Is FreeSync a big enough factor in choosing a new gpu? (1070 vs Fury X)

LaboonTheWhale
Just now, Energycore said:

What? No, if you bought 1080 then you should have the money for an overpriced display as well

So what exactly did your response to me add?

When I can tell every time my games stop running at vsync I know I could benefit from adaptive refresh

Completely different. That difference being worth the cost is subjective. I think it is. But it's like saying a dinner at a more expensive restaurant is "overpriced", that's subjective.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Compared to the cost of a monitor the price difference at competing GPUs is actually quite minor. A 1440p IPS gsync monitor is $800 and the Freesync one is $570 (all be it with overdrive issues). Competing cards might be +- $50 so compared to the cost of a new monitor that just isn't the issue. I wouldn't want to be without variable refresh so its certainly a major factor into the overall price consideration.

Of course that means you are currently stuck and need to wait for Vega and hope it performs close enough to Nvidia's high end to be worth it.

So in essence whatever you currently have on Freesync/Gsync level is what to stick with as the difference in fps /$ isn't worth the change of GPU coming from either manufacturer. That is part of the issue with the lockin on both sides, AMD users can't switch to Nvidia and vice verses once they have the respective companies async solution. Its really anti consumer as it is. AMD is cheaper but Nvidia's current setup is faster and more capable but obviously more expensive.

Just now, othertomperson said:

So what exactly did your response to me add?

I feel like I don't understand where you're coming from. You said this

Same for you, if you want a 21:9 144 fps experience, that isn't going to happen with anything AMD have to offer.

Well, AMD has Furies and Fury Xs that turn out to better performance / dollar when you add the cost difference of an adaptive refresh display, and are capable of driving a 3440*1440 screen if you tweak settings. This is my case

Cheapest 3440*1440 GSync Display: $1200 USD http://pcpartpicker.com/product/WDcMnQ/acer-monitor-umcx1aa002

Cheapest 3440*1440 Freesync Display: $800 USD http://pcpartpicker.com/product/tq38TW/acer-monitor-umcx1aa001

Those two are even the same model and only differ in the Gsync chipset

21:9 Gsync + GTX 1070: $1630 (http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=132462&vpn=GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD)

21:9 Freesync + R9 Fury X: $1260 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150742)

And let's say the Fury X is 15% slower than a GTX 1070, it is in most games, you're still paying 30% more for the Gsync solution

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I feel like I don't understand where you're coming from. You said this

Well, AMD has Furies and Fury Xs that turn out to better performance / dollar when you add the cost difference of an adaptive refresh display, and are capable of driving a 3440*1440 screen if you tweak settings. This is my case

Cheapest 3440*1440 GSync Display: $1200 USD http://pcpartpicker.com/product/WDcMnQ/acer-monitor-umcx1aa002

Cheapest 3440*1440 Freesync Display: $800 USD http://pcpartpicker.com/product/tq38TW/acer-monitor-umcx1aa001

Those two are even the same model and only differ in the Gsync chipset

21:9 Gsync + GTX 1070: $1630 (http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=132462&vpn=GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD)

21:9 Freesync + R9 Fury X: $1260 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150742)

And let's say the Fury X is 15% slower than a GTX 1070, it is in most games, you're still paying 30% more for the Gsync solution

But the fps is the point of getting a 144hz monitor. It's like getting high performance tires for a Chevy Sonic. You need both to make sense, we need Vega bad.

Just now, App4that said:

But the fps is the point of getting a 144hz monitor. It's like getting high performance tires for a Chevy Sonic. You need both to make sense, we need Vega bad.

I wouldn't know whether 144fps is achievable with antialiasing and eye candy disabled, but It would help at least. And whenever you don't hit 144 you have adaptive refresh to have your back. It's kind of silly to both want an adaptive refresh display and a GPU that will keep framerates over max refresh

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I wouldn't know whether 144fps is achievable with antialiasing and eye candy disabled, but It would help at least. And whenever you don't hit 144 you have adaptive refresh to have your back. It's kind of silly to both want an adaptive refresh display and a GPU that will keep framerates over max refresh

They are all about high fps, well in shooters anyway. Sure 60fps feels better using GSYNC but 80fps is basically sex. At over 120fps my k/d bumps me up a tier at least.

If you insist that the Fury or 1070 is a must be then pick the 1070 but for that amount of money you could get 2x RX480 + Crossfire bridge. Also RX480 promises much more.

1 minute ago, demonaii said:

If you insist that the Fury or 1070 is a must be then pick the 1070 but for that amount of money you could get 2x RX480 + Crossfire bridge. Also RX480 promises much more.

What? First off always get the single card over two cards. Second, crossfire doesn't require a bridge.

my monitor has freesync but its only 60hz and if im over 60fps with gsync on i dont get any screen tearing anyway so no, not a big factor for me

Apart from the fact that he would be better off waiting for Vega, some of the responses here confuse me and I'm going to attribute it to the usual culprit: tech forum syndrome.

Buying a 144 Hz monitor doesn't mean the person is going to play every game at 144 Hz. It means that the person will have high frame rates for the games that need it (csgo, LoL, overwatch) and a nice resolution for games where the high refresh rate is not necessary. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a 1440p 144Hz monitor with a Fury or 980 tier GPU.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 hours ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Hey all

I have a 21:9 freesync monitor and im looking to upgrade from an r9 290. 

Options are Fury X and 1070. they're both around the same price but obviously the 1070 out performs it, but fury x has an aio and free sync. 

Is free sync that huge of an important thing to think about? i wasnt quite sure how to use it on my 290

Edit: this gpu will be playing 2560x1080 or 2560x1440p. depending on how im feeling. and on an HTC VIVE 

I wouldn't buy a Fury X at this point. It's a competent card but 4GB VRAM holds it back at times. Newegg had it $399 a while ago but I guess that batch sold out.

I wouldn't pay for a G-sync display. Few dollars is the approximated value of the Gsync-module - nVidia is making a bank selling those whereas they could just support a displayport standard. Or hell, support both - but we know what consumers would decide on...

I would honestly wait for the HBM 2.0 cards - big pascal and vega - you already have an r9 290, and with a freesync display, it should do a good job for a while. But of course, how much you value your money depends on how much disposable income you actually have.