Did I just seriously lose the silicone lottery?

MVPernula

Okay so just got my GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC and Firestrike keeps crashing on below 2000MHz. I'm uncertain about how good/bad that is. Thoughts?

Right now I'm testing:
+180 Core Clock
+500 Memory Clock

100% Fan mode

121 Power limit.

I was really looking forward to getting it up on 2GHz.. Seems I wont be going there.

What are the temps hitting?

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Just now, DevilishBooster said:

74 Maximum.

Lower the memory clock to stock and try again.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

i have heard that 2000+ mhz are possible with FE cards 3rd party are stuck slightly below that but its just a rumor

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

74 Maximum.

That's why you're not hitting higher clocks.  Need to keep the temps lower.

Get GPUz sensors tab open, and have it running during your testing as well.  Pay particular attention to the PerfCap Reason line.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Just now, App4that said:

Will do. Testing what I said on my first post now and it seems stable so far, butt I'll try going up to 2GHz with base mem clock after to test that as well.

Just now, MVPernula said:

Will do. Testing what I said on my first post now and it seems stable so far, butt I'll try going up to 2GHz with base mem clock after to test that as well.

The core clock influences performance more than the memory, always start with the core and then see what the memory will do. Otherwise you might lose out of core speed.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, Vellinious said:

Still hitting that but it seems alright atm. Noted however.

6 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Okay so just got my GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC and Firestrike keeps crashing on below 2000MHz. I'm uncertain about how good/bad that is. Thoughts?

Right now I'm testing:
+180 Core Clock
+500 Memory Clock

100% Fan mode

121 Power limit.

I was really looking forward to getting it up on 2GHz.. Seems I wont be going there.

thoughts?! you bought the cheapest end model from MSI...of course you got a bad silicon...

they have the Gaming, gaming X and Gaming Z models above yours...and then the REAL good ones are probably all being set aside waiting to receive the MSI lightning board and cooling solution.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, Vellinious said:

Get GPUz sensors tab open, and have it running during your testing as well.  Pay particular attention to the PerfCap Reason line.

I'm pretty sure 74C is pretty healthy for a GPU

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

Just now, Wander Away said:

Just my thought.

Just now, Wander Away said:

it is...anything bellow 80c is perfectly fine.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

8 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

2 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

thoughts?! you bought the cheapest end model from MSI...of course you got a bad silicon...

they have the Gaming, gaming X and Gaming Z models above yours...and then the REAL good ones are probably all being set aside waiting to receive the MSI lightning board and cooling solution.

Finished Fire Strike now with http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13458357 as my result with the settings I posted above. Will mix around a bit more though.

1 minute ago, Wander Away said:

Not if you're overclocking.  The cooler you keep them, the higher they'll bost.  The thermal layers in Maxwell are even more defined with Pascal.  

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Just now, MVPernula said:

Finished Fire Strike now with http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13458357 as my result with the settings I posted above. Will mix around a bit more though.

@App4that is right though...you should try to let go the memory overclocking for now...first find a stable core clock and then start messing with the VRAM oc.

Just now, Vellinious said:

Not if you're overclocking.  The cooler you keep them, the higher they'll bost.  The thermal layers in Maxwell are even more defined with Pascal.  

If it's just a problem with the temperature though, firestrike wouldn't crash, the clock would just be pulled back. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

@App4that is right though...you should try to let go the memory overclocking for now...first find a stable core clock and then start messing with the VRAM oc.

Yes I'm doing that now! Trying on +203 core clock with memory on stock.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I have 2 armor 1080s in sli. Both of mine peak at 2100mhz about like all the other cards.

I managed to get the #1 spot on 4k Valley benchmark.

The armor isn't bad cards, I've had 1070s and 1080s in them. 

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case

Meanwhile I can't get a boost from 990 -> 1000mhz on my 380 without instability. 

And my 3770k reaches 105c under load and takes 1.365v for 4.5ghz (80 idle at this speed) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, App4that said:

Keep pushing, you're just over a 980ti. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9006144

Can't seem to hit that 2GHz sweetspot, even with memory clock on stock.

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

Unless it's an AMD card, in which case anything below 100 is okay, but the cutoff is 105.

Not necessarily true, but did the original poster ever mention overvolting, or did he just raise the power limit and expect it to work? 

The 1080 seems to have a voltage lock, can't budge it no matter the settings.

1 minute ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

I have 2 armor 1080s in sli. Both of mine peak at 2100mhz about like all the other cards.

I managed to get the #1 spot on 4k Valley benchmark.

The armor isn't bad cards, I've had 1070s and 1080s in them. 

This I like!

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

Meanwhile I can't get a boost from 990 -> 1000mhz on my 380 without instability. 

And my 3770k reaches 105c under load and takes 1.365v for 4.5ghz (80 idle at this speed) 

Then there's something wrong. 80 idle means something's wrong.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

12 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

It doesn't throttle that aggressively! It's still worth setting the temperature limit in Afterburner manually.

Also put the voltage and power sliders up a bit. It won't use the maximum power or voltage unless it needs to anyway.

I wouldn't have expected you to need +180 just to reach 2000 either. Remember you're offsetting GPUboost, not stock. +90 gets me ~2050. If I run at stock it naturally wants to be ~1911 MHz.

7 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Unless it's an AMD card, in which case anything below 100 is okay, but the cutoff is 105.

AMD can claim all they want but a piece of silicon is a piece of silicon and running it at 90c is bad...AMD say 100c is fine because they fucked up and pushed cards that do run at 100c with the fans at 100%.
AMD make power hungry cards and they tend to run hot...and also tend to fail prematurely you have no idea how many ''did my GPU just died on me'' threads we had this past year concerning 290 and 290X GPU,s just tapping out...100c is not fine...it's really not fine at all unless you plan to run the card for 2 years tops and don't mind having the card failing on you.