Anyone Else Dream of Owning Supercomputer

I've always wanted to own a supercomputer. For no reason other than to own something with that sheer level of performance.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Uh yeah, I've had my dreams.  It would just be for lolz and the status of owning one.  

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

performance to do what? enzyme analysis? molecular gnome comparisons.

prolly better ideas to be had for lotz less cost involved.

I would use it for folding and rendering fractals xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Actually no, not really. At least not in the traditional sense of the term super computer.

My only tech related dream is creating a computer that verbally begs me for mercy every time i hold down the power button, and says "Welcome back sir, logging in for the day?" or something along those lines every time i turn it on. But it has to have a facial scanner so it only does this when im the person turning it on/off; it would just get weird if it did it when ever anyone turned it on or off. Those plebians must never understand my darker self.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would use it for folding and rendering fractals

That's exactly what I was thinking. It may be somewhat irresponsible, but it would feel mighty good to double F@H compute power.

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. It may be somewhat irresponsible, but it would feel mighty good to double F@H compute power.

1 billion points per day

homer_simpson.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Not really. Dont have any kind of application that would benefit from one. Actually, on second thought it could be used to start a company that rents compute power to companies that need it.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would use it for folding and rendering fractals xD 

but that power bill...

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

2 minutes ago, DrM said:

but that power bill...

well in an imaginary world where it's practical and affordable to have your own super computer, the power probably won't be an issue ;)

Well TBH....if you own at least 1 PS3 you actually do have a super computer due to the Cell processor.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well in an imaginary world where it's practical and affordable to have your own super computer, the power probably won't be an issue ;)

It is affordable when you look at the cost of second hand PS3 and the fact that they can be linked together.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Well TBH....if you own at least 1 PS3 you actually do have a super computer due to the Cell processor.

It is affordable when you look at the cost of second hand PS3 and the fact that they can be linked together.

Apparently the PS3 was like 2 TFLOPs, just by a quick google search.  I'd need hundreds if not over a thousand to accomplish my vision of "super" doing it that way.

22 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

1 billion points per day

According to my math, you can expect approximately 35,382 PPD per teraflop. So you would think that the #1 computer on Top 500 would generate approximately 3,291,021,348 PPD...

22 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

homer_simpson.jpg

All your points are belong to me

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Apparently the PS3 was like 2 TFLOPs, just by a quick google search.  I'd need hundreds if not over a thousand to accomplish my vision of "super" doing it that way.

Its still the most affordable method.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I owned one.  When I bought my Mac G4, I had to sign an agreement not to sell it to a list of nations where export of super computers was prohibited.

Shortly after the release of the G4, I believe the definition of super computer was changed.

2 hours ago, NavyCuda said:

I owned one.  When I bought my Mac G4, I had to sign an agreement not to sell it to a list of nations where export of super computers was prohibited.

Shortly after the release of the G4, I believe the definition of super computer was changed.

The lullzzzz are strong with this one.

But if you're being serious, I believe that it may have been because that was a PowerPC machine. PowerPC (now IBM POWER) processors are most often used in clusters and servers, although clusters and servers do not most often use POWER, even though they may use and have lots of power.

EDIT:: Upon actual research, that was actually why. It's called "dual-use" technologies/goods. It actually had more to do with the MTOPS rating of the processor, but whatever.

13 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

The lullzzzz are strong with this one.

But if you're being serious, I believe that it may have been because that was a PowerPC machine. PowerPC (now IBM POWER) processors are most often used in clusters and servers, although clusters and servers do not most often use POWER, even though they may use and have lots of power.

It's true, I had to sign the form before they would take my money!

I don't even know what I'll be doing wish SLI GTX 980 Tis other than No Man's Sky and at some point Witcher 3.

Linus is my fetish.