Twitch’s shift to HTML5 starts today

jos

Banner ads made the move to HTML5 from flash last year as well. I have a feeling this is a tech-wide move across the board. Flash is being phased out completely

Just now, Teddy07 said:

disabled on twitch, youtube and various other sites. I dont really care AD breaks because i just mute the stream

omg...am i the only bad guy here?

nah..jk i dun care

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Finally I can watch Twitch on Firefox.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

On 18/7/2016 at 4:14 PM, The Benjamins said:

Not for a few years h265 is about 3-4 times more CPU intensive then h264 and most PC's don't have hardware acceleration for h265 yet. New amd GPU, CPU (Zen), nvidia's GPU and Intel's CPUs now come with h265 hardware. 

Honestly though, simple H.265 playback is not that demanding. 3-4 times as much as H.264 sure, but if H.264 is only resulting in 1% CPU load then it's still just jumping to 3-4%.

Twitch is not just laggy because of the video playback.

On 7/18/2016 at 10:15 AM, -BirdiE- said:

6 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Honestly though, simple H.265 playback is not that demanding. 3-4 times as much as H.264 sure, but if H.264 is only resulting in 1% CPU load then it's still just jumping to 3-4%.

Twitch is not just laggy because of the video playback.

4k h265 uses 60-80% of my CPU and I have a 4770k OCed to 4.4Ghz

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

59 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

4k h265 uses 60-80% of my CPU and I have a 4770k OCed to 4.4Ghz

Most people don't run 4K, also I ran some sample 4K H.265 video and on my Core i5-3450 it was only about 40-50% load. 1080p much lower. And it scales with bitrate, to some extent, so streamed video will tend to have CPU usage on the low end of the scale. At least I doubt they'd be streaming these massive >50 Mbps videos to people.

7 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Most people don't run 4K, also I ran some sample 4K H.265 video and on my Core i5-3450 it was only about 40-50% load. 1080p much lower. And it scales with bitrate, to some extent, so streamed video will tend to have CPU usage on the low end of the scale. At least I doubt they'd be streaming these massive >50 Mbps videos to people.

True, I had some 4k h265 which ran 20-30% less CPU overhead. But on low power devices like tablets, Google TV things they can't run h265 with out dedicated hardware. 

Just now, The Benjamins said:

True, I had some 4k h265 which ran 20-30% less CPU overhead. But on low power devices like tablets, Google TV things they can't run h265 with out dedicated hardware. 

Yeah, those could just use H.264 though. No reason to remove fallback options just because shiny new H.265 is added. :)

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Yeah, those could just use H.264 though. No reason to remove fallback options just because shiny new H.265 is added. :)

well the reason h.265 is being pushed is that it can get the same quality with about half the bitrate. so for companies like Netflix it makes streaming 4k possible or 1080p content cheaper to stream. It is just a matter of waiting out devices with hardware accelerated h.265 decoding