4 Pin to 8 Pin

Go to solution Solved by scobie56,

using my bored and my CPU i had my 4690k running on 4 pin power for a long time it should be fine but like @SLAYR said the worst thing that will happen is it will not post, boot, or be stable at high loads

I've built a PC for someone and i want to do a quick test boot

But the PSU is 4 Pin for CPU power and the motherboard is 8 Pin for CPU power,

I do have a 4 Pin to 8 Pin adapter coming soon but as a test boot would i be able to run an AMD Athlon 860K on the 4 pin temporarily or is it not worth the risk?

btw the PSU is 500W 

The worst thing that would happen is the board not booting, or the system crashing under high cpu load.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

using my bored and my CPU i had my 4690k running on 4 pin power for a long time it should be fine but like @SLAYR said the worst thing that will happen is it will not post, boot, or be stable at high loads

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

i'll try it now and see what happens

Yes and in fact the 4 pin to 8 pin is not going to necessarily be better anyways due to it still being a 4 pin. Just in case you weren't sure the 4 pin goes in the middle 4 pins with 2 pins on each side. 

7 minutes ago, MajorJRL73 said:

Yes and in fact the 4 pin to 8 pin is not going to necessarily be better anyways due to it still being a 4 pin. Just in case you weren't sure the 4 pin goes in the middle 4 pins with 2 pins on each side. 

No the 4 pin would sit on one of the sides, an eight pin is split in exactly in half to be used on boards with a just a 4pin, also because the connector wouldn't be keyed right to fit in the middle.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •