Is FreeSync a big enough factor in choosing a new gpu? (1070 vs Fury X)

LaboonTheWhale

Hey all

I have a 21:9 freesync monitor and im looking to upgrade from an r9 290. 

Options are Fury X and 1070. they're both around the same price but obviously the 1070 out performs it, but fury x has an aio and free sync. 

Is free sync that huge of an important thing to think about? i wasnt quite sure how to use it on my 290

Edit: this gpu will be playing 2560x1080 or 2560x1440p. depending on how im feeling. and on an HTC VIVE 

I really like freesync, I would prefer to use it and get a slower GPU, but no the Fury X, try to get the Fury, in many countries they are a lot cheaper now.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

i'd say wait it out fort he RX490 to launch, and DEFENATELY go AMD because otherwise that display kida just lost one of its key features.

Just now, Stevoisboss said:

Depends how much you hate screen tearing and if you can afford gysnc

sadly g sync is out of my budget.

i never really experienced screen tearing so i dont know :/

Just now, RuLeZ said:

I really like freesync, I would prefer to use it and get a slower GPU, but no the Fury X, try to get the Fury, in many countries they are a lot cheaper now.

in the US those fuckers are going for like $600 and I have no idea why its so inflated. lol 

Just now, manikyath said:

i'd say wait it out fort he RX490 to launch, and DEFENATELY go AMD because otherwise that display kida just lost one of its key features.

Touche I guess. but its still a good 60hz monitor thats 21:9 

Just now, LaboonTheWhale said:

Touche I guess. but its still a good 60hz monitor thats 21:9 

a good one, yes, but also one you now overpaid for because it has features you cant use :P

Just now, manikyath said:

a good one, yes, but also one you now overpaid for because it has features you cant use :P

thats a good point. 

Just now, Stevoisboss said:

Personally I don't really care that much about occasional screen tears. Although I think nvidia are money whores 1070 prob better choice.

I was surprised the Fury X didn't drop in price tbh

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

No. AMD simply don't have a product that is capable of outputting what I want, which means I would be forced to choose a monitor based on my GPU, not the other way around.

Same for you, if you want a 21:9 144 fps experience, that isn't going to happen with anything AMD have to offer.

Just now, othertomperson said:

No. AMD simply don't have a product that is capable of outputting what I want, which means I would be forced to choose a monitor based on my GPU, not the other way around.

im not looking to run 144hz or anything. its just freesync up to 75 hz. i dont think thats that demanding

Same for you, if you want a 21:9 144 fps experience, that isn't going to happen with anything AMD have to offer.

I disagree. Tweaking settings is always an option

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, LaboonTheWhale said:

im not looking to run 144hz or anything. its just freesync up to 75 hz. i dont think thats that demanding

A Fury X could do it. A 480, not so much.

A Fury X could do it. A 480, not so much.

480 is a side grade to an r9 290 than an upgrade. thats why I didnt put it in the OP. just higher end cards from both sides. 

5 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

480 is a side grade to an r9 290 than an upgrade. thats why I didnt put it in the OP. just higher end cards from both sides. 

the "dont ever actually apply this nvidia rule"

1 step up in generation, and one step down within that generation equals out.

that's why i'd recommend waiting out the RX490, or possible upcoming fury replacements, if they were to be announced within the timeframe you're prepared to wait.

at this specific spot in time i'd rather recommend you to sit on your money, than to actually make a purchase.

I love my GSYNC monitor, but I really don't like being stuck with Nvidia. The extra cost of the monitor didn't bother me as the monitor offers something for the cost. Ideally we would have something that worked on both, but we don't, so I buy based on what we have. And what we have are high end Nvidia graphics cards and the Fury X that doesn't perform as well as the Nvidia offerings. That's why I spent the money. If AMD had something to compete with Nvidia I would have had to consider Freesync and probably would have saved the money and gone with it.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I don't see why you would be in a rush if you have a 290. wait for Vega

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I love my GSYNC monitor, but I really don't like being stuck with Nvidia. The extra cost of the monitor didn't bother me as the monitor offers something for the cost. Ideally we would have something that worked on both, but we don't, so I buy based on what we have. And what we have are high end Nvidia graphics cards and the Fury X that doesn't perform as well as the Nvidia offerings. That's why I spent the money. If AMD had something to compete with Nvidia I would have had to consider Freesync and probably would have saved the money and gone with it.

i hope that at some point vesa wrenches down and makes "adaptive sync" the standard to apply to.

even if it wouldnt be as good as either gsync or freesync, it should at least be there as a cross-compatible "failover" mode.

(as in, freesync and gsync stay a thing for monitors, but if you dont pair up the right monitor with the right gpu they "fall back" to a more basic adaptivesync implementation)

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

I disagree. Tweaking settings is always an option

You would downgrade your GPU and play at much lower settings just so you could use Freesync instead of Gsync?

1 hour ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

The 480 is the highest performance product AMD have this generation.

You would downgrade your GPU and play at much lower settings just so you could use Freesync instead of Gsync?

Me personally? Yeah, I don't have the budget for both a card that can drive 144Hz 1080p and a Gsync monitor, but I do have enough for 390X + Freesync

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

Me personally? Yeah, I don't have the budget for both a card that can drive 144Hz 1080p and a Gsync monitor, but I do have enough for 390X + Freesync

So say you already had a GTX 1080, would you still sell it and downgrade just for that freesync monitor just because "settings can be tweaked"?

Just now, Energycore said:

Honestly both really need 1440 to shine. No reason to buy a 1080p GSNYC monitor. At 1440 it's not the tearing that lets you know GSYNC isn't active, it's how the game looks. Sometimes a update places the game in borderless windowed and disables GSYNC and I know instantly.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

So say you already had a GTX 1080, would you still sell it and downgrade just for that freesync monitor just because "settings can be tweaked"?

What? No, if you bought 1080 then you should have the money for an overpriced display as well

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, App4that said:

Honestly both really need 1440 to shine. No reason to buy a 1080p GSNYC monitor. At 1440 it's not the tearing that lets you know GSYNC isn't active, it's how the game looks. Sometimes a update places the game in borderless windowed and disables GSYNC and I know instantly.

When I can tell every time my games stop running at vsync I know I could benefit from adaptive refresh

Computer Specs:

Spoiler