Will ECC Server Memory work in my X58 motherboard? (ASUS P6T)

2 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i think this is ECC Registered/buffered memory. Because ECC Registered is also know as buffered memory. am i right? @SLAYR

if im correct then that means i can buy cheap ass ECC Registered DIMMs on ebay for much less $$$ and have much higher capacity since @Gazereths

has just pioneered and confirmed that ECC Registered memory will work on a P6T provided that it has a Xeon CPU inside. 

Buffered memory is registered memory.

In the video that @Gazereths posted it only proves that UNBUFFERED ecc will work with an i7 with certain motherboards that have a certain bios, if you can get ecc for cheap then just return it if it doesn't work.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Buffered memory is registered memory.

In the video that @Gazereths posted it only proves that UNBUFFERED ecc will work with an i7 with certain motherboards that have a certain bios, if you can get ecc for cheap then just return it if it doesn't work.

but the ram that @Gazereths stuck into his P6T is ECC Registered memory and since its registered that means its also buffered right? @SLAYR

Here is the RAM part # he used in his P6T: KTD-PE3138/4G

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

From what little I have read on the web  buffered and registered are not always the same thing. ECC can be registered and unbuffered and vice versa, but are commonly both. It's a bit of a minefield tbh and I don't even pretend to understand the differences.....All I want, like you @glitchmaster0001, is to get dirt cheap ram that will work with this board/cpu combo.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

i got a 2gb stick of ecc registered memory and put it in my board with an X5660. it booted up with no problems at all. im surprised. that means cheap memory works on my board. yay! 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

• 4 years later...

In case someone is interested - Asus P6X58D Premium works with these 2rx8 4gb Ecc registered sticks. It didn't work with 2rx4 though. I'm using Xeon X5670 and latest bios.

20210528_134458.jpg