD: Crucial BX200 240gb HDD: Western Digital Black 1tb RAM: EVGA SuperSC 16 gigs DDR3 (two 8 gig sticks)

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Sapphire really dropped the ball on "300" series overclocking. MSI and XFX were by far the best overclocking models, with MSI being marginally better and significantly more consistent than XFX.

Yeah i'm not a fan of their later "Nitro" line up their aesthetic was much better with the Tri X and Vapor X designs. But considering that

1) They flat out outperform almost every single cooler out there (For AMD vendors mind you) and

2) 99% of builds will actually just show the top of the card (seriously wtf are the vertically mounted cases? So far only Termaltake sells one and I think I saw anotherone at a trade show but we should be getting more vertical mount raiser cases not just for ITX but to truly show off cards on desktop builds) looks aren't as important as long as it looks nice from the top.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah i'm not a fan of their later "Nitro" line up their aesthetic was much better with the Tri X and Vapor X designs. But considering that

1) They flat out outperform almost every single cooler out there (For AMD vendors mind you) and

2) 99% of builds will actually just show the top of the card (seriously wtf are the vertically mounted cases? So far only Termaltake sells one and I think I saw anotherone at a trade show but we should be getting more vertical mount raiser cases not just for ITX but to truly show off cards on desktop builds) looks aren't as important as long as it looks nice from the top.

Ehh, again I'd argue the 2.5 slot MSI 390x cooler was better than the 390x Nitro cooler. Even if less compatible for CF or ITX cases.

I'm not a huge fan of vertically mounting gpu's in large cases personally, but then again I watercool so the sleekness is the same either way. Small cases are a different story in my mind. That said, I do agree with the look from the top, but come on.... what cooler top looks better than this?

msi-geforce_gtx_1080_sea_hawk_ek_x-produ

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

7 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Ehh, again I'd argue the 2.5 slot MSI 390x cooler was better than the 390x Nitro cooler. Even if less compatible for CF or ITX cases.

I'm not a huge fan of vertically mounting gpu's in large cases personally, but then again I watercool so the sleekness is the same either way. Small cases are a different story in my mind. That said, I do agree with the look from the top, but come on.... what cooler top looks better than this?

msi-geforce_gtx_1080_sea_hawk_ek_x-produ

That's the back though not the top. It's a nice backplate but I meant looking from the very top.

-------

Current Rig

-------

15 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

That's the back though not the top. It's a nice backplate but I meant looking from the very top.

Oh, I consider top down to be top. You mean a side view? or the cooler bottom up view?

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

36 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

5-10% over the already massively improved stock speeds when overclocked. Not Maxwell-level overclocking, but better than Fiji by far, and arguably better than Pascal (which boosts up to 99% of the max oc anyways)

Looks like OC3D didn't do their homework well :o Interesting results.

34 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Haven't seen those yet, on my regular daily visited websites and youtube feed this is the first one I saw.

LTT News forums have been pretty unactive lately, I used to get most of my tech news from here. Good old topwargamer posting days.

7 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Oh, I consider top down to be top. You mean a side view? or the cooler bottom up view?

What you'd consider "sideways" i.e. the thin part on top that you see on most horizontally mounted cases.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

What you'd consider "sideways" i.e. the thin part on top that you see on most horizontally mounted cases.

Ahh. Makes sense I guess. Waterblocks are boring, the strix looks nice, the MSI cards are kinda meh (depending on your preference).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Sapphire really dropped the ball on "300" series overclocking (absolutely pitiful even compared to their 200 series equivalents). MSI and XFX were by far the best overclocking models, with MSI being marginally better and significantly more consistent than XFX.

Yup. And while they didn't drop the ball on the 480 overclocking, they dropped the ball on acoustics. People need to stop singing their praises just by going off history and not actually looking at their current offerings. The nitro 480 is easily the worst AIB 480 so far.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

That review is so horrible done the RX480 CF beats every 1070 out there.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Don't be so negative OP.

The 480 seems to be just fine, now I'm not sure about the Strix 480 but the Nitro+ 480 seems to hold its own even though you can't really go past the speeds that Sapphire presets it to.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Interesting, differs from others so variations make it seem that OC potential can't be pin pointed well enough for this GPU hmm.
None the less it's a well performing card. Would be nice to see binned chip and how much it can be pushed.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

TechPowerUp's review of the MSI Gaming X model is up too.

Summary:

Costs about 265 dollars (assuming you can find them in stock). So about the same as one of the cheaper GTX 1060 (again, assuming you can find one).

Power consumption is much higher than the reference 480 (and waaay higher than the 1060). This is probably because the power consumption skyrockets with even a small overclock. Seems like the 480 GPU is way past the sweet spot even on the reference card.

It's only half as the reference 480 when under load (10dB = twice the perceived volume) and 3 dB more silent than the 1060. 3 dB is not something to brush under the rug, but it's not ground breaking either.

Performance is decent. It's 4% faster than the reference 480, but the 1060 is still 7% faster (at 1080p).

TechPowerUp managed a 5% overclock on the core, and 13% overclock on the memory. That is quite a bit worse than the 1060 which managed  8% on the core and 22% on the memory. The performance gain ended up being 8.6% on the 480 (for comparison, the 1060 got a 15.1% performance increase from the overclock).

It would have been interesting to see what power consumption was like when overclocked.

Temperatures are a lot better than the stock card. At half the loudness the temperatures went from 84 degrees on the reference card, to 73 degrees on the MSI card.

Something I found interesting was that the card did not get any hotter when overclocked. Both factory OC and extra OC stayed at 73 degrees.

I will still recommend the GTX 1060 over this, but if pricing is weird or you for some reason refuse to buy an Nvidia card then I'd say this seems worth the extra ~25 dollars over the reference card.

8 hours ago, ForsakenLive said:

The results as well as the conclusion show that the RX 480 has pretty much no overclocking potential, despite many people claiming the card was "power starved". The Strix card holds an 8 pin

An 8-pin delivers no more power than a  6-pin. The two extra pins are ground.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

5 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

An 8-pin delivers no more power than a  6-pin. The two extra pins are ground.

That is incorrect. 6 pin have 3 yellow + 3 black (12v x3, 3 ground). 8 pin have 4 yellow+4black (12v x4, 4 ground). Average 6 pin draw is 75W, 8 pin average draw is 150W.

This is a pin layout of all ATX PSUs

LL

2 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

That is incorrect. 6 pin have 3 yellow + 3 black (12v x3, 3 ground). 8 pin have 4 yellow+4black (12v x4, 4 ground). Average 6 pin draw is 75W, 8 pin average draw is 150W.

This is a pin layout of all ATX PSUs

LL

Did the spec change since 2012? Because all the comparisons I've seen show 3 yellow 12v on both.

Edit: Found it, 6+2 pin connectors are the source of the confusion. A true 8-pin (no breakaway 2 pins) has four 12v, but a 6+2 pin configuration only has 3.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 minute ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Did the spec change since 2012? Because all the comparisons I've seen show 3 yellow 12v on both.

For 8 ping GPU it's always the same

18fig25-0101-312634-0-2-3-0-jpg-.jpg

I can give you pics of my PSU or links to the manual.

I learn this while doing custom sleeving. 8 pin connectos give you more power, twice actually, this is why some GPUs offer you a dual 6 pin to 8 pin converter.

1 minute ago, ForsakenLive said:

For 8 ping GPU it's always the same

Really? PSU's have that low of a latency ! holy shit didn't know xD:D 

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation