1080p Ultrawide VS 1440p 21 inch Display

JohnMDrummer

Hello! I recently bought my first gaming pc with an i5 6600k and a GTX 1070. I have about 300 euros left to spend on a monitor what would you suggest?

1080p Ultrawide or 1440p 21 inch?

9 minutes ago, JohnMDrummer said:

Hello! I recently bought my first gaming pc with an i5 6600k and a GTX 1070. I have about 300 euros left to spend on a monitor what would you suggest?

1080p Ultrawide or 1440p 21 inch?

I would suggest go with ultrawide.

Ultrawide, 1440p on a 21" display is unbearable to use.

29" Ultrawide at 1080p is pretty good.

I would go with the Ultra wide

There is little point of getting a 21 inch 1440p monitor 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Definitely Ultrawide. Be aware though that a 21 inch Ultrawide is going to be almost oddly "short" on the vertical. For example, my 29" Ultrawide is only as tall as my 24" 16:9 monitor. I couldn't even imagine how short a 21" would be. That said, the ultrawide was a game changer for me, though, in terms of gaming and overall productivity, hopefully you find the same!

3 hours ago, ogretactics said:

Definitely Ultrawide. Be aware though that a 21 inch Ultrawide is going to be almost oddly "short" on the vertical. For example, my 29" Ultrawide is only as tall as my 24" 16:9 monitor. I couldn't even imagine how short a 21" would be. That said, the ultrawide was a game changer for me, though, in terms of gaming and overall productivity, hopefully you find the same!

Well I am using a 19 inch monitor right now so I think it will be fine for me.

what ultrawide I wouldnt buy that 25 inch one. Its obviously wide because its an uw but its really not tall

17 hours ago, ogretactics said:

What monitor are you using right now? I really dont know wich monitor I should buy? I am looking for a 1080p ultrawide that has display port.

4 hours ago, JohnMDrummer said:

What monitor are you using right now? I really dont know wich monitor I should buy? I am looking for a 1080p ultrawide that has display port.

I'm using the LG 29UM58-P. I like it but unfortunately it doesn't have Display Port, just 2xHDMI and 1xDVI. I myself will be looking into upgrading to an Ultrawide with Display Port in the future and will likely stay with LG because I like what they've been doing with their displays lately. There are 29" models of the LG that do have Display Port, such as the 29UM67-P and a variety of discontinued models that you might still be able to find kicking around. I would also look into Samsung and Dell, they have great Ultrawide displays.

6 hours ago, ogretactics said:

I'm using the LG 29UM58-P. I like it but unfortunately it doesn't have Display Port, just 2xHDMI and 1xDVI. I myself will be looking into upgrading to an Ultrawide with Display Port in the future and will likely stay with LG because I like what they've been doing with their displays lately. There are 29" models of the LG that do have Display Port, such as the 29UM67-P and a variety of discontinued models that you might still be able to find kicking around. I would also look into Samsung and Dell, they have great Ultrawide displays.

I have an Nvidia gpu. I found an ultrawide monitor with Display Port that has FreeSync and not Gsync. Will I have any compatibility problems?

1 hour ago, JohnMDrummer said:

I have an Nvidia gpu. I found an ultrawide monitor with Display Port that has FreeSync and not Gsync. Will I have any compatibility problems?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the FreeSync won't work with Nvidia. You can still use the monitor, but it won't benefit from FreeSync. I really wish Nvidia would get on board with FreeSync, as it seems that's what most monitor manufacturers have chosen.

On 21/7/2016 at 2:25 AM, ogretactics said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the FreeSync won't work with Nvidia. You can still use the monitor, but it won't benefit from FreeSync. I really wish Nvidia would get on board with FreeSync, as it seems that's what most monitor manufacturers have chosen.

Because they have to pay for G-Sync :/