Best Free Anti-Virus

Pretty sure my computer has some form of virus on it. Give me the best free anti virus

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

1 minute ago, mitchelskater said:

Windows defender if you have Windows 7, Free trial of Norton if not.

I've got windows 10 and am running a windows defender scan right now

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

5 minutes ago, mitchelskater said:

Lol Norton...

MBAM

I've heard Avira's good too.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

4 minutes ago, mitchelskater said:

before anyone murders you for mentioning norton...

i've been dealing with norton (indeed that's not put very positively) since 2011.

THEIR 2016 VERSION BLEW MY FRIKKIN MIND. it turned my mom's netbook from a sluggish disaster with avast to an actually decent netbook.

it's out of your way when it needs to be, more lightweight than ever, and honestly never failed me with finding the nasties.

--

that said, i dont have the cash to fork over for an expensive antivirus like norton, so i run malwarebytes free and CommonSense+ 2.0 on my systems :P

Yep, Windows Security Essentials for windows 7, or Windows Defender for windows 10. I honestly think these 2 are great because they are low profile and aren't in your face and you're not compromising anything either. 

9 minutes ago, TheGrim123321 said:

Pretty sure my computer has some form of virus on it. Give me the best free anti virus

Hey, I'd recommend Avira and MBAM, for sure.
https://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-windows
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

If you feel a bit adventurous BitDefender often has either 3 or 6 months free license campaigns - however, it gave me grey hairs a couple of months ago. Computer would run fine for a couple of hours, but then it'd start to stutter and lock-up. Did trouble shooting over some weeks, new MB, new CPU, new RAM, and fresh install of Windows 10 - turns out it was BitDefender that caused the issue - though unsure why or what part of it that did it - most likely network related though that much I know.

https://www.facebook.com/bitdefender/app/118554158281905/

If you're even more adventurous Quihoo makes a product called 360 Total Security, it utilizes their own engine, plus Aviras and BitDefenders - though I think you have to 'manually' activate the BitDefender one, after installations. Haven't read the complete EULA, but I am pretty sure that this free security solutions is not much worse in this regard than any of the other "free" ones.

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/

19 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Lol Norton...

whats your problem with norton 

I lurk a lot

21 minutes ago, peej said:

whats your problem with norton 

the 2011 or 2012 (forgot which was the worst out of the two) version was a performance disaster, taking about a 30% impact on real world performance, although since things have improved hugely, and whatever the 2016 version is doing to my mom's netbook is a frikkin miracle...

Avast works fine for me. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

the 2011 or 2012 (forgot which was the worst out of the two) version was a performance disaster, taking about a 30% impact on real world performance, although since things have improved hugely, and whatever the 2016 version is doing to my mom's netbook is a frikkin miracle...

ive never really had problems with it tbh just i mean right now its using about 3% cpu so meh 

I lurk a lot

2 minutes ago, peej said:

ive never really had problems with it tbh just i mean right now its using about 3% cpu so meh 

the thing with norton is that it doesnt "use" cpu so much, it more so "slows down" the rest.

i'm not nearly knowledgable enough to explain the how and why, but with the testing i've done back then, basicly it makes everything on your computer about 30% slower.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

the thing with norton is that it doesnt "use" cpu so much, it more so "slows down" the rest.

i'm not nearly knowledgable enough to explain the how and why, but with the testing i've done back then, basicly it makes everything on your computer about 30% slower.

okay well fair enough but i never really see slow down on my machines with it on 

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, peej said:

okay well fair enough but i never really see slow down on my machines with it on 

they've took a huge turn since then, and the 2016 version seems to be actually beneficial to performance on the low end of things at least.

5 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Windows Defender and system scans with MalwareBytes is the sweet spot for me. Works well and is the least intrusive solution I've found. 

This.

I am using BitDefender free version,very happy with it - light on resources,barley felt during use,no annoying pop-up messages,highly recommended.

I also use Malewarebytes from time to time. Bitdefender+Malewarebytes (but not at the same time) works best for me.

Intel Core i7 6700K || Coolermaster Hyper 212X || Asus Z170 ROG Maximus Hero Alpha ||  32GB (16x2) RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz CL14

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X || Samsung 950 Pro 512GB || Western Digital Black 2TB || Evga Supernova 650w P2

Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout || Dell U2715H || Logitech G502 Proteus Core Spectrum || Steelseries qck mass || Corsair K70 RGB Brown

Sennheiser HD598 SE || Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection

No ads, no pointless features, straight up virus and network protection

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0