What monitor should I buy?

Rosa

I currently have a 970 strix OC and am considering upgrading to a 1070 strix OC, but with my current 970:

34 inch ips? Like an lg curve

34/35 inch 144hz?

27 inch ips 60hz?

27 inch 144hz?'

1080p, 1440p, or 4k?

Basically, what monitor should I get? I currently have a 23 inch ips 1920x1080 asus monitor 60hz and want to upgrade my monitor. I do like colors because I watch alot of youtube, twitch, and anime and I also DO NOT want black bars if Im watching a video or anime, but I do play a lot of rocket league and csgo so I feel like 144hz is also an option. Thanks

1444hz or 4k ips 27inc 60hz 

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

I love mine, 27'' IPS 144hz 2k monitor from Asus, PG279Q. 

What's your budget? If you want to go balls to the wall, a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor with G-Sync such as the ASUS PG279Q or the Acer XB271HU/XB270HU would be the best choice.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

18 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

What's your budget? If you want to go balls to the wall, a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor with G-Sync such as the ASUS PG279Q or the Acer XB271HU/XB270HU would be the best choice.

when watching videos on youtube/anime/twitch streams will I have black bars with 1440p?

2 minutes ago, Rosa said:

when watching videos on youtube/anime/twitch streams will I have black bars with 1440p?

Whether the video is filmed at an aspect ratio of 16:9 or 21:9 is dependent on the director. Ever heard of letterboxing? They don't stretch the video if it doesn't fit because otherwise it'll look like shit. So they put in black bars instead.

Most movies (and presumably anime streams) are filmed at 21:9. I believe Twitch streams at 16:9 and most games support that ratio too. Also note that quite a few games may not even support 21:9/Ultrawide, which is going to give you black bars on the side. Hence my recommendation of a 2560 x 1440 monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Whether the video is filmed at an aspect ratio of 16:9 or 21:9 is dependent on the director. Ever heard of letterboxing? They don't stretch the video if it doesn't fit because otherwise it'll look like shit. So they put in black bars instead.

Most movies (and presumably anime streams) are filmed at 21:9. I believe Twitch streams at 16:9 and most games support that ratio too. Also note that quite a few games may not even support 21:9/Ultrawide, which is going to give you black bars on the side. Hence my recommendation of a 2560 x 1440 monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

will i have black bars with 1440p monitor and a 16:9 aspect ratio? sorry im stupid

6 minutes ago, Rosa said:

will i have black bars with 1440p monitor and a 16:9 aspect ratio? sorry im stupid

There are two types. 2560 x 1440 (16:9) and 3440 x 1440 (21:9). The monitors I suggested above are the former.

YouTube, Twitch and most games support the 16:9 ratio. If you get one of the monitors I suggested, you won't have black bars.

On the other hand, the aspect ratio of movies and anime streams are dependent on the director's choice. Most films are filmed at 21:9, meaning that you will have black bars for on a 16:9 monitor but won't on a 21:9/Ultrawide monitor.

Pick your poison. I'd personally get the 16:9 monitor.

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

There are two types of 1440p. 2560 x 1440 (16:9) and 3440 x 1440 (21:9). The monitors I suggested above are the former.

YouTube, Twitch and most games support the 16:9 ratio. If you get one of the monitors I suggested, you won't have black bars.

On the other hand, the aspect ratio of movies and anime streams is dependent on the director's choice. Most films are filmed at 21:9, meaning that you will have black bars for on a 16:9 monitor but won't on a 21:9/Ultrawide monitor.

Pick your poison. I'd personally get the 16:9 monitor.

are there any 16:9 1440p monitors that are less $? like tn 144 or ips 60 and g sync if possible

3 minutes ago, Rosa said:

are there any 16:9 1440p monitors that are less $? like tn 144 or ips 60 and g sync if possible

Seeing how you're a CS:GO player, I suggest this: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

Just note that TN has worse colour accuracy than IPS, meaning it's the lesser choice for watching films or movies.

Spoiler

Seeing how you're a CS:GO player, I suggest this: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

Just note that TN has worse colour accuracy than IPS, meaning it's the lesser choice for watching films or movies.

I need to correct myself: I dont play csgo AS much anymore, I play ALOT of rocket league competitively but I still do alot of video watching :/

Just now, Rosa said:

I need to correct myself: I dont play csgo AS much anymore, I play ALOT of rocket league competitively but I still do alot of video watching :/

Even for Rocket League, that 144Hz + G-Sync monitor is going to make a noticeable difference.

Spoiler

Even for Rocket League, that 144Hz + G-Sync monitor is going to make a noticeable difference.

how are the colors on a tn panel? Also is g sync enabled or do you need to enable it? Sorry I dont have alot of experience with monitors. and does g sync make a huge difference?

2 minutes ago, Rosa said:

how are the colors on a tn panel? Also is g sync enabled or do you need to enable it? Sorry I dont have alot of experience with monitors. and does g sync make a huge difference?

Worse than IPS but still tolerable. Yep, you'll need to enable G-Sync from the NVIDIA control panel. Many users agree with me that it indeed makes a huge difference, I don't think I'd be able to play with a monitor without variable refresh rates.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HKZeroFive said:

Worse than IPS but still tolerable. Yep, you'll need to enable G-Sync from the NVIDIA control panel. Many users agree with me that it indeed makes a huge difference, I don't think I'd be able to play with a monitor without variable refresh rates.

also will videos look blurry on a 1440p monitor? Like if im watching a youtube video and its 1080p or 720p quality will it be really blurry?

Just now, Rosa said:

also will videos look blurry on a 1440p monitor? Like if im watching a youtube video and its 1080p or 720p quality will it be really blurry?

You have to factor in video compression for YouTube videos. Say you watch a Rocket League video on YouTube. It'll be blurrier in comparison to what you see when you play it yourself.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

You have to factor in video compression for YouTube videos. Say you watch a Rocket League video on YouTube. It'll be blurrier in comparison to what you see when you play it yourself.

so will things at 720p or 1080p look better on 1440p? and HOW bad will they look? like blurry

8 minutes ago, Rosa said:

so will things at 720p or 1080p look better on 1440p? and HOW bad will they look? like blurry

In a way, yes. It'll look better on a 1440p screen.

As for your second question, I think Linus explains it better.

It won't be intolerable but it's not what you're going to see when you experience it yourself since it's not native 1080p/1440p content.

Spoiler