Q6600 cpu and Windows8 = slow responsiveness?

Hi all.

Im using an old Q6600 cpu (and NVidia GT 430) as a HTPC at the moment.  It has 4 gig of ram(ddr2).  A regular 7200 500gb HDD in there too.  I was using Win7 and things were fine... and recently took the plunge into Win8.

All my software works just fine in Win8, its just seems to halt sometimes when I ask it to do things.  For example... I'm playing a video and after a while I pause it(EVERYTHINGS FINE INSIDE MY PROGRAM).  Then I do the old trusty ALT+CTRL+DEL so bring up the Task Manager just out of curiosity to see info there.  It takes a long time to bring up the Task Manager like theres something holding it back.  I cant figure it out for the life of me.  Even if I close my media player and move the mouse around..etc.. it still doesn't pop up.  I wait longer still and after maybe 5 minutes it finally shows like there's nothing wrong.

I've checked to see programs running / services/ etc that may be causing conflicts, but have not yet seen anything remotely that might cause this unresponsiveness.  Win7 had no issue at all... which makes me think its something to do with Win8, or drivers for win 8.  Its a 5 year old mobo so there are no real WIN8 drivers (just win7), and ive already encountered one annoying bug to do with the USB wake-up feature (only sometimes) not working.  So there is no chance of getting any better drivers ever.

This lack of responsiveness is driving me up the wall.. cant quite figure it out.  Id rather stay with Win8 if possible... I cant imagine there's a hardware fault going on..it sounds software based. 

Does anyone have this kind of issue with Windows8?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I have a core2duo e7500 and i am still very hesitant to plunge into windows 8 even though it is said to be optimized even for older system such as ours.

wait for windows 8.1 update and see if it solves your problem . The best thing to do would be to revert back to windows 7

win7 FTW :P

Check if all the drivers are upto date.

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

Hi all.

Im using an old Q6600 cpu (and NVidia GT 430) as a HTPC at the moment.  It has 4 gig of ram(ddr2).  A regular 7200 500gb HDD in there too.  I was using Win7 and things were fine... and recently took the plunge into Win8.

Ha! That's quite interesting, I have similar specs. Good thing I didn't switch my system to Windows 8.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Windows 8 is running on my Core 2 Duo P8400 2.2GHz, 4GB of RAM. Quadro NVS 160M 256MB (GeForce 9300M with 256MB of dedicated memory, instead of shared). It is a 5 year old laptop, and it flies. Granted it has an 128GB SSD, but still. It is using a mix of Vista and Win7 drivers.

It is known that the Task Manager in Windows 8 takes a moment to load for the first time, for some odd reason. But, definitely not like that. Just a few seconds than before. I am not sure if it is fixed in Windows 8.1.

Did you disable any services, or tweaked Windows 8 in any fashion? That might explain your problem.

Haven't disabled services. This doesn't happen 100% of the time (as I also said earlier regarding the USB wake up).

Tried it today and it works instantly. An SSD would certainly improve responsiveness but I don't want to change the hardware.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Haven't disabled services. This doesn't happen 100% of the time (as I also said earlier regarding the USB wake up).

Tried it today and it works instantly. An SSD would certainly improve responsiveness but I don't want to change the hardware.

Maybe you are missing a driver... like your SATA controller driver (by the way it's set to AHCI mode, right?), or motherboard drivers.

Hi all.

Im using an old Q6600 cpu (and NVidia GT 430) as a HTPC at the moment. It has 4 gig of ram(ddr2). A regular 7200 500gb HDD in there too. I was using Win7 and things were fine... and recently took the plunge into Win8.

All my software works just fine in Win8, its just seems to halt sometimes when I ask it to do things. For example... I'm playing a video and after a while I pause it(EVERYTHINGS FINE INSIDE MY PROGRAM). Then I do the old trusty ALT+CTRL+DEL so bring up the Task Manager just out of curiosity to see info there. It takes a long time to bring up the Task Manager like theres something holding it back. I cant figure it out for the life of me. Even if I close my media player and move the mouse around..etc.. it still doesn't pop up. I wait longer still and after maybe 5 minutes it finally shows like there's nothing wrong.

I've checked to see programs running / services/ etc that may be causing conflicts, but have not yet seen anything remotely that might cause this unresponsiveness. Win7 had no issue at all... which makes me think its something to do with Win8, or drivers for win 8. Its a 5 year old mobo so there are no real WIN8 drivers (just win7), and ive already encountered one annoying bug to do with the USB wake-up feature (only sometimes) not working. So there is no chance of getting any better drivers ever.

This lack of responsiveness is driving me up the wall.. cant quite figure it out. Id rather stay with Win8 if possible... I cant imagine there's a hardware fault going on..it sounds software based.

Does anyone have this kind of issue with Windows8?

Do you have Windows installed on an SSD or an HDD? If you have it installed on an HDD I would try defragmenting the drive, even on a new install, because sometimes the drive can be fragmented from passed installation. Give it a go and see if your performance improves.

Did you do a fresh installation of Windows 8 or an upgrade? I would always go for a fresh install as you generally run into next to no problems.

Win 8 was a format and fresh install on a regular HDD.. Maybe its the htpc programme I'm running.. Meh I dunno. Its only once every few weeks it happens so I can live with it.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Maybe you are missing a driver... like your SATA controller driver (by the way it's set to AHCI mode, right?), or motherboard drivers.

That's the one driver I cannot find for win with my board... Which would fix the USB wake up issue I have sometimes.. Oh well.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Get the "Intel INF installation" they are inside with the motherboard chipset drivers.