So I have been browsing YouTube, and I was watching some vids of people liquid cooling their Intel PCIe SSD's. Can anyone tell me the purpose of doing this? It seems like a waste of time and money to me. I don't know if you can OC an SSD, but if you can, could someone explain to me how? Thanks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (liquid cooled) GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra non-LHR MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 (2x16GB) PSU: Corsair HX1200i (overkill yes, but was free!) Storage: 1 TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe, 2TB XPG SX8100 NVMe, 4TB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2x 480GB SATA SSDs, 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow (with upgraded USB-C front panel) Sound Card: EVGA Nu Audio Liquid Cooling parts: EK Supremacy Classic RGB AMD Nickel+Plexi, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. pump), 2x EK 240mm PE radiator, EK Duraclear clear tubing

3 minutes ago, SirBilliam said:

So I have been browsing YouTube, and I was watching some vids of people liquid cooling their Intel PCIe SSD's. Can anyone tell me the purpose of doing this? It seems like a waste of time and money to me. I don't know if you can OC an SSD, but if you can, could someone explain to me how? Thanks.

Its mainly for looks. They don't need the cooling.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

They do need cooling, they need heatsinks because they get really Hot.

Liquid cooling is just being fancy and overkill, just like liquid cooling CPUs and GPUs is most of the time.

It's for fun.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Some actually do.  Thermal throttle is an issue on high speed PCIe SSDs.

Just now, Enderman said:

They do need cooling, they need heatsinks because they get really Hot.

Liquid cooling is just being fancy and overkill, just like liquid cooling CPUs and GPUs is most of the time.

It's for fun.

Well, liquid cooling the CPU and GPU usually serves a great purpose for overclockers. Anyone who spend money liquid cooling them and doesn't overclock them is a fool, impo. The added benefit would be the looks, not the primary benefit. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (liquid cooled) GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra non-LHR MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 (2x16GB) PSU: Corsair HX1200i (overkill yes, but was free!) Storage: 1 TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe, 2TB XPG SX8100 NVMe, 4TB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2x 480GB SATA SSDs, 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow (with upgraded USB-C front panel) Sound Card: EVGA Nu Audio Liquid Cooling parts: EK Supremacy Classic RGB AMD Nickel+Plexi, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. pump), 2x EK 240mm PE radiator, EK Duraclear clear tubing

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Some actually do.  Thermal throttle is an issue on high speed PCIe SSDs.

lol like the samsung nvme drives... 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, SirBilliam said:

Well, liquid cooling the CPU and GPU usually serves a great purpose for overclockers. Anyone who spend money liquid cooling them and doesn't overclock them is a fool, impo. The added benefit would be the looks, not the primary benefit. 

You can pretty much overclock just as much with a good heatsink.

Unless you're one of those people pushing 1.4v+ trying to get over 5GHz on water, most of the time a heatsink will work just fine.

The primary purpouse of a custom loop is looks and fun.

You don't justify $600+ of watercooling parts for 200MHz more performance.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, SirBilliam said:

i have h100i but also have a 8350 ;) even on stock the heat that comes out of the rad is pretty warm. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can pretty much overclock just as much with a good heatsink.

Unless you're one of those people pushing 1.4v+ trying to get over 5GHz on water, most of the time a heatsink will work just fine.

The primary purpouse of a custom loop is looks and fun.

You don't justify $600+ of watercooling parts for 200MHz more performance.

Generally speaking your overall simplification is correct as it relates to most 4 core or smaller CPUs.

When you start getting into higher core counts, water cooling goes from "looks and fun" to necessity if you want to hit decent, not even fantastic, stable overclocks.

Just now, vorticalbox said:

i have h100i but also have a 8350 ;) even on stock the heat that comes out of the rad is pretty warm. 

That's the 8350 life for ya

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Generally speaking your overall simplification is correct as it relates to most 4 core or smaller CPUs.

When you start getting into higher core counts, water cooling goes from "looks and fun" to necessity if you want to hit decent, not even fantastic, stable overclocks.

5820k is the same TDP as the 6950X

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/763507-Overclocking-i7-5820K-with-a-Noctua-NH-D15-dual-fan-setup

It's a decent overclock with good temps. NH-D15 does just fine.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/763507-Overclocking-i7-5820K-with-a-Noctua-NH-D15-dual-fan-setup

That explains a lot.

If you think that a 5820k and 6950x produce even remotely close to the same thermal load your are sadly mistaken.  That's actually funny that you even went there.

Having had both of those processors in your comparison of "TDP"  I speak in first hand knowledge, when I say that they aren't even in the same category cooling wise.  

the high speed pci-e and m.2 SSDs need more cooling than they have by default to perform optimally.

puget systems, for example, glues heatsinks to their M.2 drives, which makes them perform significantly better.

watercooling an SSD is -like watercooling your motherboard- completely overkill, but it looks totally ballin' :P

Just now, manikyath said:

watercooling an SSD is -like watercooling your motherboard- completely overkill, but it looks totally ballin' :P

...as I quietly remove the monoblock from my motherboard.  :ph34r:

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

the high speed pci-e and m.2 SSDs need more cooling than they have by default to perform optimally.

puget systems, for example, glues heatsinks to their M.2 drives, which makes them perform significantly better.

Hello again

Just now, done12many2 said:

...as I quietly remove the monoblock from my motherboard.  :ph34r:

i have a 4k dell ultrasharp as an auxilary monitor :P

Just now, SirBilliam said:

Hello again

Man, I thought I had a high ambient temp today until I saw your location.  I'll just keep my mouth shut!

1 minute ago, SirBilliam said:

Hello again

good morning, how is your day?

(since we're greeting either way.)

13 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That explains a lot.

If you think that a 5820k and 6950x produce even remotely close to the same thermal load your are sadly mistaken.  That's actually funny that you even went there.

Having had both of those processors in your comparison of "TDP"  I speak in first hand knowledge, when I say that they aren't even in the same category cooling wise.  

They do.

That's why the the 5960X and 6950X which have more cores have a lower clock speed.

The TDP is equalized.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

They do.

That's why the the 5960X and 6950X which have more cores have a lower clock speed.

The TDP is equalized.

Now you're changing the topic around to fit your argument, which is getting pointless.   Our original discussion was over "decent" overclocks in multi core processors and now you're comparing "lower clock speeds" of higher core counts in order to bring TDP back into it.  Once you overclock anything, the stock TDP specification goes right out the window and so does your argument, which seems to flip back and forth.  

Once again, you're passing information based off of something you theorize or read somewhere.  I'm telling you that I've personally cooled both of the processors in our discussion under the exact same conditions.  I'm not basing this off of my opinion, but more my experience.

9 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Now you're changing the topic around to fit your argument, which is getting pointless.   Our original discussion was over "decent" overclocks in multi core processors and now you're comparing "lower clock speeds" of higher core counts in order to bring TDP back into it.  Once you overclock anything, the stock TDP specification goes right out the window and so does your argument, which seems to flip back and forth.  

Once again, you're passing information based off of something you theorize or read somewhere.  I'm telling you that I've personally cooled both of the processors in our discussion under the exact same conditions.  I'm not basing this off of my opinion, but more my experience.

Obviously a 6950X at 4GHz will output a lot more heat than a 5820K at 4GHz since the overclock is much larger on the 5820k.

If you overclock the 5820K by 200MHz, and overclock the 5960X by 200MHz, the new heat output will almost be the same since the only difference is 2 cores.

The fact is, at stock, the TDP is the same for the 5820K as it is for the 6950X.

And there are people cooling the 6950X just fine on a heatsink, and have it overclocked.

It seems to me like the concept of heat output is very difficult for you to understand...

A NH-D15 can cool a decently overcloked extreme edition i7 no problem. Whoever made you believe you need massive liquid cooling for that is not very smart.

What DOES need lots of liquid cooling is the really dumb FX9590 with 200W+ TDP.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

It's for fun.

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

That explains a lot.

44 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Obviously a 6950X at 4GHz will output a lot more heat than a 5820K at 4GHz since the overclock is much larger on the 5820k.

If you overclock the 5820K by 200MHz, and overclock the 5960X by 200MHz, the new heat output will almost be the same since the only difference is 2 cores.

The fact is, at stock, the TDP is the same for the 5820K as it is for the 6950X.

And there are people cooling the 6950X just fine on a heatsink, and have it overclocked.

It seems to me like the concept of heat output is very difficult for you to understand...

A NH-D15 can cool a decently overcloked extreme edition i7 no problem. Whoever made you believe you need massive liquid cooling for that is not very smart.

What DOES need lots of liquid cooling is the really dumb FX9590 with 200W+ TDP.

You can clearly see that you've gone in a full circle with regards to shaping your argument and all you did was prove my initial statement.  When overclocked, the TDP drastically changes and water cooling becomes more than a "it's for fun" type thing when it pertains to higher core count processors.

Our entire conversation was based on overclocked multi core processors as I already agreed that your over simplification of water cooling is generally applicable to 4 cores and lower.

You're version of "decent overclock" with air cooling is providing a link to a 5820k at 4.2 GHz @ 1.17v, which doesn't qualify as even remotely close to average.  You used a low example that barely breaks stock voltages in order to validate that air cooling can handle "decent overclocking"  Once again, you only continue to make my point.

You have no idea what you are talking about with regards to water cooling capabilities and I realize that the more you talk.  I'm more of an actually did it kind of guy, while you're more of a I read that somewhere kind of guy.  

I'm glad that air cooling works well for your 4790k, but not all CPUs put off as little heat as it does when overclocked.

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

blablabla

I don't use air cooling for my 4790k.

But people use air cooling for their overclocked 5960Xs.

So no, watercooling is not necessary for extreme edition i7s, it is optional.

Watercooling is also optional for GPUs, and in this case SSDs.

So please just stop trying to derail the thread, it is clear you don't know the capabilities of air coolers.

Watercooling is a fun hobby. People don't spend $1000 on watercooling parts for a 200MHz more overclock.

If people want more performance, they could spend that $1000 on a better processor like a 18 core xeon.

If people wanted high clock speeds, they could spend that money on a phase change cooler.

But people want something that is fun to build, looks nice, and is quiet.

Spoiler