New to gaming and PC builds

Quezy

what celebrety did you killed? or what store did you robbed?

jk

The lottery changed my life.

The lottery changed my life.

No shit??

How much?:D

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Enough to not need new friends... :D

Now I'm curoius

pm me please :o3

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Since he won't be overclocking, why is everyone putting in H100i? 

I decided to go with red/black theme (i think, went through quickly) 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Lbxk

i5 is good enough, no need for i7. Could even go with FX-8350.

Cooler isn't that important as he won't be overclocking, something such as Hyper 212 EVO looks good (imo at least) and will do a good job for non-OCed CPU

MoBo doesn't matter that much, can also swap that out for one of MSI's gaming series if you want to keep black/red theme

Ripjawz RAM are really cheap  and quite good (afaik) also they're red

I don't think more then 120GB SSD is necessary but if you need more just take more I guess

WD Black will be great, 2TB is plenty; add more if you need more. If you prefer Seagate or something just change it for that..

GTX780 is really good card and will do great for years to come, adding another one in SLI would be overkill (imo)

I didn't really take a look at any cases just chose a random corsair one.

for the PSU I took a 760W one in case you want to add another card. I chose platinum because I'd go with that for $2k builds but bronze+ is still good if you want that instead.

I also added a monitor, mouse and keyboard but that's completely up to you.

Case: Xigmatek Alfar (Black) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 @3.2GHz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600MHz | GFX: Gigabyte GTX 660Ti 2GB
Cooler: beQuiet! Shadow Rock | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | HDD: Seagate 'Barracuda' 2TB| OS: Windows 8.1 PRO (64-bit) | PSU: Zalman ZM600-GT 600W 80+ Bronze
 Screen: ASUS VS228 | Mouse: Razer Naga Molten | Headphones: Qpad QH-85 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 w/ Cherry MX Blue

Learn lots before ordering parts!

Videos to watch:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zOYdNEHDQo I watched an older version of this guy's guide to building a computer. Very complete, and kinda boring. I find it gives a good starting point to your "Learning PC hardware" journey though.

2) LinusTechTips for quick product overviews, OC3DTV for in depth looks

Current state of CPUs:

Intel is lower power, faster per core and more popular

AMD has more cores and has better integrated graphics in their APUs than Intel chips.

Current state of GPUs:

AMD is about to release new cards, so current ones are cheap. They also offer several free AAA games.

Nvidia released a new line a few months back, and has the Nvidia Shield it can stream to for handheld PC gaming.

Storage:

SSD - fast, no moving parts

HDD - Cheap, lots of space

Often a gaming PC will have an SSD for the OS and some games plus an HDD for extra storage.

Other stuff has much less importance to your computing experience.

Since he won't be overclocking, why is everyone putting in H100i? 

I decided to go with red/black theme (i think, went through quickly) 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Lbxk

i5 is good enough, no need for i7. Could even go with FX-8350.

Cooler isn't that important as he won't be overclocking, something such as Hyper 212 EVO looks good (imo at least) and will do a good job for non-OCed CPU

MoBo doesn't matter that much, can also swap that out for one of MSI's gaming series if you want to keep black/red theme

Ripjawz RAM are really cheap  and quite good (afaik) also they're red

I don't think more then 120GB SSD is necessary but if you need more just take more I guess

WD Black will be great, 2TB is plenty; add more if you need more. If you prefer Seagate or something just change it for that..

GTX780 is really good card and will do great for years to come, adding another one in SLI would be overkill (imo)

I didn't really take a look at any cases just chose a random corsair one.

for the PSU I took a 760W one in case you want to add another card. I chose platinum because I'd go with that for $2k builds but bronze+ is still good if you want that instead.

I also added a monitor, mouse and keyboard but that's completely up to you.

Awesome thank you so much!

Decide on a budget, then exceed it completely! and have fun doing it! Pcs aren't just for rich people, theyre also for poor people like me who will be broke just to run a game better : )

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Maybe 250 GB SSDs in RAID1? Or even 500, if money is no object. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

$1000 PC if you need room for OS and Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jl70l7u/saved/2uKr

$1500 PC if you already have all that stuff and wana max just your PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jl70l7u/saved/2uKs

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Awesome stuff. Keep the ideas coming!

I started with 2 k in mind but after i was done,it ended up about 4800 dollars.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

We all get carried away when picking parts, often have to refocus on what truly gives good valued performance and live with it.

Not all of us ;)

I can use any OS and any peripherals you would recommend. I am mostly focusing on the actual PC at this point. Thanks for the reply.

So what do you need? Everything? Anything you already have?

Awesome stuff. Keep the ideas coming!

Fyi, you need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Not all of us ;)

So what do you need? Everything? Anything you already have?

Fyi, you need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

I need everything!

I need everything!

That being said you should definitely give a more solid budget, If you're wanting to start from nothing i'd recommend a 2K system but if you'd like to save money you can definitely get away with 1,5K to 1250 fairly easily. The best thing to do if you're wanting to learn is not only look at all the systems that others put together but make you're own. I don't mean to be mean but everyone has their own allegiances, some people weigh the AMD vs. Intel battle where others will definitely try to save money vs. going totally overboard. 

To start i'd definitely give yourself a budget and go to PCPartsPicker.com and just start tinkering and PPP will tell you what parts go together/ any errors in building a system and a recommended wattage, then post it in the planned builds to get feedback. 

Other then that all you have to do is ask when you need help.

Good luck

L

CPU:i5-3570k OC'd to 4.0 MOBO: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: Asus 660Ti 2Gb OC Case: NZXT Source 210 Black and Windowed RAM: Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB Storage: WD 1TB Caviar Black, 3TB WD Green, 120GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler: CM TX3 PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W OS: Win 7 Perf: Corsair M65, Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Main with 17" Secondary, a Corsair K70, and ATH-M50's.

I need everything!

My recommendations: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Oygr

Crossfire ready.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thank you reading over it now!

1500$ build, buy nvidia + intel, rock an i74770k, you can overclock it IN THE FUTURE, you don't wanna be stuck with a locked if you might change your mind. Nivida is just better at the higher tier, if you're doing a budget build, then amd is your guy. As for a case, just get what looks sexy to you, and is durable/efficient for your cooling method, there's watercooling custom loops, there's prekit custom loops, there's all in one water cooling loops, and theirs air cooling. I'd reccomend going openloopable prebuilt AIO, therefore if you want to overclock, you can also add custom water cooling in the future, they're all optional, but don't drive your budget up much. As for a monitor, I'm a movie/anime diehardfanboy, so I watch tons of things on my pc, If you like the widescreen experience I'd reccomend an ultrawide by LG, 29", it's cheaper then 3 monitors, but still at the higher end, but gives a nice immersive experience. As for the audio, grab some LG speakers for 9$, won't kill you, doesn't sound bad, headset pick up A50's for 40$ on sale. keyboard, get a duckyshine 3, whatever switches, mouse has a LOT more preference, pick what you like. If you're doing shooters, a low dpi mouse, with a cloth pad is reccomended. So a throw away wired 10$ mouse works well for this, but get a lot of them, they break after a month or two. Motherboards, don't spend under 100 over 200, check for compatibility. Memory,ddr3 1866 9 9 9 11, is the sweet spot (Imo). If you know how to install an OS without optical drive do that, if not, pick one up for 15$, grab an SSD for a boot drive for 80$, I reccomend 840pro series. HDD, you've got seagate and wd, just pick one and role with it, if it's DOA it's not the end of the world just refund it, lastly but not least, powersupply, I like seasonic, mainly because other companies go to them to have thier psu build by them, so if you want what I consider the best in the business, pick up a 700watt platinum series for 120$. Casefans, if you're willing to push out an extra hundred or so, pick up some corsair quiet series or preformance series fans, If you want some light strips, get alchemy cables, they're like 7$. Most of the advice i've given you is sound, and what I'll be doing. Keep in mind everything comes down to preference, like the monitor will run about 600$, you could be fine wih a 120$, you might not want headphones, you might want good quality surround sound speakers. All up to you. Take it all with a grain of salt. Learn what you can from this and what other people tell you. I usually go for what the people in the tech industry trust and reccomend, and most of the brands I've listed are just that.

Btw, gpu, nvidia maxwell is releasing Q1 Jan, pick up an 870. 70 of any series is the price to preformance best in the nvidia line. 770 is better then 680 but cheaper. (I believe, i'm too sleepy to check)

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1500$ build, buy nvidia + intel, rock an i74770k, you can overclock it IN THE FUTURE, you don't wanna be stuck with a locked if you might change your mind. Nivida is just better at the higher tier, if you're doing a budget build, then amd is your guy. As for a case, just get what looks sexy to you, and is durable/efficient for your cooling method, there's watercooling custom loops, there's prekit custom loops, there's all in one water cooling loops, and theirs air cooling. I'd reccomend going openloopable prebuilt AIO, therefore if you want to overclock, you can also add custom water cooling in the future, they're all optional, but don't drive your budget up much. As for a monitor, I'm a movie/anime diehardfanboy, so I watch tons of things on my pc, If you like the widescreen experience I'd reccomend an ultrawide by LG, 29", it's cheaper then 3 monitors, but still at the higher end, but gives a nice immersive experience. As for the audio, grab some LG speakers for 9$, won't kill you, doesn't sound bad, headset pick up A50's for 40$ on sale. keyboard, get a duckyshine 3, whatever switches, mouse has a LOT more preference, pick what you like. If you're doing shooters, a low dpi mouse, with a cloth pad is reccomended. So a throw away wired 10$ mouse works well for this, but get a lot of them, they break after a month or two. Motherboards, don't spend under 100 over 200, check for compatibility. Memory,ddr3 1866 9 9 9 11, is the sweet spot (Imo). If you know how to install an OS without optical drive do that, if not, pick one up for 15$, grab an SSD for a boot drive for 80$, I reccomend 840pro series. HDD, you've got seagate and wd, just pick one and role with it, if it's DOA it's not the end of the world just refund it, lastly but not least, powersupply, I like seasonic, mainly because other companies go to them to have thier psu build by them, so if you want what I consider the best in the business, pick up a 700watt platinum series for 120$. Casefans, if you're willing to push out an extra hundred or so, pick up some corsair quiet series or preformance series fans, If you want some light strips, get alchemy cables, they're like 7$. Most of the advice i've given you is sound, and what I'll be doing. Keep in mind everything comes down to preference, like the monitor will run about 600$, you could be fine wih a 120$, you might not want headphones, you might want good quality surround sound speakers. All up to you. Take it all with a grain of salt. Learn what you can from this and what other people tell you. I usually go for what the people in the tech industry trust and reccomend, and most of the brands I've listed are just that.

Btw, gpu, nvidia maxwell is releasing Q1 Jan, pick up an 870. 70 of any series is the price to preformance best in the nvidia line. 770 is better then 680 but cheaper. (I believe, i'm too sleepy to check)

Well thought out post, just needs more structure :P

Maybe 250 GB SSDs in RAID1? Or even 500, if money is no object. 

set SSD's as CACHE. using it as a seperate storage device next to HDD is fail.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

That being said you should definitely give a more solid budget, If you're wanting to start from nothing i'd recommend a 2K system but if you'd like to save money you can definitely get away with 1,5K to 1250 fairly easily. The best thing to do if you're wanting to learn is not only look at all the systems that others put together but make you're own. I don't mean to be mean but everyone has their own allegiances, some people weigh the AMD vs. Intel battle where others will definitely try to save money vs. going totally overboard. 

To start i'd definitely give yourself a budget and go to PCPartsPicker.com and just start tinkering and PPP will tell you what parts go together/ any errors in building a system and a recommended wattage, then post it in the planned builds to get feedback. 

Other then that all you have to do is ask when you need help.

Good luck

L

Excellent advice I have been messing around on PPP and made a few systems. My budget is around 2k, so feel free to give your opinions. I am more of an Intel guy.

Excellent advice I have been messing around on PPP and made a few systems. My budget is around 2k, so feel free to give your opinions. I am more of an Intel guy.

Start posting them if you can (Haven't been paying attention much) then get feedback and learn from what ya do! As always keep up with the learning and good luck

L

CPU:i5-3570k OC'd to 4.0 MOBO: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: Asus 660Ti 2Gb OC Case: NZXT Source 210 Black and Windowed RAM: Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB Storage: WD 1TB Caviar Black, 3TB WD Green, 120GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler: CM TX3 PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W OS: Win 7 Perf: Corsair M65, Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Main with 17" Secondary, a Corsair K70, and ATH-M50's.