Allow the editing of posts from users with moderator permission

Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,

It works well on Stack Exchange due to the design of their forums - their forums are centered on answering questions, whereas our community is more discussion centric. Because of this, I personally couldn't see this as something that we would implement. 

I think the implementation of this would be fairly difficult I believe, but the positives can outweigh that difficulty. 

Idea 1:

Such as the Stack Exchange site, any user can "edit" a post. However, it will only apply when a moderator approves it.

Idea 2:

Such as the Stack Exchange site, any user can "edit" a post. However, only "trusted" users can apply edits as well as moderators. (Trusted users can also edit directly).

Also, a trusted user can only apply edits every 5 minutes or so to prevent spam in a "worst case scenario".

Also, posts with pending edits could have an icon next to them only the moderators/trusted editors can see.

What this will do is get all the posts with incorrect grammar, spelling and punctuation etc, and make it more appealing for people who come from external sources.

Just an idea to add a bit more integrity :) 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

sounds like way too much work for mods

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

6 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

sounds like way too much work for mods

6 hours ago, Bittenfleax said:

I think the implementation of this would be fairly difficult I believe, but the positives can outweigh that difficulty. 

As said, it would be difficult but I think the difficulty would be outweighed by the positive impact it would have on the forums.

The amount of time I have been deterred from a post (all over the internet) just because I want to find a solution without trying to figure out what they are saying. 

5 hours ago, DannyRyu said:

But why?

Read the post and it explains why?!

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

5 hours ago, Bittenfleax said:

As said, it would be difficult but I think the difficulty would be outweighed by the positive impact it would have on the forums.

The amount of time I have been deterred from a post (all over the internet) just because I want to find a solution without trying to figure out what they are saying. 

I dont think this is a good solution at all

especially as somebody might interpret something wrong

the mods should just be more severe against people posting incomprehensible topics

5 hours ago, Bittenfleax said:

Read the post and it explains why?!

also it just promotes grammar nazis, nobody wants to waste their time on this IMO

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It seems like it would just be a lot of work for moderators to essentially police grammar. Doesn't really add anything to the forum if you ask me. 

Also, I can see this sort of feature being abused like crazy. Mods have enough to deal with. 

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I dont think this is a good solution at all

especially as somebody might interpret something wrong

the mods should just be more severe against people posting incomprehensible topics

That's true, but thats why there is trusted users. Who won't interpret things wrong, it is a hard mistake to make.

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

also it just promotes grammar nazis

And yeah that is true. But I guess there can be regulations etc and it does not matter too much if the post has good grammar??

Take it as a no from the community - thanks for considering :) 

2 hours ago, Bittenfleax said:

That's true, but thats why there is trusted users. Who won't interpret things wrong, it is a hard mistake to make.

Trusted users are mods. There are no in between. It would be extremely hard to pick trusted members who wouldn't also fit as mods. Forum helpers has been suggested before but giving mod power to non-mods is hazard waiting to happen.

2 hours ago, Bittenfleax said:

And yeah that is true. But I guess there can be regulations etc and it does not matter too much if the post has good grammar??

Regulations? Like what? Personally I think its rude towards OP to edit out their grammar mistakes. Many users come from countries where English is not their first or even second language. Picking on their grammar rather than trying to help is something I hate on this community. Its very rarely that problem goes unsolved because of grammar. I think having grammar editors in action would not draw more people in. It would rather make this forums look very strict and unwelcoming for new users.

Only thing I can see this being good for are guides, tutorials, databases etc. Where OP has reason or another left forums/thread but its still seen as valuable piece. So mods could promote another user/s to keep updating info. This is good example where mods are keeping it updated:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It works well on Stack Exchange due to the design of their forums - their forums are centered on answering questions, whereas our community is more discussion centric. Because of this, I personally couldn't see this as something that we would implement. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

The reason people are running from Stack Exchange websites is because the users are becoming bullies because they have too much power.  That's why I like Linus Tech Tips forums - they work and users aren't bullies.