what is a safe core temp under load for my CPU?

hi so i have an intel Xeon X5460 CPU that i managed to overclock to 4.0GHz. what would be a safe temp for the CPU and the cores under load. i know intel says the case spec for this CPU is 63c but when i play bf4 or fallout 4 the hottest CPU core would sit at a toasty 69c to 73c at times. is that a safe temp for my CPU. i feel like that is too hot. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

hi so i have an intel Xeon X5460 CPU that i managed to overclock to 4.0GHz. what would be a safe temp for the CPU and the cores under load. i know intel says the case spec for this CPU is 63c but when i play bf4 or fallout 4 the hottest CPU core would sit at a toasty 69c to 73c at times. is that a safe temp for my CPU. i feel like that is too hot. 

For a normal CPU that temp is ok. I don't know about a Xeon though...

If processor specs say 63 C umm that's a little to hot, I'd tone it down a bit if you're going out of spec since usually intel has a good reason for setting temp specs.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, Tedny said:

i know i just said that intel's case spec for my CPU is 63c max at the IHS. but what i see is that my cores are hitting 69c to 73c under load. idk about my IHS though 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

the tcase for my cpu is 74, and some peoples run hotter, especially with an oc so ignore the tcase.

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i know i just said that intel's case spec for my CPU is 63c max at the IHS. but what i see is that my cores are hitting 69c to 73c under load. 

what are you doing with the cpu when it hits those temps? also maybe try applying new thermal paste and even buying another cooler?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

1 minute ago, IMPERIUS said:

what are you doing with the cpu when it hits those temps? also maybe try applying new thermal paste and even buying another cooler?

im running fallout 4 and battlefield 4 to get those temps. havent ran prime95 yet but im worried id overheat the CPU if i did 

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

im running fallout 4 and battlefield 4 to get those temps. havent ran prime95 yet but im worried id overheat the CPU if i did 

yea better not try it out. And do try doing the two suggestions I mentioned above

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

since Intel sais 63 and you're hitting 70+, you are already overheating

check if the CPU isn't thermal throttling

also, how are you measuring temps?

due to speciffic mobo support, the software could show wrong values

1 minute ago, IMPERIUS said:

yea better not try it out. And do try doing the two suggestions I mentioned above

i repasted the CPU with Artic silver 5 yesterday. did a pea sized dot in the center then seating the heatsink down. 

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

since Intel sais 63 and you're hitting 70+, you are already overheating

check if the CPU isn't thermal throttling

also, how are you measuring temps?

due to speciffic mobo support, the software could show wrong values

it checked its still running at 4.0GHz even when im hammering it with bf4 and fallout 4. i also made a custom bios to support the xeon already so it should show correct temps.

12 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Your core temps are fine.  You're running the chip out of spec so expect higher core temps.  I believe TjMaxx on your chip is 85c or so.  I wouldn't submit it to anything crazy like Primes95.

Dude, it's totally fine. Case temp is not the same as core temp. My Q6600 runs at 85 C under load, and I've been running it for over a year now. Your temps are very safe. If they were unsafe your motherboard would shut down to save the CPU. You are good dude

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

1 minute ago, catzambia said:

Dude, it's totally fine. Case temp is not the same as core temp. My Q6600 runs at 85 C under load, and I've been running it for over a year now. You're temps are very safe. If they were unsafe your motherboard would shut down to save the CPU. You are good dude

i used to have a q9300 in there before but then i swapped it for the xeon cpu to get higher overclocks