AMD A10-7890K vs Intel Core i5-4460

Go to solution Solved by Sintezza,

Well technically speaking the core i5 is a true quadcore.

The 7890K is basicly a true quadcore aswell, however its based on the CMT architecutre.

You basicly have 2 modules with each 2 integer cores sharing cache and fpu.

Both cores have their own fpp, which basicly makes it possible to handle 4 threads at the same time.

However they dont perform as true quadcores, and you basicly cannot realy compair them on pure clockspeeds etc basicly.

Because these 2 cpu´s are totaly diffrent architectures.

Anyway to keep a long story short, purly based on performance the i5 will be better.

This is because intel cpu´s simply have a better per core performance and ipc.

However with a lowend gpu like a GTX950, it most likely wont realy matter which of the 2 cpu´s you go with.

Since you will be gpu limmited pretty much all the time.

Especialy in most newer AAA games.

Which is better? The AMD A10-7890K or the Intel Core i5-4460? I am having a hard time deciding on this because they are almost the same, their specs, etc. But which is more powerful? I will pair this up with a GTX950. 

Their differences: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/459/AMD_A10-Series_A10-7890K_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-4460.html

Does the 7890k has true 4 cores and 4 threads? Because alot of AMD APUs says it has 4 cores but in the computer itself it just shows 2.

Will the 4460 outperform the 7890k because it is more expensive? And the 4460 has 7MB while the 7890K has only 4MB of L2+L3 Cache?

The 7890K is latest than the 4460 therefore im thinking that this is the way to go. The 4460 was released in the year 2014 while the 7890K was release just this March. 

And lastly, the 7890K is unlocked therefore I can overclock it while the 4460 is locked.

Help me decide on this people....

Intel Core i5 4460 3.2GHz / Asus B85M-Gamer / Palit GeForce GTX 950 / Kingston Hyper-X Fury 1600MHz 8Gb x4 / Aerocool Strike-X 600W / Corsair H80i / Western Digital 1TB Black

The reason why programs like Task Manager say the CPU has two cores is because the architecture relies on the whole "module" concept from Bulldozer where each module is seen as a core, and each integer core is seen as a thread. I think the 4460 will perform better overall despite being an older product. Bear in mind that the number of cores and clock speeds are not the only thing to consider in purchasing any CPU or graphics card - the architecture is also very important as well.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, Keanu Lorenzo said:

Which is better? The AMD A10-7890K or the Intel Core i5-4460? I am having a hard time deciding on this because they are almost the same, their specs, etc. But which is more powerful? I will pair this up with a GTX950. 

Their differences: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/459/AMD_A10-Series_A10-7890K_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-4460.html

Does the 7890k has true 4 cores and 4 threads? Because alot of AMD APUs says it has 4 cores but in the computer itself it just shows 2.

Will the 4460 outperform the 7890k because it is more expensive? And the 4460 has 7MB while the 7890K has only 4MB of L2+L3 Cache?

The 7890K is latest than the 4460 therefore im thinking that this is the way to go. The 4460 was released in the year 2014 while the 7890K was release just this March. 

And lastly, the 7890K is unlocked therefore I can overclock it while the 4460 is locked.

Help me decide on this people....

AMD A10 is an APU. Meaning its a CPU/APU but you already got a GPU so its not needed.

And the i5 while locked is more powerful than the AMD APU. Intel CPU's are best this time and year, unless your ON A REALLY STRICT BUDGET.

So go with the i5 it will make everything better overall for your computer. From games, to emulators.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

2 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

AMD A10 is an APU. Meaning its a CPU/APU but you already got a GPU so its not needed

The 4460 is categorically an APU as well.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The reason why programs like Task Manager say the CPU has two cores is because the architecture relies on the whole "module" concept from Bulldozer where each module is seen as a core, and each integer core is seen as a thread. I think the 4460 will perform better overall despite being an older product. Bear in mind that the number of cores and clock speeds are not the only thing to consider in purchasing any CPU or graphics card - the architecture is also very important as well.

By how much will the 4460 outperform the 7890K? 10%?

Intel Core i5 4460 3.2GHz / Asus B85M-Gamer / Palit GeForce GTX 950 / Kingston Hyper-X Fury 1600MHz 8Gb x4 / Aerocool Strike-X 600W / Corsair H80i / Western Digital 1TB Black

5 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

AMD A10 is an APU. Meaning its a CPU/APU but you already got a GPU so its not needed.

And the i5 while locked is more powerful than the AMD APU. Intel CPU's are best this time and year, unless your ON A REALLY STRICT BUDGET.

So go with the i5 it will make everything better overall for your computer. From games, to emulators.

But do you think getting the 7890K isnt that bad? By how much will the 4460 outperform the 7890K?

3 minutes ago, Keanu Lorenzo said:

This will give you at least a relative look at the performance you can expect from the 4460 compared to the 7890K. Unfortunately they have no Core i5 in that review at all, but they do have a Core i3 4160 so that will give you some idea of what's to be expected from the 4460.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a10-7890k-gaming-performance-benchmark,4491.html

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

This will give you at least a relative look at the performance you can expect from the 4460 compared to the 7890K. Unfortunately they have no Core i5 in that review at all, but they do have a Core i3 4160 so that will give you some idea of what's to be expected from the 4460.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a10-7890k-gaming-performance-benchmark,4491.html

The link that you've provided is an error. It says Bad Request - Error 400.

55 minutes ago, Keanu Lorenzo said:

The link that you've provided is an error. It says Bad Request - Error 400.

Odd. It was viewable on my desktop, but now I cannot view on my phone, and Googling the review provides the same reason result - that dumb error. 

50 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Odd. It was viewable on my desktop, but now I cannot view on my phone, and Googling the review provides the same reason result - that dumb error. 

Lol. Hope you can send it out soon

2 hours ago, Keanu Lorenzo said:

Much more. The i5 4460 is a much more powerful cpu than the 7890k. Its almost twice as powerful.

8 minutes ago, david cassar said:

Much more. The i5 4460 is a much more powerful cpu than the 7890k. Its almost twice as powerful.

Wow... well, after seeing your comment I think ill just buy the i5. Im surprised. Well, in this case, i need to buy another motherboard.

1 minute ago, Keanu Lorenzo said:

Wow... well, after seeing your comment I think ill just buy the i5. Im surprised. Well, in this case, i need to buy another motherboard.

wait wait wait do you already have an a10 7890k?

The 7890K is basicly a true quadcore aswell, however its based on the CMT architecutre.

Both cores have their own fpp, which basicly makes it possible to handle 4 threads at the same time.

However they dont perform as true quadcores, and you basicly cannot realy compair them on pure clockspeeds etc basicly.

Anyway to keep a long story short, purly based on performance the i5 will be better.

However with a lowend gpu like a GTX950, it most likely wont realy matter which of the 2 cpu´s you go with.

1 hour ago, david cassar said:

wait wait wait do you already have an a10 7890k?

Nope, but i already have a FM2+ Socket Motherboard which supports the 7890K.

Thought of just upgrading the CPU because this PCs current is an A6-6400K which bottlenecks with the GTX950.

But now i guess i need to save to get the 4460 and a new motherboard that supports it.

1 hour ago, Sintezza said:

Yeah. Thats what Im planning on doing now so I can upgrade this GPU soon. I am looking forward to see the GPU 100% under load and the CPU not reaching 100. This way I can use and get the full potential of my graphics card for my games.

This upgrade will cost me more but i guess this upgrade is worth it. Getting a motherboard that can support 6Gb/s SATA and has a powerful CPU than the 7890K, this will definetly increase my processing ang graphics performance.

Im currently using A6-6400K CPU with the GTX950 and my CPU Usage is 100% all of the time while the GPU is between 0-20% when gaming. And my motherboard only supports 3Gb/s. Upgrading it to 6Gb/s will decrease loading times of apps and games. This will surely boost my entire system performance.

20 minutes ago, Keanu Lorenzo said:

Nope, but i already have a FM2+ Socket Motherboard which supports the 7890K.

Thought of just upgrading the CPU because this PCs current is an A6-6400K which bottlenecks with the GTX950.

But now i guess i need to save to get the 4460 and a new motherboard that supports it.

Honestly I would get an athlon 860k or 760k and get a gtx 950. The athlon 860k is basically a 7890k without the integrated gpu and is significantly cheaper. You should get great performance with the both of them.

I am looking forward to this System Build:

CPU: A6-6400K -> I5 4460

Motherboard: Asus A55BM-E -> Gigabyte GA-B85M-Gaming 3

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866 -> 1600 (underclock because of the CPUs max supported freq.)

5 minutes ago, david cassar said:

Honestly I would get an athlon 860k or 760k and get a gtx 950. The athlon 860k is basically a 7890k without the integrated gpu and is significantly cheaper. You should get great performance with the both of them.

yeah but the i5-4460 is a lot faster than any of those chips:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-860K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4460/3265vs2310

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Getting those king of CPUs are difficult in my place.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah but the i5-4460 is a lot faster than any of those chips:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-860K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4460/3265vs2310

Obviously it is much faster. But if op is gonna get a gtx 950 as his graphics card I don't see reason he has to spend a lot more money for a new cpu and new platform. I would reccomend he gets an athlon 860k and the gtx 950 and then in the future he can think about upgrading.

2 minutes ago, Keanu Lorenzo said:

Getting those king of CPUs are difficult in my place.

Are they not availible? 

Are they not availible? 

No

2 minutes ago, Keanu Lorenzo said:

No

What cpus are available?  Are there any core i3s?

2 minutes ago, david cassar said:

What cpus are available?  Are there any core i3s?

Here are someScreenshot_2016-07-12-22-29-52.png