Seagate to fire 14% of its staff (= 6,500) people

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

I hardly think it's the crime of the century.

On-topic, SSD's are taking over, surely Seagate would have moved into the SSD market, or at least be looking to make the move?

I wouldn't buy Seagate SSDs even if they made them.

I only trust Adata, Samsung and Intel with SSDs.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Western Digital saw the light, Seagate needs to catch up.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

So seagate has around 46,000 employees? Good to know i guess.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

23 hours ago, Simon771 said:

SSD are taking over the market.

Today you can get 960GB SSD for 130$.

Slowly HDD will become thing of the past if you ask me, and seagate isn't working towards SSD as far as I know. So we can see more reports like that from them.

Once a 1TB SSD or 2TB SSD becomes closer to the price of 1TB to 2TB HDDs, HDDs will then be dead for most cases. But looking at where 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB SSDs are at in price that'll probably be a few years before those start coming down in price so I think HDD sales could still go up in the coming years even as we wait for the larger SSDs to go down in price. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

16 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I wouldn't buy Seagate SSDs even if they made them.

I only trust Adata, Samsung and Intel with SSDs.

Well what if Seagate bought Adata or Toshiba/OCZ? And anyways what's wrong with Seagate drives. The 1TB and 2TB drives are just as reliable as WDC drives. 

Until SSD manufacturers find a way to add redundancy to a drive/stop them from outright failing without notice OR get the $/gb to about two thirds that of HDDs then HDDs will still have a use as bsckups as far as I'm concerned.

Right now, SSDs don't make great backup drives (Ignoring the cost) because while they're less likely to fail, when they do fail it's more likely to be catastrophic (instantly and out of the blue with little chance of data recovery). So until there is some solution to that (whether it be built in redundancy or a low enough $/gb for some form of raid) I wouldn't dare think about using an SSD as a backup drive.

With that said, the number of people who back up their data is pretty low and the number of people who would attempt to recover data from a dead HDD is even less.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 hours ago, wcreek said:

Once a 1TB SSD or 2TB SSD becomes closer to the price of 1TB to 2TB HDDs, HDDs will then be dead for most cases. But looking at where 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB SSDs are at in price that'll probably be a few years before those start coming down in price so I think HDD sales could still go up in the coming years even as we wait for the larger SSDs to go down in price. 

I didn't say SSD will push HDD aside in next few years.

But after 10 or 15 years ... I can see prices getting there :) 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 hour ago, Simon771 said:

I didn't say SSD will push HDD aside in next few years.

But after 10 or 15 years ... I can see prices getting there :) 

Coming years could mean 10 to 15 years :P 

On all fronts SSDs need to get to a point where when they fail they just don't outright fail so that being able to back that data up some where will have a bit of a chance. 

I think it's important to point out that "firing" and "laying off" are two very different things. In this case, if Seagate isn't making enough money to maintain their current employee numbers, then they would be laying them off. Firing implies that the employees did something that caused Seagate to terminate their employment.

Also, HDDs are not a thing of the past, they are very much still relevant for mass storage.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

15 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Coming years could mean 10 to 15 years :P 

On all fronts SSDs need to get to a point where when they fail they just don't outright fail so that being able to back that data up some where will have a bit of a chance. 

Either that or reach a price point where you can do raid5/6 SSDs for the same cost as a single HDD.

I would personally be fine with either, although I would obviously prefer a singular drive to have some form of redundancy so I don't need three+ drives in my laptop (and of course for the average person RAID isn't an option).

9 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

I think it's important to point out that "firing" and "laying off" are two very different things. In this case, if Seagate isn't making enough money to maintain their current employee numbers, then they would be laying them off. Firing implies that the employees did something that caused Seagate to terminate their employment.

Also, HDDs are not a thing of the past, they are very much still relevant for mass storage.

They are still important for mass storage, however, consider the number of users who actually have a drive for mass storage. Most people have their primary drive in their computer and that's it (and those drives are transitioning to SSDs).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

23 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

You're title says "6.500". Change to "6,500" or "6500".

It's a non english speaking thing.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

On 7/12/2016 at 2:40 PM, Simon771 said:

If you can find me a 960gb SSD for $130 i will buy 

HDD's will never run out since they are cheaper to produce and will only used for Archives so they wont go out but computers wont use them

EDIT : And if your a productivity freak and store all of your finished products or projects

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

9 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

If you can find me a 960gb SSD for $130 i will buy 

HDD's will never run out since they are cheaper to produce and will only used for Archives so they wont go out but computers wont use them

EDIT : And if your a productivity freak and store all of your finished products or projects

One day SSDs will offer higher capacities at a lower price than HDDs. It's just a matter of time as we're nearing the physical limit of mechanical storage whereas flash storage still has plenty of room to grow and become cheaper. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

One day

You know when that one day will come? having SSDs that have HUGE capacity for a cheaper price than a HDD

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

10 hours ago, wcreek said:

Well what if Seagate bought Adata or Toshiba/OCZ? And anyways what's wrong with Seagate drives. The 1TB and 2TB drives are just as reliable as WDC drives. 

Ummmm, hate to break it to you, but Seagate 2TB HDD do start to wear out well before Western Digitial HDD (excluding the U5-old but well made+protected HDD). As it stands the SMART status of my Baracuda is already well into the decline towards failuire-my WD Blue with well over four times as much use still is as good as new (like my Spinpoint HAJC250-those are even higher quality HDD)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Ummmm, hate to break it to you, but Seagate 2TB HDD do start to wear out well before Western Digitial HDD (excluding the U5-old but well made+protected HDD). As it stands the SMART status of my Baracuda is already well into the decline towards failuire-my WD Blue with well over four times as much use still is as good as new (like my Spinpoint HAJC250-those are even higher quality HDD)

Eh. Maybe sure idk.

Very sad to hear this. I haven't seen any innovation from Seagate as of lately.  If they go in the same path in a couple of years they gonna be irrelevant(remember blockbuster?). I hope for their best interest they do something about it. Maybe follow WD footsteps and acquire an SSD company? 

Sadly their hybrid drives aren't useful enough, they need to make the caches bigger for it to be worth getting. 

I love my SSHD sometimes when I feel like playing the same game over and over. The loading screens get so fast after a couple rounds.

It's still the same old same old when I download a new game, or pull one out I haven't played in a while.

Spoiler

On 12/7/2016 at 2:50 PM, Notional said:

Seagate is gone in 5-10 years. They will continue to diminish, only relying on high capacity backup drives. But even those will be surpassed by SSD's soon anyways. Mechanical HDD's are a thing of the past, and will be phased out over the next 5-10 years. Seagate didn't buy an SSD company like Western Digital did, and they will fall as a result.

Hi!

On 12/7/2016 at 9:32 PM, Kierax said:

I hardly think it's the crime of the century.

On-topic, SSD's are taking over, surely Seagate would have moved into the SSD market, or at least be looking to make the move?

Hello.

23 hours ago, wcreek said:

Buying Adata wouldn't necessarily help their position that much. Buying Toshiba is a bit unfeasible as they're like 5 times the size of Seagate, and Toshiba wouldn't want to let go of their OCZ purchase.

55 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Hi!

Hello.

And how has that worked out 2 years later? Yeah they have a controller. Does anyone use Sandforce anymore? The nand is a joke. Never heard of them, and never seen any ssd with that nand. It probably is not competitive in neither price nor capacity.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

On 7/12/2016 at 8:40 AM, Simon771 said:

SSD are taking over the market.

Slowly HDD will become thing of the past if you ask me, and seagate isn't working towards SSD as far as I know. So we can see more reports like that from them.

Where the hell can I get that? I've never seen a >500GB SSD for less than $150.

System:  i7-6700k @ 4.5 GHz Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 | Gigabyte GA-Z170N Gaming 5 ITX 

Corsair SF600 SFX PSU Seagate 2TB HDD, 1TB SSHD | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Boot DriveSilverstone ML08B-H |

10 hours ago, Autoimmunity said:

Where the hell can I get that? I've never seen a >500GB SSD for less than $150.

It was on Amazon sale.

So it will be stanrad price in a year.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB