Point to Point Wifi

I am trying to connect to internet in a rural area. Down the street where I live is a fiber connection but at my house there is not fiber no cable no dsl nothing at all. I need something wifi based as I am not able to put any sort of wire in/on the ground or across the road  I can build a high antenna as I need to go over a couple of trees that block the  clear point to point connection. I have seen linus point to point 25 km 5ghz video but I am wondering if there is anything similar in 2.4ghz. also if a list of products that could  be purchased online would really be helpful. Thanks.

networking.png

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

2.4 Ghz is suseptable to much more interference then 5Ghz. Im sure some thing exists but why use 2.4 Ghz? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I would rather use 2.4 Ghz as most of my devises are 2.4Ghz or is there a way to transmit wifi  at 5Ghz and then change it to 2.4 Ghz ?

3 minutes ago, Dowload said:

I would rather use 2.4 Ghz as most of my devises are 2.4Ghz or is there a way to transmit wifi  at 5Ghz and then change it to 2.4 Ghz ?

Um your devices cant do 5 miles. You would have a device that connects to the long range wiress link and connect that to your router.  

You cant just use a long range transmitter to get the signal to you. You need another to transmit back. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Um your devices cant do 5 miles. You would have a device that connects to the long range wiress link and connect that to your router.  

You cant just use a long range transmitter to get the signal to you. You need another to transmit back. 

Do you know of any websites links ?

Keep in mind that in most countries there are strict restrictions on what you can and can't do with radio frequencies.

As you implement this, keep in mind that wind and heavy rain are going to be major issues. Please take those into account as you design the rig.
I have some experience with transmitting data over a wireless link. It was just 2D radar image + digital voice so not very high bandwidth. But even then, everything had to be just right. A good gust of wind will turn the the dish or make the pole wobble from side to side. Even a tiny bit at the transmitting end will make the signal miss the mark by a mile at the receiving end. We had the option of re-adjusting the dish manually on the fly and ramping up the power freely but it was still a huge pain in the ass.  All I can really say, the lower you set your dishes, the better. But then there's the rain. You won't be able to do much about that. Water is awesome at reflecting and absorbing radio signals which sucks for anyone trying to transmit data through it. Hopefully the current devices are better at penetrating it than ours were.

I see a few other issues here.

There's the interference you'll experience and cause if you decide to go with 2,4GHz. Transmitting above the allotted limit at 2.4GHz can get you a gnarly fine. The hackers/script kiddies are gonna be on your case from day one and eventually you'll have a man-in-the-middle situation if you do it with plain old WPA2-PSK and so on and so forth.

3 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

As you implement this, keep in mind that wind and heavy rain are going to be major issues. Please take those into account as you design the rig.
I have some experience with transmitting data over a wireless link. It was just 2D radar image + digital voice so not very high bandwidth. But even then, everything had to be just right. A good gust of wind will turn the the dish or make the pole wobble from side to side. Even a tiny bit at the transmitting end will make the signal miss the mark by a mile at the receiving end. We had the option of re-adjusting the dish manually on the fly and ramping up the power freely but it was still a huge pain in the ass.  All I can really say, the lower you set your dishes, the better. But then there's the rain. You won't be able to do much about that. Water is awesome at reflecting and absorbing radio signals which sucks for anyone trying to transmit data through it. Hopefully the current devices are better at penetrating it than ours were.

I see a few other issues here.

There's the interference you'll experience and cause if you decide to go with 2,4GHz. Transmitting above the allotted limit at 2.4GHz can get you a gnarly fine. The hackers/script kiddies are gonna be on your case from day one and eventually you'll have a man-in-the-middle situation if you do it with plain old WPA2-PSK and so on and so forth.

If I go with 5GHz what do you recommend? 

2 hours ago, Dowload said:

I am trying to connect to internet in a rural area. Down the street where I live is a fiber connection but at my house there is not fiber no cable no dsl nothing at all. I need something wifi based as I am not able to put any sort of wire in/on the ground or across the road  I can build a high antenna as I need to go over a couple of trees that block the  clear point to point connection. I have seen linus point to point 25 km 5ghz video but I am wondering if there is anything similar in 2.4ghz. also if a list of products that could  be purchased online would really be helpful. Thanks.

networking.png

The equipment Linus uses gets you an Ethernet cable at both ends. So after the anttenas you just connect a normal router for WiFi in your house.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

3 hours ago, Dowload said:

networking.png

Ubiquiti (the brand linus is using) has a wide range of products for long distance connections. For your setup, I would recommend either the LiteBeam AC or the NanoBeam AC. Both are exactly what you are looking for. Don't worry about legality, these run on 5Ghz, which is an open frequency. Doing p2p wifi is a somewhat complicated field, so I would recommend looking up some howto guides for the ubiquiti products. IMO Ubiquiti is by far the best brand for low cost p2p links.

My native language is C++

I do have a small question though. How is the OP going to get service. Because no ISP is just going to hook a wireless transmitter to their network. Service has to be set up at another address. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I do have a small question though. How is the OP going to get service. Because no ISP is just going to hook a wireless transmitter to their network. Service has to be set up at another address. 

He will have to make an agreement with the owner of the house that is able to get fiber, to either pay for the fiber internet completely, or split the bill if they are going to share bandwidth.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Could I use two 5GHz antennas and have one connected to a modem/ router and have the second one connected to a router so I am still able to to have a 2.4 GHz connection but the bridge from the modem to the router would be 5GHz ?

16 hours ago, JJHW149 said:

The equipment Linus uses gets you an Ethernet cable at both ends. So after the anttenas you just connect a normal router for WiFi in your house.

Oh really I can use a 2.4 ghz network after the antennas ?

14 minutes ago, Dowload said:

Oh really I can use a 2.4 ghz network after the antennas ?

Thats the idea. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Thats the idea. 

alright thanks a lot. that clarifies a lot of questions I had 

The wireless PtP link functions as a really long ethernet cable - it is completely transparent to the traffic carried over the link. Whatever data enters the ethernet port at one end, leaves the ethernet point at the other. So just think about it as a long ethernet cable, and make the rest of your network plans accordingly.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: