trying to quiet down my pc fans.

rainbrodash666

in my pc case Xion classic series red led, I have two noisy 120mm fans for exhaust, 1 top, 1 back and I was wondering if since I have a Hyper 212+ (pointed towards top exhaust) can I take the exhaust fans out and just have the cpu fan blow the air out the empty fan holes?

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

Try to have at least one exhaust. But yes you could just do away with case fans if you're fine with a warmer case temperature.

Find out which fan is the loud one and throw it in the closet. I'm betting it is the one on top.

Try to have at least one exhaust. But yes you could just do away with case fans if you're fine with a warmer case temperature.

Find out which fan is the loud one and throw it in the closet. I'm betting it is the one on top.

they are all pretty loud because my motherboard has no 3pin fan control, but the ludest one is the rear exhaust, it was the stock front fan that came with the case, my top fan is a coolermaster R4 sickleflow fan, and my front fan is a enermax tb vegas duo on the lowest speed setting.
Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

I removed my top fan, which was exhaust, now I have only one exhaust at the rear, makes my pc in more of a wind tunnel form

Buy 2 x 120mm silence optimised fans. Problem solved.

If you are removing only and not replacing then triple check your temps and make sure your not cooking anything!

my cpu runs at like 13deg c idle and no more than 30deg c prime load, I am fairly sure I could run it passivise If I wanted.

Spoiler

What cpu is that

Is your home that cold?

I ran my cpu idle at 18 c

If your motherboard supports it, try setting up a silent fan configuration unless they are plugged in mulex. I have 2 120mm fans 4 200mm fans and I barley hear anything. (The 200mm fans dont make noise, unless you put your ear up to it)

Intel i7-3820

Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1866

GTX 680

Dont get rid of both of your exhaust fans,keep at least one of them to pull the warm air out. If both of these fans are the loudest of your system fans then i would change them out for a quite series of fan, Corsairs are good and also Noctua are very good to, depends on if you have some spare cash.

Asus Maximus VI Hero , i5 4670k , 8gb Corsair vengeance ddr3, Asus HD 7970 matrix platinum, Corsair AX860, Ocz agility 3 120gb ssd, 1tb wd green hdd, custom water loop. All in an Antec p280

Go full noctua, that's my plan!

the whole thing is I don't want to spend any money bcause my computer runs really really cool, it is a AMD phenom 9550 quad core oc'd to 2.6ghz and my HD6850, and I am soon getting a 990fxa-ud3 and FX6300 or FX4300,

Spoiler

I would want at least one exhaust and one intake in your computer so you can have good airflow in your case.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

just spend the money for a new case like the 550d and get it when you planing to upgrade problem solved

just spend the money for a new case like the 550d and get it when you planing to upgrade problem solved
nope, not moving to another case, I found one that I like the looks of and have now put $200 into modifications that include making it more rigid, a window, re doing the finish and other things like that..
Spoiler

Still have at least one exhaust fan but change it to a quiet fan ( you will find the money if it is annoying enough). Quiet converters are available and it wouldn't take 'the brains of an archbishop' (Why do we say that, are archbishops thought to be cleverer than normal?) to change it to Molex (it is only a resistor in line with the connectors).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Pull just the top fan and see if that is the culprit. Sleeve bearing fans wear out faster when mounted horizontally which is why most PSU fans are ball bearing. If you do replace it, switch it to something with ball bearings like the Scythe GT.