Why are Macs preferred over PCs?

ClobberXD

They are more expensive than the Sun, and a PC of the same cost (if built sensibly...) can beat the shit of Apple computers. Yet people prefer Macs for specific reasons - what are the reasons, and why so?

Nothing to see here ;)

Just now, Anand_Geforce said:

They are more expensive than the Sun, and a PC of the same cost (if built sensibly...) can beat the shit of Apple computers. Yet people prefer Macs for specific reasons - what are the reasons, and why so?

Because people are sometimes cultured by them and think anything else is relatively crap as the do not listen to other people's opinions. Mind you the do have pretty good design and build quality that is really the only good point about them.

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

3 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

theyre better at some things. beyond that, some people value aesthetics higher than performance. ive had an 11" macbook air and it was a great product, tiny and light with decent ish hardware and a fantastic battery life. was hard to beat in a windows machine

Just now, Mattboxer2000 said:

Because people are sometimes cultured by them and think anything else is relatively crap as the do not listen to other people's opinions. Mind you the do have pretty good design and build quality that is really the only good point about them.

Yeah... They do sing praises about "build quality", but don't X99 mobos, LGA 2011-v3 Workstation CPUs, Quadro/Firepro GPUs, Corsair AX-series PSU, etc. have a build quality a billion times better?! (I'm confused... :))

Nothing to see here ;)

Macs are simple and easy to use, theres no bullsh*t that you have to deal with when building a computer, just buy one, plug in the peripherals and go.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

Aesthetics mainly and the fact that they are different. The OS, the look of the machine, the feel. It sort of feels a bit... "premium" if I can call it that. Or special might be the right word.

I've used a 5k PC and hasn't felt as special as a 1.5k iMac, even though it beat the sh*t out of it on every task. But if you had to chose then yes PC anyday.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

1 minute ago, LordLeewee said:

theyre better at some things. beyond that, some people value aesthetics higher than performance. ive had an 11" macbook air and it was a great product, tiny and light with decent ish hardware and a fantastic battery life. was hard to beat in a windows machine

Aesthetics, more than permanently thermal-throttling?!

Nothing to see here ;)

pretty much exactly yes, you wont get thermal throttling using office, safari, imessage, itunes and mail. 

9 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

Most of my friends that have Macs perfer them for their reliability and stability, but envy the large amounts of games on the PC.

8 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

OSX is a great OS

The 13 and 15" retina macbooks are very well priced, very good performing machines with like best in class battery life, amazing displays, aluminium chassis, the best glass trackpad in the world, insanely fast pci-e SSDs and are just all round fantastic machines, and are reasonably priced too

Apple support is also great

iMacs are expensive but still very good machines, with decent performance and the aestheics are wort money to people

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, refinedskillz said:

Macs are simple and easy to use, theres no bullsh*t that you have to deal with when building a computer, just buy one, plug in the peripherals and go.

True! But what about value for money? As I mentioned earlier, for the price of a supposedly lower-end Mac, you can have all of the following:

• i7 6700K
  • ASUS Maximus VIII Formula
  • Intel 750-Series 480GB NVMe PCIe SSD
  • NVIDIA GTX 1080 Founder's Edition

Nothing to see here ;)

True! But what about value for money? As I mentioned earlier, for the price of a supposedly lower-end Mac, you can have all of the following:

• i7 6700K

I know, but the point is that people dont think about that.

3 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

They get the user’s work done elegantly and efficiently

Can you give me an example? Thanks.

Nothing to see here ;)

1 minute ago, Anand_Geforce said:

• i7 6700K

which is great if your only priority is gaming performance. 

1 minute ago, Anand_Geforce said:

• i7 6700K

Yeah but still, that's very subjective. Some people just prefer the simplicity that comes with Macs. True they could have something better, more powerful for the same price but don't choose to becuase support for Macs are great and either way don't require much maintenance.

my macbook with an old i5, hd4000 igpu and 4gb ram performed brilliantly. i never sat there thinking "i wish this had a 6700k and a 1080" 

8 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

The vast majority of people who buy and use Macs don't know what thermal throttling even is.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

19 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

which is great if your only priority is gaming performance. 

Exactly! So please tell me what the Mac is used for... :)

Nothing to see here ;)

17 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

better integration and tools for creative professionals and enthusiasts,

Like?

Nothing to see here ;)

Technically Macs are PC's and arguably their stuff is priced fairly competitively. Though for the price of the 15" MacBook Pro with dGPU, I could buy something from Asus with like a GTX 965 for a little less and would have a lot more power behind it than a MBP but that does come at the cost of battery life and portability.

For some people it's a similar reason they buy an iPhone. Hell it might be even the reason they bought an iPhone.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I remember that there was a video on a 10,000$ mac vs a 10,000$ PC, the PC absolutley smashed it in all benchmarks. AND had better gaming performance. This was focused on video editing tho.

33 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

Everything else

Office work

Design

Photo/Video editing

Browsing

my brothers 2008 15" pro is still great for editing photos, and he does light CAD work for Jaguar on it when not using his workstation stuff

You have to understand something

Price to performance doesn't matter to some users, sometimes its not even a consideration of the machine,

I mean if somebody was like "ok I get better batter life and it looks nicer but twice the price.. cool i will buy it"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think it's hard to generalize - many people may or may not prefer a Mac over a PC because of different reasons. Programmers may prefer a Unix-Based system such as MacOS or just code on Windows. Editors may prefer the horsepower PCs offer over Macs or use Macs because stuff like FinalCut is extremely well optimized for the devices they run on. Gaming performance is out of the question - but as someone that has used a Mac I can say that while I appreciated the clean and simplistic asthetics of MacOS I kinda missed the 'complicated' Windows stuff. But I dunno. Maybe I'm just so used to Windows that adapting to another OS just isn't something I want to do ^^

Hail Hydra #shieldcomegetme #9minutes

48 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

Some audio interface with Thunderbort connectivity only supports Mac OS X (e.g Focusrite Red 4Pre)

People who use them will buy a Mac

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

1 hour ago, refinedskillz said:

when building a computer that you're planning to run mac on is more "bullshit" to deal with due to hardware compatibility with mac os.

windows doesn't have this problem. Also you can plug peripherals inti any computer be it pc, mac ir a linux box and go.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´