New to gaming and PC builds

Quezy

Hello Community!

I find myself here after watching one of the videos on youtube and I am hoping to get some direction. Recently, I picked up the hobby of online gaming. So far I have had a blast and I find myself really enjoying FPS games such as battlefield, CoD, and so on. My first problem is that I know very little about computer hardware and specifications. I can for the most part put together a basic PC and install an operating system. I would really like to put together a new rig for gaming and spend around $1000-$1500. Cost is not so much as issue, its what to spend it on that baffles me. I have been trying to study up on hardware, but most of the stuff I find is a few leaps ahead of where I currently am, so some confusion does creep in. So here is where I am looking for some help.

1. Where can I start at a basic level to learn all I can about PCs, hardware, and PC gaming in general? (ie Websites, books, I will study just about anything)

2. What hardware combinations should I use on my new PC? I want to be able to max out BF4 and a few others games for say the next 12-24 months, after that I can build another one. I plan to spend around $1000-$1500, but could go as high as $6000. That just seems like a waste of cash though. I do not plan to overclock the cpu because I have no experience with overclocking at all. Besides gaming I will use it for emails, pictures, office, and a few odds and ends. 

If you take time to assist me let me start by saying thank you. Please list exact hardware, so that I may look it up and get a master list together. I will be happy to answer any additional questions that may be needed to clarify my wants/needs.  

Thanks in advance!

Quezy

Hello Community!

I find myself here after watching one of the videos on youtube and I am hoping to get some direction. Recently, I picked up the hobby of online gaming. So far I have had a blast and I find myself really enjoying FPS games such as battlefield, CoD, and so on. My first problem is that I know very little about computer hardware and specifications. I can for the most part put together a basic PC and install an operating system. I would really like to put together a new rig for gaming and spend around $1000-$1500. Cost is not so much as issue, its what to spend it on that baffles me. I have been trying to study up on hardware, but most of the stuff I find is a few leaps ahead of where I currently am, so some confusion does creep in. So here is where I am looking for some help.

1. Where can I start at a basic level to learn all I can about PCs, hardware, and PC gaming in general? (ie Websites, books, I will study just about anything)

2. What hardware combinations should I use on my new PC? I want to be able to max out BF4 and a few others games for say the next 12-24 months, after that I can build another one. I plan to spend around $1000-$1500, but could go as high as $6000. That just seems like a waste of cash though. I do not plan to overclock the cpu because I have no experience with overclocking at all. Besides gaming I will use it for emails, pictures, office, and a few odds and ends. 

If you take time to assist me let me start by saying thank you. Please list exact hardware, so that I may look it up and get a master list together. I will be happy to answer any additional questions that may be needed to clarify my wants/needs.  

Thanks in advance!

Quezy

Welcome to the forum.

pcpartpicker.com Use this site to make a pc build. 

Do you need any os or peripherials?:)

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

#1 - This website is a good place. You can start by reading, reading, reading, look at what people recommand, and you'll learn some things. There are some 'hardware tutorials', telling you what to look for in a CPU, GPU, etc, but it's getting outdated quickly. Looking at an active forum like this one is the way to go. You can also subscribe to tech channels and watch the videos. 

#2 - For 1500$ you can get something that will max your BF4 and other games.The thing with a first gaming PC is that you will spend a lot on periphericals. If you have the money for it, you should definitely get a good mechanical keyboard (anywhere from 70$ to 200$+), a gaming mouse (50$ to 100$ roughly), a good headset/headphones (100$+), one or more monitors, etc.

A good 1080p 22'' IPS monitor will cost around 150$. If you want to go crazy, a 27'' 1440p IPS is awesome, but it costs around 550-600$ at least. 

For 1200-1400$ (PC only), you can get a 4670K and R9-290X (that's assuming the price will be at around 700$), but if you want to save money a R9-280X would do fine too. 

And don't say ' I do not plan to overclock the cpu because I have no experience with overclocking at all', how are you suppose to gain experience if you never try it? ;)

Overclocking is very easy to do and not doing it would be a waste IMO. You can get the 4670 and save like 10-20$, but you'll regret it soon enough.

I can make you a components list on PcPartsPickers if you want to, but I'm sure someone else will do that very soon :P

Read the forums more, read all the FAQ's, and hang around the other build logs and planning section.

Use PCpartpicker once you get an idea of how to build and the things that other people use and why. Pay attention to the changes in other builds that people suggest and for what reasons.

Don't go blowing 6k on a new desktop. Sweet spot for a new computer is around 1.2-2k tops.

Overclocking is extremely simple especially with quality parts, once you read the forums enough and do more reading you'll be able to do it easily enough. Getting into advanced overclocking is a bit more work, but processor only and GPU overclocks can be explained in as little as a few paragraphs or a FAQ guide.

Error: 410

Read the forums more, read all the FAQ's, and hang around the other build logs and planning section.

Use PCpartpicker once you get an idea of how to build and the things that other people use and why. Pay attention to the changes in other builds that people suggest and for what reasons.

Don't go blowing 6k on a new desktop. Sweet spot for a new computer is around 1.2-2k tops.

I started with 2 k in mind but after i was done,it ended up about 4800 dollars.

Yea that definitely is not necessary for desktop-only

Error: 410

If you want to max today's and upcoming games, 2000$ MAX should be plenty. If you ended up spending 4800$, then you added a lot of things that didn't bring any performance increase, like a custom WC loop and other stuff. 

You shouldn't have to spend more than 1800-2000$. Unless you want six 1440p IPS right off the bat?

We all get carried away when picking parts, often have to refocus on what truly gives good valued performance and live with it.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

with all the peripherials and wc ?

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

If you want to max today's and upcoming games, 2000$ MAX should be plenty. If you ended up spending 4800$, then you added a lot of things that didn't bring any performance increase, like a custom WC loop and other stuff. 

You shouldn't have to spend more than 1800-2000$. Unless you want six 1440p IPS right off the bat?

Im talking the whole chipotle...new desk, 3 expensive monitors...u name it i bought it.

Im talking the whole chipotle...new desk, 3 expensive monitors...u name it i bought it.

What's the part list exactly? Even with a desk and three expensive monitors, it's tough to spend that much. 

Anyways, @Quezy don't be afraid lol, if you plan it right you won't have to spend nearly that kind of money to have something that will max games for a good time :)

Others are covering everything I would say so I will just add. Welcome to the forums! :)

What's the part list exactly? Even with a desk and three expensive monitors, it's tough to spend that much. 

Anyways, @Quezy don't be afraid lol, if you plan it right you won't have to spend nearly that kind of money to have something that will max games for a good time :)

All high end stuff.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

and pc part picker.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/ is for learning.

read logical increnemnts and this:

For each action the computer has to complete, a group of parts in the computer ( such as HDD-RAM-CPU ) have to work together. the one that takes the most time to complete its job, is responsible for the action not being any faster.

So for exemple, adding extra Ram quantity when its not required will not change anything whatsoever. ( Ram speed and bandwith may help)

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

All high end stuff.

I'm still curious, there's definitely a line between high end and total overkill =P

Welcome to the forum.

pcpartpicker.com Use this site to make a pc build. 

Do you need any os or peripherials? :)

I can use any OS and any peripherals you would recommend. I am mostly focusing on the actual PC at this point. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks in advance!

Quezy

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1L9DC

This http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CoolBeans_/saved/27ss would be a good build if you are playing at 1080P

In this buget you should get an i5 or i7, because either much I'd love AMD, intel is intel 

#1 - This website is a good place. You can start by reading, reading, reading, look at what people recommand, and you'll learn some things. There are some 'hardware tutorials', telling you what to look for in a CPU, GPU, etc, but it's getting outdated quickly. Looking at an active forum like this one is the way to go. You can also subscribe to tech channels and watch the videos. 

#2 - For 1500$ you can get something that will max your BF4 and other games.The thing with a first gaming PC is that you will spend a lot on periphericals. If you have the money for it, you should definitely get a good mechanical keyboard (anywhere from 70$ to 200$+), a gaming mouse (50$ to 100$ roughly), a good headset/headphones (100$+), one or more monitors, etc.

A good 1080p 22'' IPS monitor will cost around 150$. If you want to go crazy, a 27'' 1440p IPS is awesome, but it costs around 550-600$ at least. 

For 1200-1400$ (PC only), you can get a 4670K and R9-290X (that's assuming the price will be at around 700$), but if you want to save money a R9-280X would do fine too. 

And don't say ' I do not plan to overclock the cpu because I have no experience with overclocking at all', how are you suppose to gain experience if you never try it? ;)

Overclocking is very easy to do and not doing it would be a waste IMO. You can get the 4670 and save like 10-20$, but you'll regret it soon enough.

I can make you a components list on PcPartsPickers if you want to, but I'm sure someone else will do that very soon :P

Thank you! I just mentioned the OC because I was not sure if it would change the CPU that others would recommend. 

I'm still curious, there's definitely a line between high end and total overkill =P

Something like this is on  the edge :P

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Lab9

So 50-60$ more on the CPU for no performance benefit

I know that an fx83xx or even a 63xx are equal or sometimes beat an i5/i7 but http://cpu-comparison.whoratesit.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-FX-8-Core-Black-Edition/1538vs1489]

the benchmarks say other things and this annoys me. 

I think that fx processors are good in a <=1250$ build. anything over I would get intel. 

This is my opinion even If I love amd more than Intel

Lets just say i won a large sum of money,so money wasnt an issue.

Lets just say i won a large sum of money,so money wasnt an issue.

what celebrety did you killed? or what store did you robbed?

jk