How do you deal with Depression?

Note: I'm not sure if this infringes on any Community Standards or Off-Topic Posting Guidelines, but I did my due diligence go through both threads to see if such a topic is prohibited. That being said, if any of the Moderators or Administrators feel that this thread is getting out of control or is a thread that should exist on the LTT Forum, be my guest to shut it down.

I guess I'll start with some background information. Since late Elementary School (or Grade School for some of you), I was sort an outsider. Even though in class my relationship with my peers was just like anyone else, outside of the classroom was a different story. I would always be the one awkwardly in a conversation about a party or social event where I was the only one who wasn't invited. I thought this would change in High School because it was somewhat of a fresh start. New people means new experiences right? It wasn't to be. All of my closest mates resided in adjacent cities and so was my girlfriend at the time. Although we kept each others' head above the water, it wasn't clearly something that was sustainable for more than a few years. And surely that's what happened. At the end of my first year of University, the long-distance relationship fell apart and my girlfriend and I broke up on negative vibes after two years together. Never even went on a single date, only meet during a couple of socials held by our organization. At the end my second year, although I was able transfer to the faculty of my dreams, something was surely missing. I've basically fallen off of the face of the earth for the person that used to see me as her little brother and who I saw as my big sister. She's onto bigger and better things with the colleagues within her own faculty of the rival school for my institution. And while I have made new colleagues in University, fairly little has changed compared to my rough time in High School.

I've been trying new things to keep my mind off things like biking and working out. But it's gotten to the point where even those activities are loosing their effectiveness. Even more pressure is starting to mount after just being promoted to 2LT in my organization, and having my senior years just around the corner. What do you guys do to deal with your personal hurdles? Do you have any special techniques?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Dealt with similar stuff myself. I did seek professional help a couple of times it's just that help didn't help all that much for me. This is going to sound horrible but I basically did nothing...I just sorta got used to being pretty much a full blown loner: Today I do have some friends including  a very good friend I see frequently but briefly and I have kind of a steady job and a small enterprise I'm undertaking but other than that it's mostly the full extend of my social interactions.

I believe that society sometimes pressures us (for good reasons we're social beings) to put ourselves in uncomfortable situations but some people are just naturally more independent and thus enjoy company but not everything else that comes along with it, if that makes any sense.

I do recommend you try professional help I know it does helps many people even if it's not perfect for everyone you'd loose nothing by trying at least.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Having a job that I get up for every day. I work 9 to 5 every day bar Sundays. It really helps me get into a schedule because I have something to get up for.

If you're in university, try and get a job. Beggars can't be choosers so even if it's in a shop or McDonald's it's better than nothing.

You already have done the first and most important step: talking about your problems. As far as my experiences go talking about it really helps alot, no matter if to friends or on the internet.

Other then that I would definitely advise you to seek professional help.

If you have any specific questions you can definitely ask me or others like the Depression Army on Twitter (members can be identified by the "DA" logo on their profile pic)

I too was an outsider, socially inept.  Still mostly am.

Then I grew up and became comfortable with myself.  The only person in life that you have to please is yourself.

I'm in a long-term relationship, closing in on 12 years.  We've had our differences over the years but I never once allowed the core of my being to be questioned or altered.

I find it comes and goes in waves, when I'm stressing about money, depression is worse.

At then end of the day, I try to remember to thank God for all the wonderful things I have in my life.  My faith isn't the center of my life and I'm not part of any orginized religion.  I find believing we were designed makes it easier to deal with my own flaws, because then they have a purpose even if I can't see it.

Depression is a tough subject, sometimes a simple solution is... toughen up.

Keep yourself busy and social interaction with others.

I fight it. Do the opposite of what you feel, because it isn't about feelings. It's hard, I know. Sometimes I fall for it, and sometimes I let it over take me. Even in times it's out of my control, and it's people who bring depression to me. You lift yourself up, and if you can't, know this, Jesus is for you, and He's there for you. When times get hard for me, I pray.

There's nothing else I can do. I just know, the more I grow, and learn to overcome, the more I'll become stronger. Those things that once affected me, won't affect me again on the same level it use too. If you let it beat you down now, what will happen later when it comes again? Stand up, and fight it head on. Do the opposite of what you feel. When you feel sad, you exert joy by singing. When you feel low, you go out and be loving to others. When you feel overcomed, know that God who holds you is with you.

get professional help and a daily schedule.  

even a pet can help immensely.

a dog will force you to go outside, for example, and interact with other people.

then you have someone who can get you out of the hole.

dogs arent mans best friend for nothing.

what are your hobbies? are there places you can go to with people with similar interests?

in case you seek professional help: try different therapist until you find one you can trust and who understands you.

One idea is to find online communities. LTT is great, but also find a group that plays multiplayer games together. Or a group IRL to play card/board games with. Create a routine. Some parts of my daily routine are Watching Linus Tech Tips, Good Mythical Morning and other regular video/streaming creators without too much negative drama and with loyal fanbases. I like to add things to my daily routine that give me the feeling that by doing said things I make the world a better place. Have a pet, probably not something too exotic: cat, dog, rabbit/ other kind of social rodent. Keep a journal with an entry for every day of your life. I'd like to think by having a journal it might tell people from the future my story. Any other hobby you can think of with a community around it to join.

I'm still improving but I find it crucial to stay busy, go outside and get the ray ray everyday, sweat a little. I still fall behind and have vegetative days, but they are less and less cause I'm learning that I feel so nasty and more depressed afterward. So limit your PC and indoor time! Also force a consistent sleep schedule. I'm still working on the friend part though...

On 18 July 2016 at 8:17 AM, Misanthrope said:

I believe that society sometimes pressures us (for good reasons we're social beings) to put ourselves in uncomfortable situations but some people are just naturally more independent and thus enjoy company but not everything else that comes along with it, if that makes any sense.

That is so me.... I prefer to be alone. But at the same time I felt lonely. 

I think it is an inevitable thing isn't it?

OP i think that having one or two very close friend is much more important than having a lot of "people you know at the party ".

From my personal experience, finding that one or two friends is super hard. It takes time to build up friendship, also you guys have to have some sort of mutual experiences in life. You don't approach people who is having a great time of their life to complain about your difficulties. Because they won't listen. We all will meet a few people in our life just accept who we are, no matter whether we are rich or poor, pretty or ugly. We will meet them, its just take time, and once we meet them, none of the hardship we've gone through matters anymore. Those hard days are all tolerable. 

My best friend and I , we were facing some difficulties, especially during these 2,3 years. We both used to study abroad, now we are back to our own country, and none of us can cope with it anymore. Not even mention that our parents do not really understand what happened to us, his parents even got mad because he "does not love his hometown anymore". You don't change your lifestyle over the past 8 years within a week. No one can do that. So in order to deal with this, he ran away with his girlfriend. I am stucking at home coz I have to go through some sort of medical treatment. I am in the extremely difficult position right now. And it had been a year and a half. It drives me crazy. 

Sorry for all the mumble jumble, I also need to vent it out. Also it is an indicator that tells you that when it comes to dealing with these kind of things, a lot of people are having the same issue as you do. You are not alone out here. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

8 hours ago, Marlfox said:

I'm still improving but I find it crucial to stay busy, go outside and get the ray ray everyday, sweat a little. I still fall behind and have vegetative days, but they are less and less cause I'm learning that I feel so nasty and more depressed afterward. So limit your PC and indoor time! Also force a consistent sleep schedule. I'm still working on the friend part though...

Hey, first of all, welcome to the forum. 

Second of all congrats man, not a lot of people know what they need to do, and how to do it. 

And you are doing it , according to your own timetable. 

That shows strength as well as resilience. 

Hope you will meet the people you like soon.

And also don't pressure yourself too much, sometimes have a little drink and just netflix and chill is nothing wrong to do.xD 

Listen to music.

Cry.

Play games.

Cry more.

Eat.

Be pissed off.

Sleep.

Repeat.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

11 hours ago, apm said:

in case you seek professional help: try different therapist until you find one you can trust and who understands you.

You are absolutely right about that one.

6 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

That is so me.... I prefer to be alone. But at the same time I felt lonely. 

I think it is an inevitable thing isn't it?

This basically describes me.

I don't like being around people, but I always want someone around me.

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

Sex.

Masturbation.

Lift.

Masturbation.

Eat.

Game.

Move

Music

Sex.

Masturbation.

E7-8890 V3 x2 , 12TB DDR4 @ 1866, Quadro K6000's + 2x GTX 1080's.

Just now, Tom Hanks said:

Sex.

Masturbation.

Lift.

Masturbation.

Eat.

Game.

Move

Music

Sex.

Masturbation.

Sex solves everything, except when you can't have it lol