Twitch’s shift to HTML5 starts today

jos
On 7/14/2016 at 11:23 AM, The Benjamins said:

that is recommended you can stream higher then that.

Unless you get special permission from Twitch, you cannot stream at higher bitrates as that is considered server abuse and is a bannable offense. 

So has anyone tried it yet ? It isnt even showing up for me at all.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

It's in beta and only for Twitch Turbo members for now.

well finally, i cant watch anything twitch on my pc with firefox cuz it will just crash firefox while playing the ad. If it does manage to get passed the ad then the stream is just choppy and soon crashes firefox anyway... i have to use chrome to watch twitch now :(. i don't like chrome, so i only use it for twitch now which i don't watch much anyway.

I also agree with a lot of ppl here about the bitrate and quality options for everyone. It really sucks to have 100mbit upload and not being able to use it for twitch cuz everyone will be whining about the bitrate being to high. All i want from twitch now is for everyone to get quality options. i don't care about rewinding.

I have no signature

Waited for that change for quite a while, Flash uses noticably more resources on my machines so I used mostly dedicated programs for viewing stream like livestreamer.

19 hours ago, bobhays said:

lol if 8mbps streaming is too small for 1080p, it seems like you're just being a prick. They can't just stream source to everyone, the bandwidth would be ridiculous.

If you think even 40Mbps is even close to source 1080p, it seems like you just shouldn't be commenting...

Lossless compression for 1080p is ~ 35-45Mbps (h.264). Raw 1080p is ~ 497Mbps. When you've compressed 1080p down to 8Mbps (1 fifth of the lossless quality), and high quality 600p videos look better, then I think you can very confidently say 8Mbps is not enough for 1080p.

Want to use less bandwidth? Cool. Turn down the quality.

Could use the Livestreamer GUI and watch in VLC/MPC with H264 encoding. Pretty light on CPU usage (on my 3570K anyway)

Ugh, hopefully in the long term they make HTML5 an option you can turn off in the settings. I'm probably the only one in this camp, but I find it to be horribly buggy and they tend to buffer like crazy because HTML5 video players can't preload for some idiotic reason. Sure, flash isn't the most secure or lightweight, but for me it atleast works properly and thats more than I can say for HTML5.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Finally. Let's get rid of flash already.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Love a bit of HTML5, Much more efficient than flash so that's fantastic!

Jr. Systems Administrator

*All my opinions are my own based on my Technical Experiences and Tech Reviews!

58 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

If you think even 40Mbps is even close to source 1080p, it seems like you just shouldn't be commenting...

Lossless compression for 1080p is ~ 35-45Mbps (h.264). Raw 1080p is ~ 497Mbps. When you've compressed 1080p down to 8Mbps (1 fifth of the lossless quality), and high quality 600p videos look better, then I think you can very confidently say 8Mbps is not enough for 1080p.

All depends on what you're using to encode the stream in. Sure it's not enough for MPEG2 or h264, but h265 it's pretty damn good for what it's worth.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

23 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

All depends on what you're using to encode the stream in. Sure it's not enough for MPEG2 or h264, but h265 it's pretty damn good for what it's worth.

Yeah. It would be nice if twitch or youtube started using h.265.

12 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

Yep. YouTube would benefit greatly from h265 support, mainly in file size, which results in less to buffer, which they could use to let you buffer more of the video lol

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

12 hours ago, -BirdiE- said:

Ok prickness confirmed...

If you ready my comment i said source bandwidth would be ridiculous. You also aren't going to get blu-ray quality from streaming. I'm not talking about bandwidth for end users but bandwidth for the companies hosting the content. High quality 600p absolutely do not look better than 1080p just going off of youtube 1080p compared to my own recording.

Don't get me wrong I understand that there is a market for high quality streaming from people who care enough to have a nice setup and the bandwidth for it. (I assume you fall in this category), but for 95% of people they just want to watch a video of decent enough quality. 8mbps is not terrible for 1080p, i'd prefer closer to 15, but at least on youtube you can just turn up the res if a higher res video was uploaded and then you'll get higher bandwidth. Netflix on the other hand is crap with regards to settings.

Side note: Source video could very easily be 40mbps since the majority of video is recorded compressed.

4 hours ago, bobhays said:

High quality 600p absolutely do not look better than 1080p just going off of youtube 1080p compared to my own recording.

Ok. No knowledge confirmed.

I'm not going to spend my time explaining things to you and doing the math just because you feel the need to have strong opinions on things you don't understand.

15 hours ago, -BirdiE- said:

15 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yep. YouTube would benefit greatly from h265 support, mainly in file size, which results in less to buffer, which they could use to let you buffer more of the video lol

Not for a few years h265 is about 3-4 times more CPU intensive then h264 and most PC's don't have hardware acceleration for h265 yet. New amd GPU, CPU (Zen), nvidia's GPU and Intel's CPUs now come with h265 hardware. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Not for a few years h265 is about 3-4 times more CPU intensive then h264 and most PC's don't have hardware acceleration for h265 yet. New amd GPU, CPU (Zen), nvidia's GPU and Intel's CPUs now come with h265 hardware. 

Correction... Great for consumers... lol

I guess you also have people that are rocking some pretty old CPUs that YouTube want to still have access (pre 'i' series).

I think the big reason is also that it would put a LOT more strain on their servers to re-encode any of the video.

On July 14, 2016 at 3:15 PM, MilkJugg24 said:

This has been going on for almost a year now. Only certain users have been getting rotated in and out of the program.

There are also addons you can get that force HTML5 as well.

The author of this article clearly had no idea what they're talking about.

-No sauce

-Took a picture of their screen with a camera

-Appears to be a casual using a macbook and watching a streamer that was playing Pokemon X&Y at the time.

I'll take my chances and say this is yet another journalist being a dumbass in the tech department.

they sent out an e-mail to all Twitch Turbo subscribers saying that the html5 closed beta is live and how to turn it on

source: my e-mail

Screen+Shot+2016-07-18+at+12.41.05+PM.png

13 hours ago, -BirdiE- said:

Ok. No knowledge confirmed.

I'm not going to spend my time explaining things to you and doing the math just because you feel the need to have strong opinions on things you don't understand.

You're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about if you think any 600p video looks better than a properly encoded 8mbps 1080p video on a >1080p display

This is quite interesting to see massive hate for flash.

Anyone want to inform a less-informed person in small chunks on what's so bad about flash? Thanks! :)

26 minutes ago, Crt said:

This is quite interesting to see massive hate for flash.

Anyone want to inform a less-informed person in small chunks on what's so bad about flash? Thanks! :)

On 7/14/2016 at 7:38 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

As someone who's created applications and animations in Flash before, I can confirm all the negative sentiment toward it is justified :D The performance is quite poor, and it creates a ton of other problems due to whatever you're loading being a "black box" more or less.  Everything should be trying to move toward HTML5, and actually I'm shocked this hadn't already been done.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 7/15/2016 at 0:51 AM, djdwosk97 said:

good, now i can watch twitch on my laptop without the cpu fan shooting up to 100% because flash is garbage.

Totally agree.

I always thought it was google chrome...

So in the end it was flash that's used by google chrome causing this issue... Hmmm...

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 7/15/2016 at 3:24 AM, MilkJugg24 said:

snip

I am using a 1440p monitor and somehow I regretted buying it.

1080p is still the shit. 

On 7/15/2016 at 3:28 AM, Teddy07 said:

I am so glad for the change.

Twitch began to lag brutally sometimes after ads because it suddenly went down to ~5-10 fps on my laptop. I then reload the site and all works fine again.

Ads?  What Ads??

Not using adblock??? 

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

Ads?  What Ads??

Not using adblock??? 

disabled on twitch, youtube and various other sites. I dont really care AD breaks because i just mute the stream