Help with shopping in Amazon

Hello Ltt forum, I am going to buy a Gaming Laptop from Amazon with the shipping address belonging to a relative in the USA.

My relative has given me a window of around 18 days to get the package to their location. As a person from a country where amazon is barely used at all,

I have no idea how does buying and shipping in amazon works. When I buy the Laptop can I set a date to when the package will arrive to the location?

The only thing I can think of right now is when the date window starts, I apply for prime trial then use 1-2-day or same day shipping to get the package within

the given date window.

Really need guidance on this. Any suggestion will be welcomed :D

16 minutes ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

Hello Ltt forum, I am going to buy a Gaming Laptop from Amazon with the shipping address belonging to a relative in the USA.

My relative has given me a window of around 18 days to get the package to their location. As a person from a country where amazon is barely used at all,

I have no idea how does buying and shipping in amazon works. When I buy the Laptop can I set a date to when the package will arrive to the location?

The only thing I can think of right now is when the date window starts, I apply for prime trial then use 1-2-day or same day shipping to get the package within

the given date window.

Really need guidance on this. Any suggestion will be welcomed :D

You cannot select a date... It will come when it comes... 

3 minutes ago, Jack Dvorak said:

You cannot select a date... It will come when it comes... 

damn. Should I just buy it now and hope for the best? :(

Will my mentioned using a prime account to get fast shipping work?

Earlier you order the earlier it gets sent out. 

Why don't you tell your relatives to buy the laptop for you and then you send them a check. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Earlier you order the earlier it gets sent out. 

Why don't you tell your relatives to buy the laptop for you and then you send them a check.

My said relative is only staying in the country for that said date window.

35 minutes ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

My said relative is only staying in the country for that said date window.

So your relative doesn't even have a permanent US address. Unless they're willing to stay at "home", for their entire vacation time, just to wait for your package. It might just be left on the front door. Just ship to your place or have your relative buy from a retail store.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So your relative doesn't even have a permanent US address. Unless they're willing to stay at "home", for their entire vacation time, just to wait for your package. It might just be left on the front door. Just ship to your place or have your relative buy from a retail store.

I don't really know the specificity but my relative will be staying with a person currently living in the country, with a permanent address, in that said given date window. I can't this laptop does not ship to my country... that's why I'm sending it to my relative going to a country where it can.

2 minutes ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

I don't really know the specificity but my relative will be staying with a person currently living in the country, with a permanent address, in that said given date window. Can't this laptop does not ship to my place... that's why I'm sending it to my relative going to a country where it can.

So he's using a friend's address, that might work. So just buy it as soon as you can before his vacation ends. The only thing is both your relative and friend needs to keep a track of that shipping. Don't want it to be left on the front door.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So he's using a friend's address, that might work. So just buy it as soon as you can before his vacation ends.

The date window that my relative will be staying there is about a half a month to a month from now. Should I buy it right now?

Just now, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

The date window that my relative will be staying there is about a half a month to a month from now. Should I buy it right now?

Oh, so he's not even there yet? Buy it when he's actually there.  Who knows, might be staying at some other place?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Oh, so he's not even there yet? Buy it when he's actually there.  Who knows, might be staying at some other place?

How long does amazon ship anyway from ordering online anyway? based on that I'll try to order on a specific date to provide a buffer for when the package will arrive to when will my relative will arrive there. by the looks of the address and google street views It looks like suburban California (in case location plays a big part of the shipping time)

Just now, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

How long does amazon ship anyway from ordering online anyway? based on that I'll try to order on a specific date to provide a buffer for when the package will arrive to when will my relative will arrive there. by the looks of the address and google street views It looks like suburban California (in case location plays a big part of the shipping time)

Tho big thanks for helping me out. :)

When you are at the checkout, amazon will give you options for shipping. Those options will tell you when you expect your item to arrive and the cost. If you need fast shipping you can try prime for free. 

Bare in mind that I'm talking about products being sold by Amazon and not by a third party associated with Amazon. 

1 hour ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

A few days to a week or so, depending on how much you're paying for shipping and where it's sent out from. Items not sold by Amazon themselves, will take a lot longer.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

go to the checkout, it will give you a ETA on when you will get it.

i buy from amazon a lot. most of the time it comes on time. even when i used free shipping. you have 18 day window to get your laptop, which should be more then enough time even if you use the free shipping.

Untitled.png

10 hours ago, CBojorges said:

When you are at the checkout, amazon will give you options for shipping. Those options will tell you when you expect your item to arrive and the cost. If you need fast shipping you can try prime for free. 

Bare in mind that I'm talking about products being sold by Amazon and not by a third party associated with Amazon. 

By the looks of it this laptop isn't sold by Amazon, can you confirm it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYYDMQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER here is the link

41 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

It's with Prime, so it doesn't matter, you're good

sorry for being oblivious, but what does that mean?

14 hours ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

damn. Should I just buy it now and hope for the best? :(

Will my mentioned using a prime account to get fast shipping work?

stuff usally ships in 2-3 days, even if you order stuff from like amazon asia thing it only takes maybe 5 - 7 days to ship, 

12 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Means Amazon's guaranteeing the shipping, if you sign up for the Prime trial you're good on two day delivery

Agreed. Amazon Prime shipping and account support is great. I've always gotten stuff on time. Sign up with a student email address, even if it's an old one, and you should be able to get a free Prime account for some time.

Amazon delivery is pretty insanely fast, i've gotten free international shipping in 6 days.

Domestic delivery will definitely reach within 18 days

2 minutes ago, Lukiose said:

Amazon delivery is pretty insanely fast, i've gotten free international shipping in 6 days.

Domestic delivery will definitely reach within 18 days

Wow... shame this specific laptop can't be shipped internationally and importing anything to my country will add more than 70usd to the cost

1 minute ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

Wow... shame this specific laptop can't be shipped internationally and importing anything to my country will add more than 70usd to the cost

I live in Singapore so i can get free Amazon global shipping if my cart is above 125USD with the appropriate items lol

You should be fine with any delivery to your relative's place - as for shipping to the Philippines, do you have any forwarding services available?

i.e for us: ComGateWay, vPost, Borderlinx, 65daigou(ezbuy) can all forward parcels from the USA to us at a fee

Just now, Lukiose said:

I live in Singapore so i can get free Amazon global shipping if my cart is above 125USD with the appropriate items lol

You should be fine with any delivery to your relative's place - as for shipping to the Philippines, do you have any forwarding services available?

i.e for us: ComGateWay, vPost, Borderlinx, 65daigou(ezbuy) can all forward parcels from the USA to us at a fee

Yeah we have a some of those services, was considering it at one point until my relative mentioned going to the USA. Feels more safer with a person you know than a forwarding service y' know, and hella lot cheaper :D 

4 minutes ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

Yeah we have a some of those services, was considering it at one point until my relative mentioned going to the USA. Feels more safer with a person you know than a forwarding service y' know, and hella lot cheaper :D 

Tell your relatives to remove all packaging from the laptop in order to make it look used when they return from abroad. Not sure about the Philippines but Singapore charges a 7% goods and service tax for any singular imported item (even when hand-carried) valued above 400SGD, if it's just a laptop they 'brought overseas' then no problems with that 9_9