GTX 480

crysilis
1 minute ago, crysilis said:

im not sure it would burn down his house

i'm telling you this from an electician's background, instead of my IT background:

if that thing goes violent, it WILL go VIOLENT and if anything flammable catches on to that, the guy's house is gone, and potentially also both neighbors.

if you think that's a funny enough joke to go "i'm no sure" you should seriously hit yourself in the back of the head with a baseball bat.

Just now, App4that said:

Brother I've got parts I've forgotten I have, doesn't mean I go around destroying it, and it's my shit. You're not 8 with a GiJoe and a Roman Candle...

I swear, people get dumber by the minute... no wonder we no longer get voltage control or any type of control over anything on modern hardware....

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Yeah i have to conclude from the evidence given from the courts that the topic creator is the dick.

Case closed, get yourself a better lawyer.

Core i7 6700k @ 4800mhz 1.33v * 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000mhz * ASUS Z170-A * Corsair H100i * ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX @ 2100mhz * XFX Pro Black Edition 80+ Gold 850w * Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S * AOC U2879VF 28" 4K

Just now, don_svetlio said:

the OP said his friend has an OEM PSU with old hardware. What does that make you think about the PSU?

It makes me think that you dramatically underestimate even OEM PSU's and don't have any idea when it comes to failure rates. Most still won't explode. He could maybe kills the PSU over time... But it sure as hell won't be fast and won't likely cause any sparks. 

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

It makes me think that you dramatically underestimate even OEM PSU's and don't have any idea when it comes to failure rates. Most still won't explode. He could maybe kills the PSU over time... But it sure as hell won't be fast and won't likely cause any sparks. 

Man, those OEM PSUs are usually 350-400W at most. the 480 pulls over 300W by itself. It would overload them badly. That is how you cause fires...

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Tell you what OP, you want to destroy a PC then where are you? Not even kidding. Stop by and I'll give you a HP to grenade. At least I think it's an HP..

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I AM GOING TO GIVE HIM A FUCKING PENTIUM 4 MACHINE

HE HAS AN OEM SYSTEM WITH LIKE AN I5

You could either give that Pentium 4 machine to some village in Africa where they don't have "OEM SYSTEMS WITH LIKE AN I5" or you could fucking ruin it and potentially start a house fire all for some stupid-ass prank that will not be at all funny in the end, because if you're honest with yourself, he will not use the machine, and you won't get a single laugh. I'm still confused as how you intend to accomplish the overclocking of a graphics card until it fries itself, as expressed in a previous post.

I will most likely not respond to you in a thread unless you quote me.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

Damnit Carl (My portable POS):

CPU: Core i7-6700HQ

Motherboard: Toshiba L55-C5392 Mobo

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (even though I have Skylake)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530

Case: Toshiba L55-C5392 Case

Storage: 525 GB Crucial MX300 SSD

PSU: Whatever power jack comes with it

Display: Some 1366 x 768 garbage + an OK 1080p monitor

Cooling: Not enough + an external laptop tray

Keyboard: The included one

Mouse: $4 Lenovo 3D Optical Mouse (not as bad as you (rightly) assumed)

Sound: The Skullcandy branding right under the power button should clue you in

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Man, those OEM PSUs are usually 350-400W at most. the 480 pulls over 300W by itself. It would overload them badly. That is how you cause fires...

Have you seen reviews for power supplies? Most will just shut off when overloaded, and some can manage over max rated really well too.

Core i7 6700k @ 4800mhz 1.33v * 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000mhz * ASUS Z170-A * Corsair H100i * ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX @ 2100mhz * XFX Pro Black Edition 80+ Gold 850w * Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S * AOC U2879VF 28" 4K

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Hah! On top of that, those are usually 350w's advertised as 500w's :Plying fucks. Regardless, average full system load back then with a 480 was sitting at around 450w. That'll kill a 350w PSU gradually over time, or not even boot. It's not likely it's go boom.

Hmm... Think I should do anything with my dual 470s that are sitting in my room?

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Hah! Those are usually 350w's advertised as 500w's :P let's not give them too much credit. Regardless, full system load back then with a 480 was sitting at around 450w. That'll kill a PSU gradually over time, or not even boot. It's not likely it's go boom.

Hmm... Think I should do anything with my dual 470s that are sitting in my room?

Well if the stories are true for the 480, 2 470's are best played with in winter.

Call those your winter toys.

Just now, 1Cup1Tea said:

Have you seen reviews for power supplies? Most will just shut off when overloaded, and some can manage over max rated really well too.

We are talking a 2006 no-name chinese cheapo. Do you have any idea how volatile they are? Modern BRANDED PSUs don't explode as easily. Chinese crap? Those are fucking fire crackers...

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Hah! On top of that, those are usually 350w's advertised as 500w's :Plying fucks. Regardless, average full system load back then with a 480 was sitting at around 450w. That'll kill a 350w PSU gradually over time, or not even boot. It's not likely it's go boom.

Try doing what the OP wants. See if it doesn't go boom...

Oh I'm serious Don. Things been under my desk for ever. Was going to use it to play Fallout 3 because the ****ing game won't run on Windows 10 for shit. But got distracted.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, 1Cup1Tea said:

Well if the stories are true for the 480, 2 470's are best played with in winter.

Call those your winter toys.

GTX 480 - the power of the sun at your fingertips :P

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Hah! On top of that, those are usually 350w's advertised as 500w's :P let's not give them too much credit. Regardless, full system load back then with a 480 was sitting at around 450w. That'll kill a PSU gradually over time, or not even boot. It's not likely it's go boom.

2 minutes ago, 1Cup1Tea said:

2 minutes ago, LordMastodon said:

You could either give that Pentium 4 machine to some village in Africa where they don't have "OEM SYSTEMS WITH LIKE AN I5" or you could fucking ruin it and potentially start a house fire all for some stupid-ass prank that will not be at all funny in the end, because if you're honest with yourself, he will not use the machine, and you won't get a single laugh. I'm still confused as how you intend to accomplish the overclocking of a graphics card until it fries itself, as expressed in a previous post.

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

5 minutes ago, 1Cup1Tea said:

Yeah i have to conclude from the evidence given from the courts that the topic creator is the dick.

Case closed, get yourself a better lawyer.

6 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I swear, people get dumber by the minute... no wonder we no longer get voltage control or any type of control over anything on modern hardware....

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'm telling you this from an electician's background, instead of my IT background:

if that thing goes violent, it WILL go VIOLENT and if anything flammable catches on to that, the guy's house is gone, and potentially also both neighbors.

if you think that's a funny enough joke to go "i'm no sure" you should seriously hit yourself in the back of the head with a baseball bat.

ok people chill it was just an idea i was thinking about after looking 

that video on degredation by linus look at the post i edited it it was all just an idea

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

you know... that may actually be it right there...

also, quick in between for anyone wondering what could go wrong.

OP mentioned dropping it in an old system, i explain to you what could go down here, and why you condoning OP's actions could end your ass up in court:

- GPU fails and shorts out entirely

- the short burns out the motherboard, and the GPU's power plug

- mobo shorts out the 24pin at least

- psu's overcurrent protection is not sufficient or not present and blows a BIG cap (those caps are huge, you dont want those to pop

- psu catches fire

- the house circuit breaker -hopefully- pops at this point

- the psu fire pumps out some SERIOUSLY poisonous fumes that wont kill you, but are no where near funny

- something catches fire from the PSU

- entire house burns down

- both neighbors also have damage from the fire

- potentially someone gets killed

- police investigates, finds someone condoned his actions online, turns towards you and/or the forum.

even if all goes "as planned" for OP, the risk of before mentioned situation happening is too big, and too dangerous of an outcome to even consider actions like this.

ok people chill it was just an idea i was thinking about after looking 

that video on degredation by linus look at the post i edited it it was all just an idea

If you call down the thunder then you better be ready to reap the whirlwind.

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Not to mention the (ostensibly) low efficiency of whatever shit power supply they crammed into your system.

In addition, if your prank  succeeded and you got the card to catch fire, you would actually be committing a crime (arson, heard of it?), and if any serious damage occurred, you could face jail time.

I will most likely not respond to you in a thread unless you quote me.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

Damnit Carl (My portable POS):

CPU: Core i7-6700HQ

Motherboard: Toshiba L55-C5392 Mobo

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (even though I have Skylake)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530

Case: Toshiba L55-C5392 Case

Storage: 525 GB Crucial MX300 SSD

PSU: Whatever power jack comes with it

Display: Some 1366 x 768 garbage + an OK 1080p monitor

Cooling: Not enough + an external laptop tray

Keyboard: The included one

Mouse: $4 Lenovo 3D Optical Mouse (not as bad as you (rightly) assumed)

Sound: The Skullcandy branding right under the power button should clue you in

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

Just now, Arokhantos said:

pranks aren't cool, don't prank....... doesn't matter if you give him a free gtx 480, it does't change anything at all, you potentially setting up a fire hazard burning his house down...... just stop.

it was just a thought

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

Don... I have. I've thrown them in a rig with a PSU that had 2 english words then nothing but chinese lol.

It's not likely to see sparks from a PSU. They'll usually just shut off or not boot at all.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you know... that may actually be it right there...

also, quick in between for anyone wondering what could go wrong.

OP mentioned dropping it in an old system, i explain to you what could go down here, and why you condoning OP's actions could end your ass up in court:

- GPU fails and shorts out entirely

- the short burns out the motherboard, and the GPU's power plug

- mobo shorts out the 24pin at least

- psu's overcurrent protection is not sufficient or not present and blows a BIG cap (those caps are huge, you dont want those to pop

- psu catches fire

- the house circuit breaker -hopefully- pops at this point

- the psu fire pumps out some SERIOUSLY poisonous fumes that wont kill you, but are no where near funny

- something catches fire from the PSU

- entire house burns down

- both neighbors also have damage from the fire

- potentially someone gets killed

- police investigates, finds someone condoned his actions online, turns towards you and/or the forum.

even if all goes "as planned" for OP, the risk of before mentioned situation happening is too big, and too dangerous of an outcome to even consider actions like this.

This here is the exact reason this type of thing should NOT be done and why I shit on crappy PSUs.

This here is the exact reason this type of thing should NOT be done and why I shit on crappy PSUs.

You really could use a new toilet.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Don... I have. I've thrown them in a rig with a PSU that had 2 english words then nothing but chinese lol.

It's not likely to see sparks from a PSU. They'll usually just shut off or not boot at all.

If it was a Delta unit (Taiwan) then that's normal. Try an HEC unit, see what happens...

Just now, 1Cup1Tea said:

You really could use a new toilet.

Shit PSUs are the perfect toilet :)

If it was a Delta unit (Taiwan) then that's normal. Try an HEC unit, see what happens...

No it wasn't a Delta. I'm very familair with Delta. I'll see if I still have it in my garage and give more detail later.

Anyhow, @Ryan_Vickers can we please have this removed? This is borderline illegal....