What major should I choose

Go to solution Solved by TubsAlwaysWins,
Just now, suicidalfranco said:

seriously? i'm shocked 

Yeah. I had a friend that tried to work for best buy and according to him (more specifically for Geek Squad) you need a major in computer repair. Which is basically building computers and using google

So I currently work at geek squad in an entree level position. I can tell you that when I was originally hired I had no certifications or degree and was not in school at the time for any type of degree, but they do help to have. First thing you have to do is apply. I recommend that if you ever see any job regardless of any "requirements" it states you need, that you still apply and fill out any sort of application they have. After all if you don't try you will for sure not get the job. If you can at least draw the attention of the hiring manager they will get you in for an interview where they will ask you questions to see if your really interested/fit in the job. Again like any job showing confident, having some experience with interviews/ being prepare (which varies from job to job and person to person) and showing skills in what ever your apply for also goes a long way.

When I went for my interview I had tailor my resume to fit better to show my skills for geek squad and highlighting my other skills in similar fields (Retail), knowing how to do this regardless of job helps a lot. I also had a fair amount of interviews at this point as I had been doing 10 interviews within the last month, since I was going out of my way looking for a new job. One thing I had gone over in the interview was how I was super passionate about computers, how I had been involved with them since I was a kid, built my own and a couple of friends computers, repaired a bunch of different game consoles, that I am the "Tech guy" for most of my friends, that I keep up with recent technology through pod cast (Wan show) and various news outlets.

I can tell you right now that I have since gone back to college to finish my computer science degree, Have a couple smaller scale certifications, am taking my Comptia A+ in a month. Its really depends on who you talk to on if you need a degree or certifications or/and just experience. I honestly don't have a clear answer for you for what is more valuable, as I don't have one myself and that topic would take a couple paragraphs to really highlight all sides and why different people have different views. But I do think that the more of any of these you have will always help. I remember Linus in one of his older videos stating that one of the things that really helped him was just actively participating in forums and helping as best he could and being open to all and any input.

For what its worth my current logic is that I am going for a basic Computer Science degree (since its super flexible (like what @Maxxie was talking about locking yourself in)) to get a leg up over some people and to show I cared enough to go to college, then I will use certifications to show my specializations. (I plan on going into networking field at the moment). Don't feel like you have to have it all figured out or do it like anyone else, @almondhive brought up a lot of good points. After all you are you and not me or Linus or anyone else out their in the world.

Anyway, I know I like to ramble and I am very tired. I hoped this helped you.