DDR3L vs DDR3 Memory Compatibility

I just wanted to check, I know there are some boards out there that only support DDR3 Low Voltage memory. Does a board that supports normal voltage DDR3 also support DDR3L or is it something that you just have to check the compatibility of each and every board?

Yes it is supported.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

So I'm assuming that if I just make sure I always get DDR3L memory it'll work in what ever board I have for the most part?

4 minutes ago, AdmnPower said:

So I'm assuming that if I just make sure I always get DDR3L memory it'll work in what ever board I have for the most part?

Pretty much, although if you're looking at a Skylake PC, you might as well go with DDR4. Not that much more expensive than DDR3.

5 minutes ago, AdmnPower said:

Unless its not DDR3 :P

Keep in mind many pre-Skylake boards will try to run your memory at 1.5v instead of its rated 1.35 or 1.2, but you can change that in the BIOS most of the time.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I think its pretty much non issue as the DDR3L motherboards I have come across are in laptops and then for skylake DDR4 is more or less on par DDR3 for price so there is no point in going DDR3 there.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

1 minute ago, Cela1 said:

Unless its not DDR3 :P

Well yeah, lol. 

3 minutes ago, pokechat8978 said:

Pretty much, although if you're looking at a Skylake PC, you might as well go with DDR4. Not that much more expensive than DDR3.

I've been doing some upgrades on prebuilt systems lately and one of them only supported DDR3L which caused me some issues. I'm ready for people to start having skylake stuff for sure. 

2 minutes ago, trag1c said:

I think its pretty much non issue as the DDR3L motherboards I have come across are in laptops and then for skylake DDR4 is more or less on par DDR3 for price so there is no point in going DDR3 there.

Unless you're looking at a Dell Optiplex 3040 Small Form Factor. Those, I've learned, only support DDR3L desktop memory. I agree though, skylake and DDR4 are the way to go. 

Make sure that you don't mix low voltage modules with normal voltage ones and you should be in business.

When in doubt, re-format.

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Make sure that you don't mix low voltage modules with normal voltage ones and you should be in business.

Good point, I could see where that could cause problems.