Mom shuts the router off at night. This is going to become a problem during the school year while I get home from work at 9:00.

STRMfrmXMN
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
3 minutes ago, SSL said:

So what are you currently doing that has enabled you to maintain your grades? You say that you have homework right now that requires internet access, so how are you doing it with work? If you have a solution, no matter how inconvenient, I'm sorry to say that is what you're stuck with.

If you don't have a solution, then you need to re-escalate the issue with school officials. If NONE of your teachers will do anything, talk to a counselor, vice-principle, or principle. If verbal interactions/appointments don't lead anywhere, re-state your issue in a written letter. I hardly need say that you should remain calm and respectful in these interactions, but you won't get anywhere if you are not persistent. In addition, suggest that your mother contact your teachers about your school performance - both to verify that you are doing to work, and to confirm that you actually do need internet access.

Well last school year I didn't work so I could often do homework during the day when my mom wasn't even home. Now that's not a possibility because I'll get home at 9:00 PM or later and my mom says that she's still going to be turning the router off when she goes to bed and that isn't changing. I don't have homework *right now* as it's summer but I don't want to be out of options when the school year starts, which is why I need to think this up now.

I'll talk to my comp sci teacher and will hopefully have this sorted out.

1 minute ago, Lord_Doge said:

i thought portland was cheap and that's why everyone moved there?

Lol no, it's stupid expensive to live here. Housing is usually sold for 100k+ over asking price within 2 days of it being put on the market because so many goddamn people are moving here.

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I fixed it lol. 

@STRMfrmXMN

Long range wifi antenna? How about a Yagi (get one from hak5 they are cheap) antenna and a small wifi card with a SMA connector so you can attach the Yagi to it. 

It looks a bit crazy but I've done it before lol

Well, discreet is not the key here but hey, it's a solution xD

I think I'm gonna call this thread "solved" for now as most of you seem to be confirming what I'm thinking as this goes on - get a teacher to butt in, second pay dad for more mobile data, or three, get a MiFi, or even fourth-ish, get a study hall class and this won't be a problem.

I need some sort of solution as I'm looking towards my final year of high school and the problem I'm going to have to face with my mom's complete intolerance of letting anybody in the house have access to the internet when she goes to bed. She usually goes to bed at around 9:30 which, if we figure I get home from work at 9 PM, I need to shower, eat dinner, and do homework, and my mom turns the router off when she goes to bed, means I will have no means of being able to do homework that needs internet access (which is most of my homework these days).

Solutions I've proposed to her/thought of that haven't worked - 

• Move everything in my room to the other bedroom that we don't use (previously my stepdad's but he moved out, largely because of this very issue) which has coax that I can plug a modem into - failed because my mom refuses to let me move everything in my room to the other room. 
  • Suggested she leave the router on all night so that I can get homework done when I get home from work. - Her explanation of why she won't leave it on is because "it keeps her awake at night and affects how she sleeps" even though the science on this proves that this is pretty much BS and that it doesn't affect our "brainwaves" at night. The router is in her room so I can't just go and turn it back on while she's sleeping.
  • Looked into putting a modem in my room. -  I only have ancient CAT3 ports in my room and have checked the wiring for all of them. None have a way, that I know of, of implementing coaxial into any of them. For whatever reason, wiring things with CAT3 is not well documented on the internet as it's such an old standard. My mom wouldn't even let me use another modem anyways as she would be charged extra for it and simply is hellbent on not letting me have internet access that she can't have control over.
  • Use my phone's data as a source of internet for my desktop/laptop - I'm severely limited to about 2 or 3 GB of data a month and my plan is on my dad's end and he has to pay $20 per month more if somebody uses a mobile hotspot so he won't let me do that. Data coverage in my area is extremely poor regardless.
  • I would move out when I turn 18 but rent in Portland is stupidly expensive and I've looked into living with roommates and it's still too expensive. Living with my dad would seem like the next logical option but his way of living is dangerously unhealthy and I don't want to live with him. He also has anger issues.
  • Taking study hall or something along those lines to get my homework done at school - I've done this previously and it was a lifesaver but my mom is convinced that I need to be taking four AP classes to get into a good school after community college (don't have the money nor the knowledge of what major I want to get so a four year university is out of the question until I know what I want to do) so now I don't have a study hall class. Her solution to me taking a study hall class, if I were too sneak behind her back and convince my counselor to switch classes around, would just be to disconnect me of any internet access. I swear I can't make this shit up, she's this ignorant about how important internet access for school is these days.

I know this sounds ranty and "forever alone Reddit neckbeard there's no help for my poor soul"-esque but I'm seriously struggling for a solution and already can see this becoming a huge problem, especially for my grades which my mom complains were too low last year (mix of As and Bs and a C). I can't quit my job as I need to pay for taking care of a car and having emergency funds in case I do seriously need to move out and live on my own. What are my options? 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Your options are:

1. Keep trying to convince her to let you move it.

2. Move out and out of Portland entirely, maybe a border area with lower cost of living.

3. Keep going as you are now... Which is very tied into #1.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Your options are:

1. Keep trying to convince her to let you move it.

2. Move out and out of Portland entirely, maybe a border area with lower cost of living.

3. Keep going as you are now... Which is very tied into #1.

1. I've been doing this for several years - it's not happening.

2. Within about 20 miles of central Portland is expensive. She wants to move to Eugene next summer and I could potentially find an apartment there. Might not be a terrible idea.

3. rip

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The router is inside her bedroom? Or she thinks a router in any part of the house can affect her sleep?

This is pretty shitty,really, you gave a lot o good sugestions and she dismisses all of them for dumb reasons.

I think she just does not wabt you to use internet and give bs excuses. But man,you NEED it for school,she is not logical.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

1. I've been doing this for several years - it's not happening.

2. Within about 20 miles of central Portland is expensive. She wants to move to Eugene next summer and I could potentially find an apartment there. Might not be a terrible idea.

3. rip

OH! I thought of another option.

Invest is a better cell plan and use your phone as a hotspot after 9:00pm.

2 minutes ago, Taja said:

The router is inside her bedroom? Or she thinks a router in any part of the house can affect her sleep?

This is pretty shitty,really, you gave a lot o good sugestions and she dismisses all of them for dumb reasons.

I think she just does not wabt you to use internet and give bs excuses. But man,you NEED it for school,she is not logical.

Yep, and she's convinced herself that the router affects her sleep even though, on the rare occasions she's forgotten to turn it off, she hasn't complained. Her reasons are all "I don't want to" or something along those sorts.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

OH! I thought of another option.

Invest is a better cell plan and use your phone as a hotspot after 9:00pm.

We have the best plan my dad is willing to pay for as him and my stepdad combined only use a little over a GB a month. I think Verizon charges for hotspots regardless of how much you pay but I might be wrong. I might be able to pay him for a better plan, I'll look into it :)

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

We have the best plan my dad is willing to pay for as him and my stepdad combined only use a little over a GB a month. I think Verizon charges for hotspots regardless of how much you pay but I might be wrong. I might be able to pay him for a better plan, I'll look into it :)

I meant getting your own plan since you work, but that won't go too well if your phone is on contract.

11 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yep, and she's convinced herself that the router affects her sleep even though, on the rare occasions she's forgotten to turn it off, she hasn't complained. Her reasons are all "I don't want to" or something along those sorts.

OH! There's another option of getting a cheap AP and running it into somewhere that isn't her room, then disable the AP on the router.

That requires running cables though. And at that point you may as well run one to your room.

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

I meant getting your own plan since you work, but that won't go too well if your phone is on contract.

Phone is on contract with Verizon. it's also too expensive when I make like 400 dollars a month and need to pay for insurance and all that.

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

OH! There's another option of getting a cheap AP and running it into somewhere that isn't her room, then disable the AP on the router.

That requires running cables though. And at that point you may as well run one to your room.

Yeah, I've considered different solutions for wiring like this. Probably not gonna happen.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Phone is on contract with Verizon. it's also too expensive when I make like 400 dollars a month and need to pay for insurance and all that.

Yeah, I've considered different solutions for wiring like this. Probably not gonna happen.

You're boned :/ 

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Oh wait, do you guys have coax anywhere else? Like a TV in a living room or something?

I just let my grades drop and then roll up to my mom and say "See, when internet wasn't an issue, I was doing just fine, As and Bs. But now that you've gone and done this, I can't get my homework done. Care to look at my grades?" Then when she turns the internet back on/gives me my computer back, I start trying and I'm back up to As and Bs.

Luckily I've only done this once and that seemed to prove my point, she never did that again

3 minutes ago, Fnoskar786 said:

I just let my grades drop and then roll up to my mom and say "See, when internet wasn't an issue, I was doing just fine, As and Bs. But now that you've gone and done this, I can't get my homework done. Care to look at my grades?" Then when she turns the internet back on/gives me my computer back, I start trying and I'm back up to As and Bs.

Luckily I've only done this once and that seemed to prove my point, she never did that again

My mom just shuts the router off all the time when my grades drop. I've gotten desperate enough to try this sort of thing.

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Oh wait, do you guys have coax anywhere else? Like a TV in a living room or something?

nope :/

No offense but you sound like a teenager who absolutely can't do anything on your own and follows every order and rule. Sometimes you just gotta stand for yourself and take the goddamn modem to your room by yourself. What's the worst your mom can do?

2 minutes ago, Illumination said:

No offense but you sound like a teenager who absolutely can't do anything on your own and follows every order and rule. Sometimes you just gotta stand for yourself and take the goddamn modem to your room by yourself. What's the worst your mom can do?

Kick him out as soon as he's 18.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Kick him out as soon as he's 18.

yeah of course because of a modem. she'll forget within a week

3 minutes ago, Illumination said:

I can't move the modem anywhere else... need coax.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Maybe save up a bit and have your ISP run some more / run ethernet to your room and show your mom how to just turn off the wireless. 

Just now, Illumination said:

yeah of course because of a modem. she'll forget within a week

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHH my mom doesn't forget shit. She holds me to "breaking" her DVD read/writer when she asked me to dub a bunch of VHS tapes to DVD awhile back and it broke from not being used for several years and suddenly being demanded. She still holds me to that and it's been 2 months. 

She also turns every simple question I ask her into an argument. I don't deliberately put her to any of this.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Don't speak for other's parents. Small shit can escalate. 

yeah of course moving a modem will definitely do that

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

well buy it

If you are a senior in High School I think it's time to stand up to your mom little hombre. Offer to cover the internet bill, or at least part of it. If that doesn't work just start turning the modem on at night. Tell her that she is leaving you no choice, and that your success in school and in life is being impeded by her lack of reasoning. Dealing with people like your mom and worse will be a part of life soon, so it's time to step up to the plate and give your first "fuck off" to the world.

For real though, if she is honestly preventing you from completing school work because of her stigma then you have every right to contact social services. Let her know that if all else fails.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1