Can the CPU (6700K) move while its in the socket?

I know the latch puts an immense amount if pressure on the CPU, basically holding it in place. So, personally, I think it can't. 

On the other hand, my sister refuses to let me upgrade her CPU cooler for fear of the new cooler pressing too hard down on the CPU, therefore, according to her, bending the pins. I don't get it, her CPU cooler is already a tiny little but loose, it wiggles around a few mm in each direction, but it cools well for now. I've already wiggled the CPU cooler without issue while the PC was on, no issues. Can everyone here confirm just so she doesn't think I'm lying.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Every CPU Cooler should wiggle around a few mm. It's just the way they're built, and the thermal paste below them acts as a friction reducer/oily substance. If a LGA type CPU is in a socket, and has been latched properly (Not really a way to screw that up) it will NOT bend the pins.

TL;DR It will not bend the pins, he is not lying.

All coolers put around 50 lbs of force on the cpu, so it will NOT damage it.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Merged two posts together.

Just now, waynedud3 said:

Every CPU Cooler should wiggle around a few mm. It's just the way they're built, and the thermal paste below them acts as a friction reducer/oily substance.

Errr? No they shouldn't. If they are wiggling they aren't secured down tight enough. 

But to answer your question, no you can't damage your CPU unless you do something stupid like take a hammer to it during the installation of a new cooler, and no, the CPU won't move in the socket unless again you take a hammer to it. In short, don't take a hammer to your computer and you will be fine. 

The CPU will not move within the socket. I have confirmed this with my own experience - I have put my finger on the CPU and detected no visible movement with the lever completely down.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, KE2012 said:

Errr? No they shouldn't. If they are wiggling they aren't secured down tight enough. 

But to answer your question, no you can't damage your CPU unless you do something stupid like take a hammer to it during the installation of a new cooler, and no, the CPU won't move in the socket unless again you take a hammer to it. In short, don't take a hammer to your computer and you will be fine. 

Well, my Noctua NH-U12S does wriggle a little on my 6700K, but temps are amazing. The U12S also has spring screws, so pressure should be at a minimal ammount.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Just now, KE2012 said:

I mean wiggling around a few MM in each direction. For instance, take Arctic Silver 5. If you mounted a CPU cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo on it and tried t wiggle it around or turn it, it would be able to move a few MM in each direction. If you remove the thermal paste and try the same thing, it will have much more trouble because the paste is not there to reduce the friction of the CPU heat spreader and the heatsink contact point.

Tell your sister there's absolutely nothing to worry about. Just make sure you screw in the new cooler with a star pattern and nothing tighter than finger strength :) It will NOT bend the pins on the mobo or the CPU (not really pins)

I'm a person, you're a person...Together, we are people.

Bob Ross is the greatest painter ever! Happy trees!

Specs:

Spoiler

Processor: i7 4790k @4.7ghz
Game destroyer: Msi GTX 970 4GD5 OC (Soon to be a 1080 or Titan)
Mobo: MSI Z97I AC mini ITX motherboard 
Fridge: NZXT Kraken X31 120mm liquid cooler
Lambo: Samsung 850 EVO 120gb SSD
Honda Civic: Random Toshiba 2TB 7200rpm HDD
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 g2 (Currently out for RMA)
Case: NZXT S340 Midtower PC case

It can't damage the pins but having the cooler on too tight can damage the mobo, if it wiggles a lot it's too loose.

Just now, Noirgheos said:

Well, my Noctua NH-U12S does wriggle a little on my 6700K, but temps are amazing. The U12S also has spring screws, so pressure should be at a minimal ammount.

Hmm. No cooler I've ever had has wiggled when secured to the mobo. And if its wiggling you probably introduce the risk of getting an air pocket. To be honest though if its only a tiny bit of wiggle you are probably fine. 

Only time I have ever had a CPU cooler cause damage was the Socket A AMD coolers that needed a big flat bladed screwdriver to fit them. Slip, crunch, ahh crap.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The CPU will not move within the socket. I have confirmed this with my own experience - I have put my finger on the CPU and detected no visible movement with the lever completely down.

So, let's say that the "secured cooler" works well, but is still wriggly, like mine, just a few mm in almost every direction. Cooling performance may be affected by this, but there is no way possible that the CPU can be damaged? I wonder if AIOs have this... 

I mean wiggling around a few MM in each direction. For instance, take Arctic Silver 5. If you mounted a CPU cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo on it and tried t wiggle it around or turn it, it would be able to move a few MM in each direction. If you remove the thermal paste and try the same thing, it will have much more trouble because the paste is not there to reduce the friction of the CPU heat spreader and the heatsink contact point.

My NH-U12S in her build is secured with 2 screws, so...

You mean during the installation? If so then yeah obviously but surely when its 'on' it should be solid? No cooler I've had has moved once installed. 

1 minute ago, Arc_Jester said:

It can't damage the pins but having the cooler on too tight can damage the mobo, if it wiggles a lot it's too loose.

Just now, KE2012 said:

Hmm. No cooler I've ever had has wiggled when secured to the mobo. And if its wiggling you probably introduce the risk of getting an air pocket. To be honest though if its only a tiny bit of wiggle you are probably fine. 

The U12S is secured by two screws horizontally aligned. So wiggling does make sense?

So, let's say that the "secured cooler" works well, but is still wriggly, like mine, just a few mm in almost every direction. Cooling performance may be affected by this, but there is no way possible that the CPU can be damaged? I wonder if AIOs have this...

The CPU is locked into place. The CPU can technically be damaged, but not in the average use case. One scenario where the CPU can be damaged from the cooler is in a situation where the cooler is directly mounted onto the CPU die. But that's not happening. AIOs do not necessarily have movement because of the way they are built and set up - like mine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The U12S is secured by two screws horizontally aligned. So wiggling does make sense?

Well if you're missing two screws then yeah, I can see why you might have wiggle.

2 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

By "wiggle" I mean around 1-2MM in each direction, when fully tightened down on a socket 1366 Motherboard.

3 minutes ago, waynedud3 said:

Few mm in each direction? Holy Christ!

Are you sure it is the right socket? :D

It should barely move, sure there is small wiggle but should be nothing more than 0.05mm. It should just fit.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The CPU is locked into place. The CPU can technically be damaged, but not in the average use case. One scenario where the CPU can be damaged from the cooler is in a situation where the cooler is directly mounted onto the CPU die. But that's not happening. AIOs do not necessarily have movement because of the way they are built and set up - like mine.

2 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

Well if you're missing two screws then yeah, I can see why you might have wiggle.

Well there are only two screws, that's how it is.

And I may also get a H80i GT now. Looks cooler, don't mind the noise. Plus if I remember correctly, AIOs use four screws in criss cross, evenly spreading pressure, so EVEN IF new CPUs could be damaged when installing the cooler, it shouldn't. Am I correct?

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Few mm in each direction? Holy Christ!

Are you sure it is the right socket? :D

It should barely move, sure there is small wiggle but should be nothing more than 0.05mm. It should just fit.

That and while for some mounting mechanisms it might still happen that you can move the cooler around by hand with some force required this should not be a wiggle that can be caused by moving the motherboard around.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

Just now, intelCore said:

That and while for some mounting mechanisms it might still happen that you can move the cooler around by hand with some force required this should not be a wiggle that can be caused by moving the motherboard around.

Yea. I know some mounting mechanisms of coolers may be finicky but once the cooler is well secured it shouldn't move unless you are trying to be Hulk.

Well there are only two screws, that's how it is.

And I may also get a H80i GT now. Looks cooler, don't mind the noise. Plus if I remember correctly, AIOs use four screws in criss cross, evenly spreading pressure, so EVEN IF new CPUs could be damaged when installing the cooler, it shouldn't. Am I correct?

Yes. Don't worry about damaging the CPU, as ive said earlier it's hard to do, something that would require a hammer or excessive force. As for a H80I GT yeah it has 4 screws (as should your current cooler). One thing I will say is if you haven't changed a cooler before a AIO can be trickier as you have a radiator tethered to the end of the block, so if I was you I would secure the rad first to stop it moving about and then get the block installed.  

2 minutes ago, intelCore said:

You're right. I'm moving the case around and the cooler does not wiggle, but applying a small amount of force with my hand does move it the tiniest bit.

8 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

I mean, criss cross mounting with AIOs should be much better right, since they use four screws?

Just now, KE2012 said:

Yes. Don't worry about damaging the CPU, as ive said earlier it's hard to do, something that would require a hammer or excessive force. As for a H80I GT yeah it has 4 screws (as should your current cooler). One thing I will say is if you haven't changed a cooler before a AIO can be trickier as you have a radiator tethered to the end of the block, so if I was you I would secure the rad first to stop it moving about and then get the block installed.  

Will do. Look up the U12S, the mounting system uses two screws for the heatsink. 

Need to find a decent deal on a H80i GT now.

Just now, WereCat said:

Yea. I know some mounting mechanisms of coolers may be finicky but once the cooler is well secured it shouldn't move unless you are trying to be Hulk.

Some mechanisms just allow turning the cooler by 1° or 2° around their own axis from top view but anything that goes from it being able to tilt or lift of is not supposed to happen. Also you should need a bit of force to turn it those 1-2°.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit