Format of a Graphic

AlanAlan

How can you argue that graphic novels aren't better ways to read stories. What points and reasons can you argue? 

7 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

How can you argue that graphic novels aren't better ways to read stories. What points and reasons can you argue? Can you explain?

Who says they aren't better?

It's 100% subjective, and will depend on the specific individual - their tendencies, and how well they absorb information in different ways.

Graphic Novels are often thought as an ideal medium between the Comic art form and the Novel art form.

Novels are literally walls of text. Great if you're one of those people who can absorb themselves and fully immerse themselves, and are good readers.

Comics, on the other hand, have very few words of text, and are primarily graphical sequences. This is great for faster viewing, and those who struggle with reading, or learn better visually.

Graphic Novels, however, tend to have a lot more dialog compared to traditional comics. They tend to melt the novel longer format, with the full visual graphical depiction of the action.

It gives you a taste of both.

I personally prefer:

Novels->Graphic Novels->Comics

Novels are my favourite because they will generally go into much greater detail than either one of the others, and I am fully willing to use my own imagination to create the scenes.

But I do enjoy Graphic Novels from time to time, the art depicted is often amazing, and the longer format is more my leaning.

I rarely will read comics, except for the occasional trade paperback larger collections of an arc or story - but those start bridging into Graphic Novel format sometimes.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Can arguing that you will have a better understanding with graphic novels because of the pictures and text? Can you also argue that you can empathize the characters through the pictures and text?

Just now, AlanAlan said:

Can arguing that you will have a better understanding with graphic novels because of the pictures and text? Can you also argue that you can empathize the characters through the pictures and text?

You could certainly argue both points.

If a cell in a Graphic Novel is drawn with, say, a weak character who is being held hostage, who is drawn in such a way to appear like we should want to help them, it could increase the empathy you feel - compared to the same scene being written text only via a novel.

But again, it is different per each person viewing the content.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

If a cell in a Graphic Novel is drawn with, say, a weak character who is being held hostage, who is drawn in such a way to appear like we should want to help them, it could increase the empathy you feel - compared to the same scene being written text only via a novel.

What are some points I can argue that it is not a better way?

OP are you doing your paper??? Or is it a school project/homework you need to finish?

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

15 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

OP are you doing your paper??? Or is it a school project/homework you need to finish?

No it is a research that I am doing

15 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Trying to get some ideas.

Just now, AlanAlan said:

Trying to get some ideas.

I don't have any experience with graphic novel. 

But for me I have always prefer novel over comic books/movie....

Story that you are reading will always give you a wider vision of what's going on. 

Movie/comic book can only focus on one thing/ character/ scene at one time. 

Also movie will always make everything too "romantic". I have watched Leaving Las Vegas and also read the book.

The book itself is sooo much deeper than the movie.

In the novel when the author describe how some of the characters feel, that description will hit you like a silent thunder. 

Then it will make you be like: "holy shit!! That is so freaking accurate!  I know exactly how he feels! And I felt the same way too!!!"

I don't know about anyone else, but for me it is always like that.

I don't know whether I am saying things that are relevant to your topic... But that is my 2 cents... 

I damn near cried when I went through the original CAD Comic. DAMN NEAR CRIED, YA HEAR ME?!

It all depends on the quality, rather than the medium, imo

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

13 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

So what I am arguing is graphic novel about the Holocuast vs traditional novel about the Holocuast. So my two points that I am aruging is that pictures from the graphic novels contributes to the better understanding of the while story and also that with pictures you are to fully empathize what the characters is going through. Will that work? Can you guys elaborate on this? What are some points I can say?

4 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

I damn near cried when I went through the original CAD Comic. DAMN NEAR CRIED, YA HEAR ME?!

It all depends on the quality, rather than the medium, imo

4 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I don't have any experience with graphic novel. 

But for me I have always prefer novel over comic books/movie....

Story that you are reading will always give you a wider vision of what's going on. 

Movie/comic book can only focus on one thing/ character/ scene at one time. 

Also movie will always make everything too "romantic". I have watched Leaving Las Vegas and also read the book.

The book itself is sooo much deeper than the movie.

In the novel when the author describe how some of the characters feel, that description will hit you like a silent thunder. 

Then it will make you be like: "holy shit!! That is so freaking accurate!  I know exactly how he feels! And I felt the same way too!!!"

I don't know about anyone else, but for me it is always like that.

I don't know whether I am saying things that are relevant to your topic... But that is my 2 cents... 

Quotes without any comments.

:ph34r:

You're my kind of guy.  /s

12 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

He wants us to do his homework it seems.

2 hours ago, Charger said:

He wants us to do his homework it seems.

Its not homework. It is a research project. Just needs some opinions and thoughts from others.

I responded with thanks for your opinion. 

12 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

So what I am arguing is graphic novel about the Holocuast vs traditional novel about the Holocuast. So my two points that I am aruging is that pictures from the graphic novels contributes to the better understanding of the while story and also that with pictures you are to fully empathize what the characters is going through. Will that work? Can you guys elaborate on this? What are some points I can say?

not necessarily, very descriptive writing can paint a picture in the readers mind just as well as any drawing / photo, sometimes more

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

not necessarily, very descriptive writing can paint a picture in the readers mind just as well as any drawing / photo, sometimes more

What are your two points that you can argue that graphic novels are better ways to read?

11 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

What are your two points that you can argue that graphic novels are better ways to read?

I wouldnt I dont like them

You could argue about the pictures being very specific and helping to demonstrate exactly the image the author intended

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I wouldnt I dont like them

You could argue about the pictures being very specific and helping to demonstrate exactly the image the author intended

What are some reasons that you could argue that graphic novels aren't better ways to read stories?

The main difference, in my mind, between graphic and written novels is the level of exposition and immediacy: in graphic novels, you get immediacy but lack exposition; in written novels, you possibly miss out on the immediacy, but gain so much more in terms of exposition. With written novels, you can explore more than just immediate reactions and emotions; you can explain the context, background, emotion, thoughts etc. that aren't really possible in graphic novels. Graphic novels rely more on immediate reactions and rely on a sense of movement and connection between individual frames, which means that it isn't really possible to go into as great an amount of detail as you can with written novels.

4 hours ago, Flibblebot said:

The main difference, in my mind, between graphic and written novels is the level of exposition and immediacy: in graphic novels, you get immediacy but lack exposition; in written novels, you possibly miss out on the immediacy, but gain so much more in terms of exposition. With written novels, you can explore more than just immediate reactions and emotions; you can explain the context, background, emotion, thoughts etc. that aren't really possible in graphic novels. Graphic novels rely more on immediate reactions and rely on a sense of movement and connection between individual frames, which means that it isn't really possible to go into as great an amount of detail as you can with written novels.

Would you say your involved with what the characters are going, like if you were in the story yourself?

I think in a written novel you're more likely to become involved in characters as you can get more information about their thoughts, emotions and actions than you can in a graphic novel.

you could say that in a general sense not having pictures causes a person to envision the scenario in their own head, which helps develop things like intuition and mental imagery at a young age instead of simply being given a picture that shows the emotions; this same thing could also cause the same children to ask more questions, perhaps there are gaps when they're trying to envision the scene, why is this character here, why isn't this character there, which leads to questioning motives and actions.

Shipping sucks

Novels makes the reader a 3rd person and can't be part of the story, its a invisible layer between the reader and the characters.

Graphic novels or manga, takes the reader into the story and tries to make the reader as the individual characters. There is no "he said, she said". they just say what they want.

Comics, rarely read comics, but IMO I guess they're similar to graphic novels, but not too much details?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list