How much video ram or graphics memory is required for gaming at 1080 p @ 60hz

Cankur.007

Ok so here is a question that has been cramping for a long time .recentlt my buddy who does not know much about gaming asked me to build a rig for him as he is new to pc gaming and he has a growing interest on it now a days .but he had already a display( 1080 p @ 60hz ) from the old monitor and which we wanted to make the rig for so my question is that how much v ram do we need to play games in 1080 p @60 Hz for also our budget fits a range of graphics card but I also have a question here popular video cards like 900 &1000 series n vedia GPU are not actually made by n vedia they are made by third party companies like MSI Asus gigabyte etc so a same graphical card from all the companies will give a same performance ?

Just now, Cankur.007 said:

Ok so here is a question that has been cramping for a long time .recentlt my buddy who does not know much about gaming asked me to build a rig for him as he is new to pc gaming and he has a growing interest on it now a days .but he had already a display( 1080 p @ 60hz ) from the old monitor and which we wanted to make the rig for so my question is that how much v ram do we need to play games in 1080 p @60 Hz for also our budget fits a range of graphics card but I also have a question here popular video cards like 900 &1000 series n vedia GPU are not actually made by n vedia they are made by third party companies like MSI Asus gigabyte etc so a same graphical card from all the companies will give a same performance ?

Usually 2-4GB works, 4GB is preferable.

depends on what games you want to run, but 2-4GB is good enough for most games at the moment.

I would recommend a GTX1060 or RX480 for 1080p gaming at the moment. 1070 if you can afford it but not necessary.

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, Cankur.007 said:

atleast 4 gb

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

2gb, depending on what you're playing of course. Generally aftermarket company cards provide better performance in general over the nvida stock ones. If he's planning on playing games like ROTR you need about 6gb of vram just to play that game at 1080p on very high settings.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

What is your budget?

1 minute ago, Cankur.007 said:

GPU are not actually made by n vedia they are made by third party companies like MSI Asus gigabyte etc so a same graphical card from all the companies will give a same performance ?

They use the same chip and will preform the same(except for the ones that are factory overclocked.

It would be safe to go with 4GB  because MOST games use up to 2GB and you would want some head room to prevent any capping.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

A 4gb gt 630

Unrelated, but did someone legit make a 4GB GT630?

Just now, waynedud3 said:

Unrelated, but did someone legit make a 4GB GT630?

not sure, but i have a 2gb gt 630

Ok let me help u narrow things down 

4gb Gfx 970 or 2gb MSI gfx 960 white tiger edition 

I will not be playing games like shadow of moddr or batman nor witcher3 

Yes but I will be playing gta 5 

I.mentioned three of the names cos I herd that they consume insane about of v ram 

Obviously I will be playing games like cod infinite warfare or far cry 4 in high settings 

If u want to know more just mention the games name I will tell u that weather I will be playing them or not

5 minutes ago, waynedud3 said:

brain.exe has stopped responding.

Yea one of my friend has it. He went to best buy for a gaming gpu and they gave him that 

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

Just now, FanBlade said:

Yea one of my friend has it. He went to best buy for a gaming gpu and they gave him that 

That's what best buy will do to ya!

If you can , wait for a while and buy one RX480 or GTX1060.

Do not buy that 970/960 , especially it is a nvidia card.

It will become a underperformer soon. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I've got a GTX 970 and we all know about the VRAM on the 970 but it runs nearly all modern games fine at 1080p, most games i can upscale to 1440p if i have extra FPS to spare so just to be certain and if you're budget fits for it then i would definitely recommend a 4GB card, textures are just getting more and more VRAM hungry these days so it's wise to go over than under.

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

2-4Gb BUT DO NOT BASE CARD ON VRAM

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Dont buy just based from vram. A 4gb gt 630 is much slower than a 1gb 7870.

While vram amount isn't really relevant but kind of relevant at the same time....  These days... probably stick with a 4gb card.  That's not because it has 4gb, but because it has a processor powerful enough to actually use the 4gb when required.  Many games will use more vram if you have more.  But if you put 16gb of vram on a GTX 560ti, it will still only perform as good as a 560ti.  

If the options are, as you detailed, a 4gb 970 vs a 2gb 960.... obviously the 4gb 970.  You may have some disappointment with the 2GB 960.