To buy, or not to buy. That is the question.

Mr.Lonewalker
Go to solution Solved by Mr.Lonewalker,

@leadeater @tt2468 @mcraftax @CostcoSamples @RezidentSeagull I have come down to a completely different way of tackling this mission set upon me, no who am i kidding. I called the tech support for my ISP and said to them "I pay for a 150 connection, and my router is only capable of 100" and then now they are sending a Gigabit router for free. Though i'm still going to purchase a switch, unless i need money for games ;) #GameCollector

Hello every one, I'm currently in the making of changing how the internet is set up here where i live, but i have a couple of choices though i have more than i want to use.

I've decided that i want to buy a network switch for my setup because i need to be able to use the full bandwidth of my connection.

I want to buy that switch and put the switch between the modem and the router, and i know it will work in the setup i have with a normal layer 2 switch, but if i go for a layer 2 switch i will need to pay my UPS to give my modem a static ip address otherwise the layer 2 switch will not be able to have more than 1 device connected to it.

But then the thing comes, i have to choose between going with a layer 3 switch or layer 2 switch and pay for the static IP address, which is around 4,5$ more very month. But if i go with the layer 3 switch i don't need to pay those 4.5$ more every month to have it connected because a layer 3 switch supports DHCP and is able to do it for it self. But that will also cost me more, just not every month. But then is it worth paying less for the switch and pay more for the modem to get a static IP address. Also if it is true that you can only port forward if your modem has a static IP address, then that is what I'm going to try to do.

So in short can you port forward on a modem that has a dynamic IP address. And should i go with a layer 3 switch and still have a dynamic IP address for the modem, or would it be best if i go with a layer 2 switch and pay for getting a static IP address?

Money is not the biggest issue in this situation, i want the best possible experience for myself without a router between me and the internet.

I'm going to connect me and the router and the modem up to the switch, and use it that way, because i have a 150Mb/s up and down internet connection, but the router is a 100Mb/s router, and i'm not going to purchase a new router because i want a switch anyway but which one should i go with.

It's not really a good idea to put your switch in front of the router.  Everything should be behind the router for proper security.  Plus I think you may run into issues other than security.  I'm not a network guy, but I do know that what you are describing sounds like a bad idea.  If having a static IP is very important, just pay the extra money but don't compromise security.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

5 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

It's not really a good idea to put your switch in front of the router.  Everything should be behind the router for proper security.  Plus I think you may run into issues other than security.  I'm not a network guy, but I do know that what you are describing sounds like a bad idea.  If having a static IP is very important, just pay the extra money but don't compromise security.

Ok, first of all. Security for me is a second priority, i can handle that for my self. Second of all, i completely agree it is in general a bad idea to put a switch before the router.

And yes i am currently running into issues if i just connect a switch in that way, that's why i would either have to pay for a static IP address for the modem, or get a layer 3 switch which has DHCP control built in. But i have very specific reasons for wanting to have the setup in that way, though I'm not going into that, and if you want, i have another topic where i talked about that.

And the only way a static Modem IP would be important for me is if you can't port forward with a dynamic modem IP address, and the fact that 2 devices that need an IP address each connected to that switch, and the switch connected to the modem will not work except if you have the modem set to a static IP.

I think you're best bet, if you want a wired connection, is just to buy a router with gigabit Ethernet ports.

Also, I think you NEED a router between you and the internet, unless your switch points connects directly up to your ISP's routers, since routers are the ones that control and route your internet traffic in the first place.

Also, the cost of a gigabit-equipped router and a network switch with that capability may end up costing the same in the end (though I don't necessarily know if that's true, I just know that good networking stuff, even used, can be kinda pricey)

Also, I'm gonna disclaimer that I am by no means a network expert, and that I'm still an amateur in development right now

SECOND EDIT: Also, you'll need something capable of doing NATing, unless you plan on getting IPs for every device you have. I'm don't know if Layer 3 switches can handle that...

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

Yeah sorry this might be the blind leading the blind.  Feel free to dismiss what I'm saying if it is obviously wrong.

I'm pretty sure you need a router no matter what, even if your router is software on your computer.  Something needs to route the traffic properly, and a switch and modem can not do it.

I can say from personal experience that port forwarding is a hassle without a static IP address.  I tried to do it for a game server I was running and in the end I had to just put the computer on the other side of the router's firewall using DMZ hosting.  Not a good situation for security.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

6 minutes ago, RezidentSeagull said:

I think you're best bet, if you want a wired connection, is just to buy a router with gigabit Ethernet ports.

Also, I think you NEED a router between you and the internet, unless your switch points connects directly up to your ISP's routers, since routers are the ones that control and route your internet traffic in the first place.

Also, the cost of a gigabit-equipped router and a network switch with that capability may end up costing the same in the end (though I don't necessarily know if that's true, I just know that good networking stuff, even used, can be kinda pricey)

Also, I'm gonna disclaimer that I am by no means a network expert, and that I'm still an amateur in development right now

SECOND EDIT: Also, you'll need something capable of doing NATing, unless you plan on getting IPs for every device you have. I'm don't know if Layer 3 switches can handle that...

Layer 3 switches can do pretty much the same thing as a normal router without wifi can, it can router the network traffic through your own local network and have every device get it's own IP address from 1 IP address that your IPS sends out.

And yes, the best option would be a gigabit router, but that is just not what i want. I already have a wifi router, and i pretty much don't use it so it would be a waste, but i still use it sometimes, just not enough to have a point of getting a wireless router, and it needs to be a wireless one because i sadly don't live alone.

But i still just want to have a layer 2 switch and it is possible to have it in that way, and the security does not matter for me. That's the same as i never use any kind of antivirus and I've never had a virus and i will never get a virus, because i can take popper care of my computer equipment, like most people can, but most people also like security.

2 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Yeah sorry this might be the blind leading the blind.  Feel free to dismiss what I'm saying if it is obviously wrong.

I'm pretty sure you need a router no matter what, even if your router is software on your computer.  Something needs to route the traffic properly, and a switch and modem can not do it.

I can say from personal experience that port forwarding is a hassle without a static IP address.  I tried to do it for a game server I was running and in the end I had to just put the computer on the other side of the router's firewall using DMZ hosting.  Not a good situation for security.

Sorry for the long text, but i recommend you to read it.

I have plenty of time on my hands currently, so if you want me to i can explain how everything is setup from what i currently know, just ask. but it might be hell of a text.

But your right, a modem in it self can't take care of network traffic by itself, usually you will need something like a router to handle that, but that is if you have more than 1 device connected to your modem.

The way you get internet is you pay your internet provider to send an internet connection out to your house in the way of IP's. Your internet provider sends you and allocates a specific IP address to your home, and that will then be your modems IP. Then if you connect a computer directly up to that modem, what the modem does is it sends the IP address the modem received and sends it further to your PC, and that will be your IP.

Then if you instead connect a router to that modem, and connect the computer to the router, what it does is it takes that IP address send from your internet provider to your modem, then from your modem to your router, and converts that connection into a local area network (LAN).

Now let's say the IP address ´that the router received is 192.168.1.0, and then the router will have a default gateway, which usually is 192.168.1.1 in this case.

Then it takes the devices connected to the router and gives them an LAN IP address and that is how the router knows who you are. Then depending on the settings that could be 192.168.1.20 for PC1 and 192.168.1.21 for PC2.

Then when PC2 (192.168.1.21) request some packages from the router, the router then goes and sends out a request to your internet provider, and they send it even further until it reaches the server PC2 is trying to access, then on the way back when the packages the server you was trying to access comes back to your internet provider, the packages comes back to your mode, and in this case the modem forwards it to the router. Then now we reach a problem, because there is 2 computer connected to the router but only one of those PC's will need to receive that package, then what the router does it knows which one of the LAN IP's it is that want to package so it "routes" the packages to that LAN IP address so only that pc gets those packages. That is what a router does, it makes sure that the packages gets routed to the right PC or other device.

Then the reason for you being able to connect directly to your modem is because the IP address send to you from you internet provider will just get forward to the PC hocked directly up to the modem, and there is no problem then.

Then now I've reached the part of my telling where i tell why a layer 2 switch can cause problems, but first i should tell you one of the differences between layer 2 and layer 3.

A layer 2 switch is a device that has advanced ip adress routing just like a router does, but to use that it has to know what those IP's is, otherwise it won't know if it's PC1 or PC2 it needs to send the packages to, and that is what a DHCP controller does which a layer 3 switch has, but a layer 2 does not have. DHCP is what a router uses to allocate all

devices connected to it to a local area network so each device has it's own Local IP address to make sure it knows which device it needs to send the packages to.

And a layer 2 switch does not have that functionality, and that is why you can't just use a level 2 switch. And you would need to have a layer 3 switch to use DHCP controlling.

But if you want to and have a modem that supports DHCP it self, you will not have that problem, and will not need to have a second device using DHCP. Because you can use the modem as a router in it self, and that means a layer 2 switch is completely fine. But for that functionality to work you will have to have your modem set to a static IP address, that you need to pay extra to have. And it is the situation I'm in, i either have to pay for a static ip address, or purchase a layer 3 switch, but my question was what would be best.

And btw, this is not what i means by "I have plenty of time on my hands currently, so if you want me to i can explain how everything is setup from what i currently know, just ask."

I have a lot more to say into this subject, but that is if you choose and ask me to do it. But i will way for a time where i haven't been away for over 24 hours.

34 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

And now to the thing about something.

You are right, there is something that needs to be able to router the traffic properly, but at least where i live the standard of modems being deployed is able to do it, and a normal computer is also able to do it. It is build into the Ethernet controller in your pc, not a wireless car though, they need to have things like a router that can give them a local IP and give them an access point to actually have internet.

3 hours ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

Layer 3 switches can do pretty much the same thing as a normal router without wifi can, it can router the network traffic through your own local network and have every device get it's own IP address from 1 IP address that your IPS sends out.

And yes, the best option would be a gigabit router, but that is just not what i want. I already have a wifi router, and i pretty much don't use it so it would be a waste, but i still use it sometimes, just not enough to have a point of getting a wireless router, and it needs to be a wireless one because i sadly don't live alone.

But i still just want to have a layer 2 switch and it is possible to have it in that way, and the security does not matter for me. That's the same as i never use any kind of antivirus and I've never had a virus and i will never get a virus, because i can take popper care of my computer equipment, like most people can, but most people also like security.

Hackers will have a very fun time taking control of your computer if you connect before a firewall appliance. Even if you think you are secured, you are not. You talk like a network pro, but yet you are here asking people with moderate experience (no offence to you guys). I dont really think anyone here would recommend connecting your computer to the internet without a firewall. I own a proffessional hosting company, and I consider myself to be a network pro. The ONLY time I open servers to wan is for public vps traffic. Anything that could allow my servers to be hacked is behind a firewall/nat.

My native language is C++

Guys, other than tt2468, are getting your definitions wrong.

A router is something that routes packets from one network to another. If you want to send a packet from network A to network B, then you have to have a router between them. They do not do wifi

A switch is a device that can send packets from one device to another device

A modem takes the signal you get through your telephone and/or TV line and converts it into a standard Ethernet signal.

Consumer routers are actually routers and switches, all in one. Some of them also include a modem built in. When people say routers, they usually talk about the router/switch combo.

-  The Networking board's Frequently Asked Questions, Pre-answered! (LAwLz)

Access Point is a radios that deals with wifi.

1B/s = 8bps

1Mb/s = 8mbps

Data transfer is measured in bps.

For your situation, just upgrade your kit to gigabit.

Just to clear up what you are saying.

You can put a switch in front of (a) router(s)

And it would not be able to do your DHCP thing as it connected to your ISP's network.

(You could think of it like a street cabinet in your house, it splits the main pipe, limited by any physical speed limitations, not data speed caps as the switch does not have a subscription)

From that switch you can attach as many router (WAN port) or hosts as you want.

The thing is that all the these connections to the ISP's network need a subscription for ISP's network to let it connect. They will each get a different WAN IP as they are all different LANs/Connections.

These connections will be limited (to the lowest) by the subscription speed cap or a physical speed cap.

(Another way of having different LAN on the same router is VLANs. Another ways is to have the top router with other routers underneath controlling other subnets).

I have explained that really badly, sorry. I'm bad at explaining.

But i hopes it helps.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

11 hours ago, tt2468 said:

Hackers will have a very fun time taking control of your computer if you connect before a firewall appliance. Even if you think you are secured, you are not. You talk like a network pro, but yet you are here asking people with moderate experience (no offence to you guys). I dont really think anyone here would recommend connecting your computer to the internet without a firewall. I own a proffessional hosting company, and I consider myself to be a network pro. The ONLY time I open servers to wan is for public vps traffic. Anything that could allow my servers to be hacked is behind a firewall/nat.

I don't think you know my situation, and you didn't even read what i was talking about.

First of all, security is not a priority, and i don't care about. My own security is good enough for me,and i don't need anything else. No one else is going to even try getting inside my PC  if i take time and think of everything i do, and i am doing that. So security is not a priority.

If you want to when i have set it up in that way, go right5 ahead. Hack me if you want to, i don't care. And if you really try you can. And you know what, even though i had a router between me and the modem, yes you guessed it, if a hacker wanted to, he could easily get into my pc anyway, so that part doesn't matter for me.

And second of all, I'm not asking about security, and i weren't asking people with moderate levels of knowledge, no. I am already set for that I'm going to get a switch, and I'm going to try and set it up in that way, but is one way or the other better (In your opinion). Not a second third thing where the answer is "Don't at all do it, just stop right now".

And also asked if you need your modem need to have a static IP address for port forwarding.

That were my questions, and has nothing to do with all the extra text that has come onto this topic.

And if you can't understand the question of the topic, don't come in here and answer it, because you think in a way that isn't helpful at all.

If you want to answer someones question in a topic, don't answer, but not answer the question of the topic. Because all you just said is something that i am fully aware of, but it's no difference from having a router between you somewhat. It does make a little difference, but not that much. And i know it's not a good way of setting it up.

And i know it's actually a bad way, and that i should do it, but that doesn't change my mind from doing it. I am the only one in my house who is going to have the persons devices connected to the switch, and i even said to my mother when talking to her about it "I don't think it would be a good idea for you to also be connected up to the switch, mainly

because of the little extra security it can give". And i directly said that to her just in my own language.

And I'm not going to have servers open, and I'm not going to have those servers behind something. And if I'm at some point going to open a server it would be a game server, that I open up for a short period of time, and only specific people will get the IP the need to connect to it. And you know what, if i truly wanted that security but i also wanted a switch, i can just go and buy that layer 3 switch that I'm talking about, but i would rather not.

52 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

Guys, other than tt2468, are getting your definitions wrong.

A router is something that routes packets from one network to another. If you want to send a packet from network A to network B, then you have to have a router between them. They do not do wifi

A switch is a device that can send packets from one device to another device

A modem takes the signal you get through your telephone and/or TV line and converts it into a standard Ethernet signal.

Consumer routers are actually routers and switches, all in one. Some of them also include a modem built in. When people say routers, they usually talk about the router/switch combo.

-  The Networking board's Frequently Asked Questions, Pre-answered! (LAwLz)

Access Point is a radios that deals with wifi.

1B/s = 8bps

1Mb/s = 8mbps

Data transfer is measured in bps.

For your situation, just upgrade your kit to gigabit.

Just to clear up what you are saying.

You can put a switch in front of (a) router(s)

And it would not be able to do your DHCP thing as it connected to your ISP's network.

(You could think of it like a street cabinet in your house, it splits the main pipe, limited by any physical speed limitations, not data speed caps as the switch does not have a subscription)

From that switch you can attach as many router (WAN port) or hosts as you want.

The thing is that all the these connections to the ISP's network need a subscription for ISP's network to let it connect. They will each get a different WAN IP as they are all different LANs/Connections.

These connections will be limited (to the lowest) by the subscription speed cap or a physical speed cap.

(Another way of having different LAN on the same router is VLANs. Another ways is to have the top router with other routers underneath controlling other subnets).

I have explained that really badly, sorry. I'm bad at explaining.

But i hopes it helps.

First of all, yes i know I'm getting the definitions wrong, but i was trying to explain what i was explaining in a simple way so more people would be able to understand it.

Example, your router gives every device connected to it and IP address, and that IP is only a local address, and it's your router that knows it.

But yeah, i know. I was trying my best and i had not slept for around 37 hours at that point which doesn't make it better.

And yes, a switch is a device that can send packages from one device to another, and one of those devices can also be a modem. That is if you setup the modem and the switch and devices connected to it in the right way.

And yes the normal modem that is a standard across the world, yes it does take the signal though your telephone and/or tv line and converts it to a standard Ethernet signal.

But we have fiber net which means everything that way comes from our ISP and then to our modem. The reason in my case that security is even less of a problem, is because out modem, is a router. But it's a modem. If i wanted to, i can live in this house without a router, because our Modem has a router build into it, so therefore i do not loose any security as well. So in my situation it is not needed to have a router, which means i can easily get a switch to work before the actual router, and I'm going to do that.

And yes i can but a switch in front of the router, and it will be able to do DHCP control, but it has to be a layer 3 switch. But in my situation, my modem is capable of DHCP controlling which means i don't need a layer 3 switch, just a layer 2 switch, but i will have to change some settings of the modem for it to work. And for DHCP to work you need the device to have a static IP address, and that is what i would need to pay our ISP to do. But i can.

Then my question was, should i go with layer 2 switch and just deal with the things i need to change, or should i go with a layer 3 switch and just connect it up but pay a little more for the switch.

And then my question was also, do you need a static IP address for your modem to be able to port forward through it, from my knowledge you do need to have a static IP address for it to work. Just like your router needs a static IP address to port forward your router. You can do it with a dynamic IP for your router, but it's a pain in the ass.

And yes after plugging the layer 2 switch into the router, i can connect as many (WAN port(s)) as i want to, but they each need a subscription from my ISP but that is where a layer 3 switch comes in place, if i connect a layer 3 switch it will be able to do DHCP and that means in short that i don't need more than 1 subscription for the switch.

And you know what, DHCP is exactly what a router uses to have multiple devices connected to it but on one subscription.

But thank you for you look on it, but i already know all of it. Though it might help other people than me, now I've also spend a shit load of time figuring all those things out, and not everyone else has that.

28 minutes ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

I don't think you know my situation, and you didn't even read what i was talking about.

First of all, security is not a priority, and i don't care about. My own security is good enough for me,and i don't need anything else. No one else is going to even try getting inside my PC  if i take time and think of everything i do, and i am doing that. So security is not a priority.

If you want to when i have set it up in that way, go right5 ahead. Hack me if you want to, i don't care. And if you really try you can. And you know what, even though i had a router between me and the modem, yes you guessed it, if a hacker wanted to, he could easily get into my pc anyway, so that part doesn't matter for me.

And second of all, I'm not asking about security, and i weren't asking people with moderate levels of knowledge, no. I am already set for that I'm going to get a switch, and I'm going to try and set it up in that way, but is one way or the other better (In your opinion). Not a second third thing where the answer is "Don't at all do it, just stop right now".

And also asked if you need your modem need to have a static IP address for port forwarding.

That were my questions, and has nothing to do with all the extra text that has come onto this topic.

And if you can't understand the question of the topic, don't come in here and answer it, because you think in a way that isn't helpful at all.

If you want to answer someones question in a topic, don't answer, but not answer the question of the topic. Because all you just said is something that i am fully aware of, but it's no difference from having a router between you somewhat. It does make a little difference, but not that much. And i know it's not a good way of setting it up.

And i know it's actually a bad way, and that i should do it, but that doesn't change my mind from doing it. I am the only one in my house who is going to have the persons devices connected to the switch, and i even said to my mother when talking to her about it "I don't think it would be a good idea for you to also be connected up to the switch, mainly

because of the little extra security it can give". And i directly said that to her just in my own language.

And I'm not going to have servers open, and I'm not going to have those servers behind something. And if I'm at some point going to open a server it would be a game server, that I open up for a short period of time, and only specific people will get the IP the need to connect to it. And you know what, if i truly wanted that security but i also wanted a switch, i can just go and buy that layer 3 switch that I'm talking about, but i would rather not.

Instead of using a switch then, I you could just get a router like the edgerouter x or something, and not configure any firewall rules. A switch is not designed to route. The edgerouter will give you true routing.

13 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Instead of using a switch then, I you could just get a router like the edgerouter x or something, and not configure any firewall rules. A switch is not designed to route. The edgerouter will give you true routing.

Look up what layer 1 layer 2 and layer 3 is, then you will now a layer 3 switch is designed to route connections. Because you know what, a router usually is layer 3, and if a buy a switch that is layer 3 it can do the same. A router is pretty much a switch, but usually with WiFi capabilities. So before you say that a switch is not build to router, learn about layer 1,2 and 3. And layer 3 switches do exist. The one I'm going to purchase of layer 3 switches would be the TP-Link TL-SG108E, and that is a layer 3 switch. And that is the same as a router that doesn't have WiFi capabilities. But if I'm going with a layer 2 switch I'm going for the TL-SG108 non E version.

So before saying something about what a switch is build for, learn about what a switch is, and what types of switches there is. And don't forget to learn about layers. Spoiler There is 5 common layers, and routers run on layer 3, just like some switches does.

11 hours ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

Look up what layer 1 layer 2 and layer 3 is, then you will now a layer 3 switch is designed to route connections. Because you know what, a router usually is layer 3, and if a buy a switch that is layer 3 it can do the same. A router is pretty much a switch, but usually with WiFi capabilities. So before you say that a switch is not build to router, learn about layer 1,2 and 3. And layer 3 switches do exist. The one I'm going to purchase of layer 3 switches would be the TP-Link TL-SG108E, and that is a layer 3 switch. And that is the same as a router that doesn't have WiFi capabilities. But if I'm going with a layer 2 switch I'm going for the TL-SG108 non E version.

So before saying something about what a switch is build for, learn about what a switch is, and what types of switches there is. And don't forget to learn about layers. Spoiler There is 5 common layers, and routers run on layer 3, just like some switches does.

k den

We will see if that switch can properly route traffic like a device that's sole function is to route.

@Mr.Lonewalker

Read your other topic (most of it as it's long as hell like this one), enabling the inbuilt routing function of the modem gives you a setup that is similar to other countries that use ADSL internet connection types. We generally only have one device that is the ADSL Modem/Router/Switch, not all have inbuilt wireless but generally they do, my Draytek Vigor 120 for example does not but I got this device specially as it supports PPPoE to PPPoA half bridge mode so I can connect it to my FortiGate so my public IP is on the firewall not the modem/router.

If you enable the routing/NAT function of the modem then a static IP is not required, generally speaking since I don't know how your ISP does it's setup. This also means you don't need a layer 3 switch. If the modem/router has an external interface with the public IP address and an internal interface with a private IP address then this is all you require for basic operation, adding a layer 2 switch will work but as you already mentioned DHCP is your issue, if the modem does not have this.

It is also very important to know the difference between a router and a layer 3 switch that has routing functions, they are not the same. A layer 3 switch is designed for internal networking and is unsecured by default, often has no NAT functionality and has no firewall functionality (ACLs are not equivalent). Layer 3 switches are not designed for internet demarcation and should not be used even though technically it will work. As @tt2468 mentioned you are better off with an edgerouter X or edgerouter lite, but even then a basic Linksys router/modem is a good choice and simpler to configure. Most people improperly configure the edgerouter products and leave them extremely unsecured, much like a layer 3 switch.

Also the TP-Link TL-SG108E is not a layer 3 switch, none of the features on the spec sheet are layer 3 and it does not say layer 3 anywhere in the product documentation. It is a manged switch that supports VLANs, which is a layer 2 function. An example of a basic layer 3 switch would be my Cisco SG300 which supports static routing only, not RIPv2/OSPF/BGP etc.

I have to say you are making this more complicated than it needs to be, just buy a new Linksys/Netgear 4-8 port home router to replace your current Cisco Linksys E2500.

P.S. The OSI model has 7 layers not 5, lumping the top 3 together isn't good practice as the difference between layer 5 and 6-7 is very important.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

@Mr.Lonewalker

Read your other topic (most of it as it's long as hell like this one), enabling the inbuilt routing function of the modem gives you a setup that is similar to other countries that use ADSL internet connection types. We generally only have one device that is the ADSL Modem/Router/Switch, not all have inbuilt wireless but generally they do, my Draytek Vigor 120 for example does not but I got this device specially as it supports PPPoE to PPPoA half bridge mode so I can connect it to my FortiGate so my public IP is on the firewall not the modem/router.

If you enable the routing/NAT function of the modem then a static IP is not required, generally speaking since I don't know how your ISP does it's setup. This also means you don't need a layer 3 switch. If the modem/router has an external interface with the public IP address and an internal interface with a private IP address then this is all you require for basic operation, adding a layer 2 switch will work but as you already mentioned DHCP is your issue, if the modem does not have this.

It is also very important to know the difference between a router and a layer 3 switch that has routing functions, they are not the same. A layer 3 switch is designed for internal networking and is unsecured by default, often has no NAT functionality and has no firewall functionality (ACLs are not equivalent). Layer 3 switches are not designed for internet demarcation and should not be used even though technically it will work. As @tt2468 mentioned you are better off with an edgerouter X or edgerouter lite, but even then a basic Linksys router/modem is a good choice and simpler to configure. Most people improperly configure the edgerouter products and leave them extremely unsecured, much like a layer 3 switch.

Also the TP-Link TL-SG108E is not a layer 3 switch, none of the features on the spec sheet are layer 3 and it does not say layer 3 anywhere in the product documentation. It is a manged switch that supports VLANs, which is a layer 2 function. An example of a basic layer 3 switch would be my Cisco SG300 which supports static routing only, not RIPv2/OSPF/BGP etc.

I have to say you are making this more complicated than it needs to be, just buy a new Linksys/Netgear 4-8 port home router to replace your current Cisco Linksys E2500.

P.S. The OSI model has 7 layers not 5, lumping the top 3 together isn't good practice as the difference between layer 5 and 6-7 is very important.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

First of all, thank you for a person with proper knowledge letting me know this, this was exactly what i was looking for when posting on this forum, thank you.

Second of all, i know I'm doing it more complicated than it needs to be, but the thing is, i want to try it that way, and i currently live with my mother. And if we would need another router she is the one that needs to buy it, and that will mean usually it won't happened the next 6 months, so therefore a cheaper device is better in my situation, and i still want a switch to future stuff, but i don't want to purchase the more advanced ones with software included, and web browser interface and stuff like that, just want a simple plug and play switch. And i personally have more use for a switch that a router in the future.

And thanks for telling that the OSI model has 7 layers, that means that the source i found on it, was uninformative, and not good enough.

And if my mother will purchase a new router, then i will choose WRT1900ACS. But she won't buy a new router. So if a new router should come in place it will be me that needs to buy it, and that for myself is a waste of money if i can just setup the modem a little bit and have a switch which i will also be able to use in the future.

But thank you, now i know a little more, I'm glad. I hate to be uninformed about stuff, so i love learning about these things. Thanks ;)

3 hours ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

@leadeater If you want some information about our modem, just in case something.

http://www.alternetivo.cz/img.asp?attid=125313

Here is a link to an online pdf file, and if you just want to know what model is it, it's an Icotera IGW2000

I understand you don't get direct access to the IGW2000? It's actually a very nice piece of equipment and you could configure something rather nice with it.

If you got your ISP to turn on the router and DHCP functionally and create a new VLAN interface on one of the ports you could still buy the TP-Link TL-SG108E and have your own network that you are free to configure how ever you want. The other option is to get them to create a virtual router instance using the VRF feature. I would give them a call and see how helpful they can be.

Just now, leadeater said:

I understand you don't get direct access to the IGW2000? It's actually a very nice piece of equipment and you could configure something rather nice with it.

If you got your ISP to turn on the router and DHCP functionally and create a new VLAN interface on one of the ports you could still buy the TP-Link TL-SG108E and have your own network that you are free to configure how ever you want. The other option is to get them to create a virtual router instance using the VRF feature. I would give them a call and see how helpful they can be.

@leadeater

Here the other day i actually called them, and talked to them about the switch, and they said that it would work.

So i they might actually be a little bit of help.

But the thing is, as you know, i don't have exactly direct access, but my ISP makes it so easy for me to get it. I just have to go to their web site and turn it on, and then i will be able to go into the modem via my browser, and configure it, at least from my current knowledge.

But I've though about it, and am i right that i can go with the TP-Link TL-SG108 without the E? because that is what i actually want to do.

And then later today when I'm able to contact them I'm also going to ask if they can come and deliver a free router upgrade, mainly because currently we/my mothers company pays for a faster connection than what we actually are getting, and that would mean that our ISP should give that out for free, that is if we can argue for it, and i should be able to do that.

But before i go ahead and purchase either the SG108 or the SG108E i will test something, that is if my mother will allow me to do it. Mainly because i have no access what so ever to our ISP other than over the phone, and no information about any numbers or passwords to change how our subscription is, and i won't get that so she will have to do a little too. And shes not secure about any changes what so ever when it comes to our internet, and i still try to explain that if i port forward nothing will happened to her stuff, and other things like that, but she wont let me do that, another thing is that for me being able to port forward i would need to DMZ or something and I'm not sure about that, but don't worry.

But when the modem gets it's router capabilities enabled the only thing i would need to do is to go in and configure it my self, and that i should be able to do ;)

Hopefully we can get a new router for free, and hopefully i will be able to use the switch before the router, and if not. I have a use for it for my own devices and can use it anyway so it wont go to waste, and who knows when you can be needing a switch. So i might purchase the SG108 and the SG105 so i have the SG105 to take with me around different places.

@leadeater @tt2468 @mcraftax @CostcoSamples @RezidentSeagull I have come down to a completely different way of tackling this mission set upon me, no who am i kidding. I called the tech support for my ISP and said to them "I pay for a 150 connection, and my router is only capable of 100" and then now they are sending a Gigabit router for free. Though i'm still going to purchase a switch, unless i need money for games ;) #GameCollector

On 7/20/2016 at 6:59 AM, Mr.Lonewalker said:

I'm glad things worked out for you in the end! While what you were intending to do originally with the switch was, frankly, an overly complicated solution to an easy problem, I gotta give you props for not being afraid to try some thing new and explore alternatives.

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

3 hours ago, RezidentSeagull said:

I'm glad things worked out for you in the end! While what you were intending to do originally with the switch was, frankly, an overly complicated solution to an easy problem, I gotta give you props for not being afraid to try some thing new and explore alternatives.

I love trying new things and testing technology until it almost breaks. And sometimes it even breaks, but testing and figuring out how things work is what i love to do.

The switch thing i wanted to do for 2 reasons, 1 i didn't want to purchase a new router and 2 i wanted to try to see how it works that way, and what you need to do for it to work so i also know how that works before i go further with my life. Knowledge is key to this world, i love to search for it.

But i'm still going to buy that switch, and then i'm going to put it in my room. I have a 30 meter Ethernet cable going from the router to my pc, and there is something in the wall in the side that the router is on of my room, that specific wall kills any wireless connecting you have. If you stand besides it, you can't even get 3G properly, and it's a very low and extremely unstable connection. And then if you walk like 3-4 meters away from the wall, you can get a constant and very stable 4G connection. 

So yeah, that switch will be going in my room so i'm able to have multiple devices connected directly. And also so i can soon make my own little Gigabit storage server just for me.