HDMI or Display port?

james_broad

Which one is better to use? Opinions facts gimme anything you guys got.

I'd go with DisplayPort. It supports much higher res/refresh rate than HDMI. HDMI 2 is making up a little ground, but not all the way, and pretty much nothing has it (that I've seen at least).

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

HDMI is good because it is ubiquitous. Display port is better in every other regard. It has a locking connection, much higher bandwidth, and can be adapted to any other signal. It also doesn't have royalty fees associated with it.

When in doubt, re-format.

Displayport. Unlike HDMI, it has a locking connector that prevents the cable from disconnecting from whatever you plug it into in case you pull on it or something. Displayport can also support higher refresh rates than HDMI.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

While technically both are equally good in most common resolution (say 1920x1080 60Hz), Display Port gives you a "plug-in and it works", while HDMI doesn't really. HDMI you sometimes need to play with over scans adjustments, sometimes even create a custom resolution as it is unable to detect your monitor one properly. While DisplayPort, is like DVI. You plug it, and it works. everything works.

On top of it all, DisplayPort support (with supported monitors) daisy chaining, and as mentioned by other here: higher resolutions, higher refresh rate, more colors (for supported monitors), while HDMI catches up eventually to DisplayPort advancements, HDMI focus is on TV and filming equipment, not computers.

18 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

It also doesn't have royalty fees associated with it.

huh?

3 minutes ago, SeamusFrederick said:

huh?

royalty fees mean you have to pay more im pretty sure because the manufacturers have to pay a fee for the franchise name, a royalty fee is taken as a percentage usually of net sales and thats paid to sell the brand? i think thats right but i guess the guy means HDMI is more expensive? correct me if im wrong xD

4 hours ago, SeamusFrederick said:

huh?

4 hours ago, james_broad said:

royalty fees mean you have to pay more im pretty sure because the manufacturers have to pay a fee for the franchise name, a royalty fee is taken as a percentage usually of net sales and thats paid to sell the brand? i think thats right but i guess the guy means HDMI is more expensive? correct me if im wrong xD

Device manufacturers have to pay a licensing fee for each device they produce with an HDMI port on it. It is a closed standard. Display port is an "open" standard in that it is free to be used by manufacturers.

When in doubt, re-format.