Fresh W10 Install on SSD. Need Help Formatting Drives

I have a 250 gig Samsung 750 EVO on the way and want to switch to W10 from W7 Ultimate Edition-the latter of which is currently installed on a 1TB HDD.

I want to do a clean install of the OS (i already have it on a flash drive)

I want to reformat/wipe the HDD and want to know what the specifics of doing that are during the installation process. 

And for reals, is the switch worth it? Feel free to share your experience and opinions.  The main reason for upgrading was DX12 and the "exclusive" titles that are coming to the platform.

Any help'd be appreciated :)

Upgrade to W10 at the moment to "change" your key to a Windows 10 key. Then when your new drive gets here just simply flatten it and install Windows 10 (no need to upgrade from 7).

To format your drive just follow the Windows install instructions and select to delete all partitions currently on your 1TB during the drive selection part of the install.

Going from HDD > SSD is a MASSIVE upgrade to any system.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

If you want to install Windows 10 on the SSD (Massive improvement), and store files on the HDD, follow this guide: 

I edit my posts a lot.

Learn from my error:

I had windows 10 on my HDD and put my new SSD in. I booted from the Windows CD and installed windows 10 on my SSD. Windows formated my SSD in GPT and not MBR which is requiered for my mainboard to boot from. I didnt lose any data but i had to reinstall it twice and move files around...

Had to unplug my HDD and just let windows install it on my SSD. It formated my SSD then in MBR.

2 hours ago, Altecice said:

Upgrade to W10 at the moment to "change" your key to a Windows 10 key. Then when your new drive gets here just simply flatten it and install Windows 10 (no need to upgrade from 7).

To format your drive just follow the Windows install instructions and select to delete all partitions currently on your 1TB during the drive selection part of the install.

Going from HDD > SSD is a MASSIVE upgrade to any system.

I'm pretty sure i don't need to upgrade first? i already have the OS ready to install on a flash drive using the media creation tool from the website. I don't think i'll need any keys unless i install it on another system-at least that's what the instructions say on the website. it's supposed to recognize your system apparently 

Anyways, this is the process i had in my head.-

-Plug in SSD&W10 flash drive

-boot from the flash drive and opt to install the OS itself the SSD and reformat the HDD in the process.

There might be some specifics i'm missing here^ like fiddling around in the bios (i've got an asus m5a97 board) 

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Learn from my error:

I had windows 10 on my HDD and put my new SSD in. I booted from the Windows CD and installed windows 10 on my SSD. Windows formated my SSD in GPT and not MBR which is requiered for my mainboard to boot from. I didnt lose any data but i had to reinstall it twice and move files around...

Had to unplug my HDD and just let windows install it on my SSD. It formated my SSD then in MBR.

Which motherboard did you use? and is MBR formatting required for all boards to boot? or is it it specific to some variable. (Sorry if this sounds like a noob question, i've been out of the loop a while)  thanks for contributing! 

37 minutes ago, aryamanp56 said:

Which motherboard did you use? and is MBR formatting required for all boards to boot? or is it it specific to some variable. (Sorry if this sounds like a noob question, i've been out of the loop a while)  thanks for contributing! 

I have a z 97 pc mate motherboard, which i bought 2015. GPT is not required. GPT is newer then MBR and normally should all boards boot with GPT as long as they support UEFI mode in their bios (as far as i know). My board has UEFI mode but it simply didnt boot when windows was on a GPT partition. Luckily someone on this forum had this problem before me so i knew what was going on after i did some research.

GPT or MBR doesnt matter at all as long as your system boots. GPT saves a few hundred MB HDD space because it doesnt need the small system requiered space before its partition and thats basically all.

40 minutes ago, aryamanp56 said:

-Plug in SSD&W10 flash drive

-boot from the flash drive and opt to install the OS itself the SSD and reformat the HDD in the process.

Thats exactly what i did except i format my HDD after windows installation.

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I have a z 97 pc mate motherboard, which i bought 2015. GPT is not required. GPT is newer then MBR and normally should all boards boot with GPT as long as they support UEFI mode in their bios (as far as i know). My board has UEFI mode but it simply didnt boot when windows was on a GPT partition. Luckily someone on this forum had this problem before me so i knew what was going on after i did some research.

GPT or MBR doesnt matter at all as long as your system boots. GPT saves a few hundred MB HDD space because it doesnt require the small system requiered space before its partition and thats basically all.

Thanks for letting me know! But how does the system choose the kind of formatting that's appropriate? and is there a way to adjust it etc..

44 minutes ago, aryamanp56 said:

I guess you avoid my entire problem by doing it this way, so dont worry

1 minute ago, aryamanp56 said:

Thanks for letting me know! But how does the system choose the kind of formatting that's appropriate? and is there a way to adjust it etc..

The problem is that you just choose the partition while you install windows. You cant chose it for yourself while install. You can later change it very easily programs like "Paragon partition manager" or even do it yourself.

Again dont worry, if you dont fuck it up like it will all work.