HTC is permanently slashing the price of the HTC 10

AlTech
4 hours ago, CyberneticTitan said:

The best damn audio you've ever heard from a phone's built-in speakers.

I have a HTC 10. AMA.

Too bad I don't listen to music from phone at all.

If they slashed it to $399 then they would have a chancas as then it would compete with the OnePlus 3

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

10 minutes ago, asim1999 said:

If they slashed it to $399 then they would have a chancas as then it would compete with the OnePlus 3

If HTC 10 sold at $399 it would lose money. The OnePlus 3 is a mid range phone that might have high end specs but everything else is a cut corner. The display is Pentie, the audio quality is mediocre, and OnePlus is infamous for having very minimal and ineffective customer support. You get what you pay for.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

19 hours ago, NuclearPeace said:

If HTC 10 sold at $399 it would lose money. The OnePlus 3 is a mid range phone that might have high end specs but everything else is a cut corner. The display is Pentie, the audio quality is mediocre, and OnePlus is infamous for having very minimal and ineffective customer support. You get what you pay for.

I'd say the display on the OnePlus 3 is pretty competitive with the display on the HTC 10. The OnePlus is lower resolution but better in other areas (like color accuracy, brightness, black levels, contrast, etc). I would not call it fair to say they cut corners, unless you also want to say HTC cut corners on the display in other ways.

When you say the audio quality is mediocre, do you mean the speaker? If so, you might have a point. But again, HTC went from really good speakers to a much worse speaker setup in the 10. Does that mean they also cut corners? Or does that mean there were other factors and they had to do trade offs?

So what you are saying is that a slightly better speaker and slightly better customer support (HTC has terrible customer support as well, ask Linus) is worth 200 dollars to you? I can't say I agree. There are obviously other differences too (microSD vs bigger internal storage) but overall I'd say the OnePlus 3 and HTC 10 are very comparable, other than the price.

I definitely think HTC should have cut the price more. If OnePlus can make a profit selling the 3 for 400 dollars, then I am sure HTC could selling the 10 too (unless they are just not as efficient as OnePlus, in which case they need to improve).