Should I Get Windows 8.1

Hey guys,

I recently started playing the Battlefield 4 Beta. I have a pretty beastly system and it doesn't run very well. I am looking into Windows 8.1 for a performance increase. I am used to Windows 7. I am wondering what version of 8.1 I should get. I also have a 1T HDD I have been using as my OS drive. I have a 15K RPM SAS Drive I use for recording high FPS videos to. Should I use that drive for my OS drive? Would I see that much of an increase in speed? Is installing games on a faster HDD make the game run any faster? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

-Alec

You'll probably only see an increase in boot time on the 1TB. I dunno if you can install onto the SAS drive or not?

Performance in games and HDD speeds are negligible in changing OS except for booting up.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I have heard that BF4 does run much better on W8.. And get an SSD.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

I have heard that BF4 does run much better on W8.. And get an SSD.

Why would you recommend getting an SSD?

Are you using Nvida cards? Because AMD payed 8.4 Million $ so that they make bad patches for Nvida.

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Why would you recommend getting an SSD?

speed is greatly increased

speed is greatly increased

Thats true but he is talking fps and not loading times. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Are you using Nvida cards? Because AMD payed 8.4 Million $ so that they make bad patches for Nvida.

There is nothing wrong with the Nvidia cards running BF4 Beta. Everyone is having some issues. Personally I am running a 660Ti on W8 using the latest Beta Drivers and I am getting good frame rates. Not as good as BF3 but thats to be expected from a newer and less optimised game in Beta.

There is nothing wrong with the Nvidia cards running BF4 Beta. Everyone is having some issues. Personally I am running a 660Ti on W8 using the latest Beta Drivers and I am getting good frame rates. Not as good as BF3 but thats to be expected from a newer and less optimised game in Beta.

Dude it's true 1. Do your research xD 2. Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN3UhHQAxqI .

Wait for better drivers. Or upgrade your GPU.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I have the latest beta drivers and I have a 690 so I'm not looking to upgrade in that sense. So if I switch my OS to my from my 1T 7200 RPM SATA Drive to my 15k RPM SAS 600GB Drive, will I see that much of an improvement in speed? I dont see the sense in getting an SSD when I have a 15K RPM Drive. Are you able to put an operating system on a SAS drive?

Dude it's true 1. Do your research xD 2. Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN3UhHQAxqI .

It's not true, I don't need to do any further research. Yes AMD spent money on the BF4 deal. And it probably means they have been working on their drivers slightly longer then Nvidia. But to say that Dice are deliberately making the game run badly on Nvidia cards is rubbish.

Any FPS issues can and have been solved for people on both teams by upgrading to beta drivers and going to W8. Proof in the link below. No need for conspiracy theories. Everyone I have seen with major issues has not been on W8.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065670092769249/

Also what version of Windows 8 should I buy? Is the pro worth the extra $80?

Also what version of Windows 8.1 should I buy?

Which version of W7 do you use? If its Pro or Ultimate and you use the extra features then get Pro if not get the basic one.

Isn't a free upgrade/service pack from windows 8 (standard/pro)?

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

It's not true, I don't need to do any further research. Yes AMD spent money on the BF4 deal. And it probably means they have been working on their drivers slightly longer then Nvidia. But to say that Dice are deliberately making the game run badly on Nvidia cards is rubbish.

Any FPS issues can and have been solved for people on both teams by upgrading to beta drivers and going to W8. Proof in the link below. No need for conspiracy theories. Everyone I have seen with major issues has not been on W8.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065670092769249/

Bad in contrast not just bad.

Well I have Windows 7 Home Premium. So should I just get regular?

Also what version of Windows 8 should I buy? Is the pro worth the extra $80?

Windows 8 Pro give you:

-> Hyper-V (A VM environment)

-> Remote Desktop Host (be able to connect to)

-> Get Media Center + DVD codec pack for it, for only 10$ (it has been removed in Windows 8 to drop the cost of the OS. It's still much cheaper than buying a DVD codec with a third party).

-> Boot from VHD

-> Group Policy

Personally I have the 8 Pro, as I use Remote Desktop, Hyper-V for testing my software under different version of Windows, and DVD codec. I prefer to use Media Center to play my DVD then the shitty players by third party which installs 20 DRM programs at startup and services, let alone a single one, and using VLC is meh in my personal opinion.

Okay I think I'll just get regular.  Will I have any problems putting the OS onto my SAS Drive?

Okay I think I'll just get regular.  Will I have any problems putting the OS onto my SAS Drive?

As long as you have the SAS controller Windows 8 drivers in an extracted form (aka: *.inf) on a USB key or disk to load it up in the setup when you come to the screen to select which drive/partition you want Windows 8 to be installed. No problem.

As long as you have the SAS controller Windows 8 drivers in an extracted form (aka: *.inf) on a USB key or disk to load it up in the setup when you come to the screen to select which drive/partition you want Windows 8 to be installed. No problem.

Could you explain that further? I can't just boot from the CD and follow the steps?

Wait till full release. Then see if any performance difference. This build is a few months old from what I have found out. So will be pretty different performance in the live game.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

Wait till full release. Then see if any performance difference. This build is a few months old from what I have found out. So will be pretty different performance in the live game.

Very true. Plus, you have all the debug stuff left over, so performance is reduced because of it.

Could you explain that further? I can't just boot from the CD and follow the steps?

Windows might, not have your SAS controller drivers. It does for most SATA controllers, but as it's not a server version of Windows, it might not have them on the disk.

You'll know when you get to this screen:

windows-8-partition-selection.png

If Windows 8 doesn't support your SAS controller your HDD will simply not be found, on rare occasion, Windows will detect your drive, but the entire setup will be corrupted in some fashion, and end up with a broken Windows at the end. But this is rare, it's usually Windows setup (no mater the version of Windows), miss detected your SATA or SAS controller, and loaded up the wrong driver. But again, very rare, it's less true now, than back in Vista days, due to improvement of SATA/SAS controllers, drivers, and well Windows setup.

When you get to the above screen, and your HDD is not being detected, click on "Load Driver" button/link, and then insert your disk (you can swamp Windows disk with your disk where you have the drivers) or USB drive, which has the SAS drivers on it. The drivers MUST be extracted, as Windows cannot execute ".exe" files.. as well.. Windows is not installed, let alone the fact that the driver won't know where to install itself, as no Windows is there.. you just has this setup loaded on your RAM :)