Ethernet though coaxial cable

SteinerW

What I want is gigabit Ethernet through the cable running to my room. Does anybody know how well these work? The cable for my room isn't hooked up to anything, and I can easily run it to my modem.

And before anybody suggests, no, I can't move my modem. It's a modem, router, and wireless AP combo from our ISP (and actually a good one, retails for about 500 dollars) but my parent want good 5g wireless on the bottom floor, so that's where it's staying.

What I really want to know though is how well these things usually work, and how much I need to spend for a good pair. I want to try and stay under 200 US dollars, but I can spend up to 275ish if it's really worth it. I need it to be gigabit because I have a NAS in my basement.

4 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

What I want is gigabit Ethernet through the cable running to my room. Does anybody know how well these work? The cable for my room isn't hooked up to anything, and I can easily run it to my modem.

And before anybody suggests, no, I can't move my modem. It's a modem, router, and wireless AP combo from our ISP (and actually a good one, retails for about 500 dollars) but my parent want good 5g wireless on the bottom floor, so that's where it's staying.

What I really want to know though is how well these things usually work, and how much I need to spend for a good pair. I want to try and stay under 200 US dollars, but I can spend up to 275ish if it's really worth it. I need it to be gigabit because I have a NAS in my basement.

Moca would usually be somewhere in between a wired ethernet connection and a powerline option, usually you can get pretty good speeds on it but for that cost going through the effort and running cable would still be cheaper to a degree. 

4 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

Coax cable? Why not just lay a Cat 6 cable to your modem?

Its like, $0.17/feet or something.

4 hours ago, W-L said:

Moca would usually be somewhere in between a wired ethernet connection and a powerline option, usually you can get pretty good speeds on it but for that cost going through the effort and running cable would still be cheaper to a degree. 

4 hours ago, tv15dsi said:

Currently I have a cable running up my stairs. not a fan. Can't run it through my walls without actually cutting out sections of the wall. the cable is already in place.

Just now, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

Currently I have a cable running up my stairs. not a fan. Can't run it through my walls without actually cutting out sections of the wall. the cable is already in place.

Well, I thought you ment Coax for real, not Cat 6 copper cable :Þ

Powerline isn't the best solutions but it exists, it'll transfer your internet through your power grid, its not the full gigabit but it works.
Very good Wireless AP's and configuring one to convert wired to wireless and one from wireless to wired would be possible aswell, Keep in mind that AC wireless is recommended for decent speeds.

4 hours ago, tv15dsi said:

Well, I thought you ment Coax for real, not Cat 6 copper cable :Þ

Powerline isn't the best solutions but it exists, it'll transfer your internet through your power grid, its not the full gigabit but it works.
Very good Wireless AP's and configuring one to convert wired to wireless and one from wireless to wired would be possible aswell, Keep in mind that AC wireless is recommended for decent speeds.

I ment I have a cat5 cable running up my stairs. the coax cable runs through my walls. From what I see, coax cables can carry gigabit Ethernet whith the right adapters. I just want to know the reliability of it.

17 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

+ wiring kit (40$) + holes in the wall

and you gotta buy in bulks

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 hour ago, W-L said:

To further add to @W-L MOCA is half duplex like wireless, it communicates one direction at a time. MOCA 2.0 is rated for 800Mbps, however being half duplex you will realistically see about 400 Mbps. If this MOCA network operates on the same Coax as you cable service then you need to add a MOCA filter to your main line coming in. On top of making sure that you have MOCA compatible spliters. MOCA 2.0 Adapters run about $160 USD per pair. Its not cheap. The filters are about $8 USD and Spliters range but they aint too expensive. End to end a MOCA network should not exceed 300 ft. 

On the DL, I did research on MOCA because I was considering the tech. However I ended up with the modem and router in my room. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

To further add to @W-L MOCA is half duplex like wireless, it communicates one direction at a time. MOCA 2.0 is rated for 800Mbps, however being half duplex you will realistically see about 400 Mbps. If this MOCA network operates on the same Coax as you cable service then you need to add a MOCA filter to your main line coming in. On top of making sure that you have MOCA compatible spliters. MOCA 2.0 Adapters run about $160 USD per pair. Its not cheap. The filters are about $8 USD and Spliters range but they aint too expensive. End to end a MOCA network should not exceed 300 ft. 

On the DL, I did research on MOCA because I was considering the tech. However I ended up with the modem and router in my room. 

The only reason I want near gigabit speed would be file transfer. That would be 800 mbps because it's one way right? I know it's not cheap. There isn't going to be any spliters and there is no service on the line. I would have the MOCA adapters at both ends. My internet comes through coaxial anyways (300 down, but only like 15 up) so it won't hurt my internet speed.

10 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

The only reason I want near gigabit speed would be file transfer. That would be 800 mbps because it's one way right? I know it's not cheap. There isn't going to be any spliters and there is no service on the line. I would have the MOCA adapters at both ends. My internet comes through coaxial anyways (300 down, but only like 15 up) so it won't hurt my internet speed.

No is 400 Mbps each way. 

Only way to get Gigabit speeds is Ethernet.  

I'd take a look at powerline. Not the best speeds but it serves its purpose. As long as you are beating the 15Mb/s up then anything after that is just pointless.

13 minutes ago, redanalog said:

I'd take a look at powerline. Not the best speeds but it serves its purpose. As long as you are beating the 15Mb/s up then anything after that is just pointless.

MOCA is a better standard though. Keep in mind, electrical cables are not properly shielded like data cables are. Coax is a data cable and have good shielding. Power line adapters are prone to interference.  There is less likely to have interference on a coax cable. 

6 hours ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

Mu uncle had 4 cat5e lines run to seperate bedrooms in his house for $600. I would say call your local low voltage installer and just get a quote. A lot of times just paying for a cable to be proffessionally run is cheaper than any other solution.

My native language is C++

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

MOCA is a better standard though. Keep in mind, electrical cables are not properly shielded like data cables are. Coax is a data cable and have good shielding. Power line adapters are prone to interference.  There is less likely to have interference on a coax cable. 

Aw I know bud, but I just don't see the point in splashing out to minimise interference on that speed. Like buying a Ferrari to only drive inside city limits

7 hours ago, redanalog said:

Aw I know bud, but I just don't see the point in splashing out to minimise interference on that speed. Like buying a Ferrari to only drive inside city limits

The point I was making is in some cases Powerline is unusable because the wiring in some homes is so bad that it just doesnt work. Moca doesnt really have the same limitations. As the OP stated, he is going to be doing file transfers across his network with his NAS. The fact is Moca can gaurentee faster speeds while Powerline can not. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The point I was making is in some cases Powerline is unusable because the wiring in some homes is so bad that it just doesnt work. Moca doesnt really have the same limitations. As the OP stated, he is going to be doing file transfers across his network with his NAS. The fact is Moca can gaurentee faster speeds while Powerline can not. 

Ah, I had forgotten about the NAS.
Makes much more sense.

My apologies, I will need to learn how to read.