Time Warner Cable Router (Ubee) has SERIOUS issues

Derpologist

Greetings!

I recently upgraded from shitty DSL (all that was available where I live) to time warner cable, which was a great upgrade. I figured that I would just use the included modem router combo, until our family finishes the addition onto our house (in about 6 months), where I will be re-doing all of the networking in the whole house, and thus buying new gear. 

For the past few months, the Ubee included modem/router combo has been fine up until about a week ago. My daily devices are an LG G4, and a 15" Macbook Pro W/ Retina Display. The other devices in my family are two iphones, another macbook, and an ipad. 

Now back to the issue on my laptop with the router. Out of the blue (no settings changed), every 5 minutes, the internet connection drops on my laptop, but not my phone. My laptop still shows that I am connected to the wifi network, however the connection isnt actually connected to the internet. I have to close out of what I am doing and turn the wifi on my laptop off, and then turn it back on. Every. 5. Minutes.

Just imagine how hard it is for me to get work done, its awful. I figure that a new router would fix this, however I want to see if theres any thing I can do with what I have?

I've already called Time Warner, and they did some 'remote fixing shit', which worked for about an hour. I also tried making a new location in the network settings on my laptop, still nothing. 

Any ideas?

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

4 hours ago, Derpologist said:

Greetings!

I recently upgraded from shitty DSL (all that was available where I live) to time warner cable, which was a great upgrade. I figured that I would just use the included modem router combo, until our family finishes the addition onto our house (in about 6 months), where I will be re-doing all of the networking in the whole house, and thus buying new gear. 

For the past few months, the Ubee included modem/router combo has been fine up until about a week ago. My daily devices are an LG G4, and a 15" Macbook Pro W/ Retina Display. The other devices in my family are two iphones, another macbook, and an ipad. 

Now back to the issue on my laptop with the router. Out of the blue (no settings changed), every 5 minutes, the internet connection drops on my laptop, but not my phone. My laptop still shows that I am connected to the wifi network, however the connection isnt actually connected to the internet. I have to close out of what I am doing and turn the wifi on my laptop off, and then turn it back on. Every. 5. Minutes.

Just imagine how hard it is for me to get work done, its awful. I figure that a new router would fix this, however I want to see if theres any thing I can do with what I have?

I've already called Time Warner, and they did some 'remote fixing shit', which worked for about an hour. I also tried making a new location in the network settings on my laptop, still nothing. 

Any ideas?

Yea, get a new router and modem. TWC always chooses crappy low price hardware. I would recommend getting an Arris Surfboard with whatever the kids nowadays use for a router. I think the AC66u is popular and good. I don't work with consumer networking much anymore, so I couldn't tell you what is a good consumer router anymore.

My native language is C++