G3258 OVERCLOCKING HELP!!!

When I try too load in an overclock my pc restarts then 5 seconds later restarts again. It just restarts until I do something am I doing something wrong like too little voltage?? 

Most likely, what have you set it to? what cooler do you have?

Give information when asking for help.

7 minutes ago, panpanthepanda said:

When I try too load in an overclock my pc restarts then 5 seconds later restarts again. It just restarts until I do something am I doing something wrong like too little voltage?? 

Yes. Hold down the power button until the PC shuts off and stays off, wait a minute, then power back on and enter BIOS. Dial your multiplier way down to stabilize things, then log into Windows and see if it stays up and running.

If it won't even boot into BIOS, I'd reset CMOS to bring your mobo completely back to stock.

If CMOS doesn't fix it, it could be hardware.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Im trying to run it at 4.2ghz and its with an Hyper 212 Evo. With a Gigabyte B85M-DS3H I had it set to 1.20 volts cause thats what other people on the other forums said they were running it at. And sorry Im new around here and next time i wait state this information from the beginning.

3 minutes ago, panpanthepanda said:

Im trying to run it at 4.2ghz and its with an Hyper 212 Evo. With a Gigabyte B85M-DS3H I had it set to 1.20 volts cause thats what other people on the other forums said they were running it at. And sorry Im new around here and next time i wait state this information from the beginning.

Remember to quote posts. We don't get notifications if we aren't following a thread, so people might not see your reply.

Did you work your way up there from 3.2GHz, or did you just set it straight to 4.2GHz at 1.2v? My G3258 takes far more than 1.2v to run stably at 4.2, closer to 1.25. I'd say that's your issue.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Yes. Hold down the power button until the PC shuts off and stays off, wait a minute, then power back on and enter BIOS. Dial your multiplier way down to stabilize things, then log into Windows and see if it stays up and running.

If it won't even boot into BIOS, I'd reset CMOS to bring your mobo completely back to stock.

I've been resetting the Cmos every time i want too boot into the bios and windows. Now I want to try again to overclock it again. Whats a good voltage too set at for 4.2 ghz.

I already got it too 3.9ghz with just leaving it auto everything 

5 minutes ago, panpanthepanda said:

try more volts...the hyper 212 can take much more on dual core CPU like that...try 1.3v and see if it post.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, panpanthepanda said:

I've been resetting the Cmos every time i want too boot into the bios and windows. Now I want to try again to overclock it again. Whats a good voltage too set at for 4.2 ghz.

I already got it too 3.9ghz with just leaving it auto everything 

Start at stock everything and gradually work your way up on clock speed until you're unstable, then up the voltage. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get to your max voltage or temperature, at which point you're done. It takes longer, yeah, but it's the right way to do it. Safest, too.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Start at stock everything and gradually work your way up on clock speed until you're unstable, then up the voltage. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get to your max voltage or temperature, at which point you're done. It takes longer, yeah, but it's the right way to do it. Safest, too.

Now I'm thinking Im upgrading my PSU. I have some crappy ThermalTake 500W PSU I got a few Christmas's ago. Whats a Good PSU thats Between $50- $80 USD? 

23 minutes ago, panpanthepanda said:

Now I'm thinking Im upgrading my PSU. I have some crappy ThermalTake 500W PSU I got a few Christmas's ago. Whats a Good PSU thats Between $50- $80 USD? 

The Seasonic S12II and M12II would be my top picks in that price range. I believe XFX also has a few options there. If you want to get unnecessarily fancy, this is a pretty nice deal for that PSU.