Stuttering on gta 5 with 2x 980ti's

trystanidog

Hello, I'm new the forum. I tried all the troubleshooting I could but every time I alt-tab on GTA 5 I get massive stutterings. Nothing is being maxed out. I really don't want to disable SLI or go into windowed borderless, if anyone can help that would be great! Also GTA 5 is the only game that does this.

My system:

i7 4790k

8gb RAM

2x 980ti's

1tb HDD (game is stored on this)

120gb SSD

what is wrong with windowed borderless? 

making it windowed/borderless is my suggestion to you.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

windowed borderless takes a performance hit for me

6 minutes ago, trystanidog said:

Hello, I'm new the forum. I tried all the troubleshooting I could but every time I alt-tab on GTA 5 I get massive stutterings. Nothing is being maxed out. I really don't want to disable SLI or go into windowed borderless, if anyone can help that would be great! Also GTA 5 is the only game that does this.

My system:

i7 4790k

8gb RAM

2x 980ti's

1tb HDD (game is stored on this)

120gb SSD

thats just how gta is really tbh its optimisation on pc is shoddy at best sometimes you best bet is to try and reduce your tabbing out where you can tbh 

I lurk a lot

delete/uninstall razer surround, it sounds weird but trust me

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

6 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

delete/uninstall razer surround, it sounds weird but trust me

oh yes that helped me with gta before 

I lurk a lot

I don't have razer surround installed, I have razer synapse  

If you are at 1080P. turn off SLi.. simple.

If you have 2 980Ti at 1080P.. you need a good slap.

E7-8890 V3 x2 , 12TB DDR4 @ 1866, Quadro K6000's + 2x GTX 1080's.

I found a solution that sort of works. If I disable hyperthreading for GTA 5 I can alt tab but sometimes, but sometimes it hits my RAM limit. When I hit that limit, my game stutters all over the place. When it limits itself it only uses 5.5gb of RAM for some reason. I also use less RAM when disabling hyperthreading as well, with it disabled I use 5.5-6.8gb and I normally use 6.8-7.2gb of RAM

Is vsync turned on? If so, disable it. That could be the cause.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

2 hours ago, trystanidog said:

i need vsync on to stop the screan tearing

This could be the problem then. What refresh rate is your monitor? If you can't keep the frames up to the refresh rate when vsync is on then you will get stutter I believe. If you are using an nvidia card you could try adaptive vsync from the nvidia control panel.

Could also cap your frame rate and disable vsync. That may help too. I use nvidia inspector when I need to cap my frame rate. A lot of people use mis afterburner with rivatuner also.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I figured out what was causing it. I was using too much VRAM. I didn't know that the ram mirrored while using SLI. I thought it was doubled and the game was trying to use 6.8gb of VRAM but it wasn't there.